Game Thread 5/22: BOS @ SOX

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be a great one to win. A sweep going into a soft part of the schedule would give the Sox a legit opportunity to get back over .500 and possibly get back into a position to contend.

Dunn might have found something with his swing, which could go a long way for the Sox to win games. Now we need Konerko to do the same, get Beckham and Danks off the DL, and hopefully get to 49-38 by July 8.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 22, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
This would be a great one to win. A sweep going into a soft part of the schedule would give the Sox a legit opportunity to get back over .500 and possibly get back into a position to contend.

Dunn might have found something with his swing, which could go a long way for the Sox to win games. Now we need Konerko to do the same, get Beckham and Danks off the DL, and hopefully get to 49-38 by July 8.

:lol:

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:39 AM)
I'm suppose to go to the game tonight but I'm not sure the weather will hold up. I read that it should be clear at game time but rain will fall toward the end. Is that was everyone else is reading?

I'm in the same boat, it looks like we're looking at a soggy game one way or another. Hopefully Hector can give us a quality start or it's going be really long night.

Last I saw it looks like they will get it in though (fingers crossed) with some rain drops falling before, during, and after the game.

:gosox3:

QUOTE (flavum @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
It's a long shot, but why give up in May? This team has some hope still. Not a lot, but some.

No, I was commenting more on the precision...what happens if we are 46-41? Will the season be over?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
No, I was commenting more on the precision...what happens if we are 46-41? Will the season be over?

I'm being consistent. Before the season started, I said 50-38 before playing the Tigers because they probably aren't good enough to win a 19-game season series, and the Sox aren't generally a second half team. With the rain out made up in August, I lowered it to 49-38. Then 40-35 to finish 89-73 to hopefully get a wildcard spot.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)
I'm being consistent. Before the season started, I said 50-38 before playing the Tigers because they probably aren't good enough to win a 19-game season series, and the Sox aren't generally a second half team. With the rain out made up in August, I lowered it to 49-38. Then 40-35 to finish 89-73 to hopefully get a wildcard spot.

I know...you know me, I just like to give you a hard time about how you break down the schedule...I just don't agree that you can break down a baseball schedule like you might an NFL or NCAA football schedule.

Santiago not in a position to succeed . Starting on short rest between starts and throwing bullpen session yesterday. If he fails it makes putting him in the bullpen easier. Would love to see him make it a hard decision for the Sox by pitching at least 5-6 good innings. Unfortunately the Sox need 7 after taxing the bullpen the last few days. Seems like a throw away game so a win to complete the sweep would be huge.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 22, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
Santiago not in a position to succeed . Starting on short rest between starts and throwing bullpen session yesterday. If he fails it makes putting him in the bullpen easier. Would love to see him make it a hard decision for the Sox by pitching at least 5-6 good innings. Unfortunately the Sox need 7 after taxing the bullpen the last few days. Seems like a throw away game so a win to complete the sweep would be huge.

Yeah I'd honestly rather start a AAA scrub on full rest.

No. If the other thread is accurate, the only guy on normal rest right now is Spencer Arroyo.

OK, you don't go and DFA somebody you may actually need in the future just to give yourself just to increase your odds of winning tonight's game by 10% or whatever.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 22, 2013 -> 09:20 PM)
It's 3 days of rest people. It isn't optimal, but far from a catastrophe. Lots of pitchers do this occasionally

It sounds like it's the bullpen session he had yesterday that's the bigger concern.

refresh my memory on what happened with that again?

If you are pitching on normal (4 days) or extra (5+ days) rest, you generally pitch a 30-50 pitch bullpen session halfway between starts. It keeps you sharp yet doesn't wear you out. If you know in advance that you are pitching on short (<4 days) rest, you skip the bullpen session. Apparently, it was right after Santiago had his bullpen session yesterday that the Sox decided to scratch Sale and pitch Santiago on short rest. So the issue isn't so much that Santiago threw 80+ pitches 4 days ago, but that he also threw 40+ pitches yesterday.