Who are our trading partners?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
Which teams are likely be in on the following players, assuming they hit the market:

Crain

Thornton

Lindstrom

Alexei

DeAza

Rios

Reed

Who needs these guys & what are we going to get for them? List the suitors & make up some deals.

I don't know about trading Reed right now.

He's just blown a couple of saves recently....unless someone absolutely bowls you over with an offer, you need Jones, Reed and maybe Webb to be the three homegrown pieces of next year's pen.

How many contending teams are desperate to put Addison Reed into a closing or set-up role? How many teams believe he would be effective if you took him out of that closer's mentality and pushed him into the 7th or 8th inning after closing for 1 1/2 years and all of his minor league and collegiate career?

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
Who takes Alexei for one?

Dodgers are out there, they could use a SS and can take on salary.

Who else needs a SS?

The Yankees might be a place to consider with Arod being up in the air. Alexei could slide over to 3rd when Jeter gets back.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Take a look at the standings in both leagues between now and the trade deadline. Any team within 5 games of a wild card birth with good position player prospects or young major leaguers. TX., Cinn., Pitts., St.L, . Odds of trading with NL slightly higher than AL.

I might like something involving Cincy. They're definitely in full win now mode & their farm has been producing some nice players. For the right situation we should be open to packaging players, like an OF + relievers, a setup man + a closer, 2 relievers, etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
The Yankees might be a place to consider with Arod being up in the air. Alexei could slide over to 3rd when Jeter gets back.

I like it. We've screwed them a couple times before, although they took Swisher off our hands for nothing & got use out of him. Let's screw those guys hard over Alexei, take a player from their farm.

I bet Cano would absolutely love playing with Alexei. NY would love watching Alexei play after all those years of mediocre to bad SS play.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
Who takes Alexei for one?

Dodgers are out there, they could use a SS and can take on salary.

Who else needs a SS?

Pittsburgh needs SS help pretty badly, and they have a nice system too. Collectively, they have a .532 OPS from the SS position and their normal starter, Clint Barmes, has an OPS of .496 this year and it's at .568 over his last 198 games.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)

The Yankees might be hesitant to take on a contract with a number of years on it since they're trying to get below the luxury tax threshold next year so that they don't pay the multi-year penalty, and they still have guys like Cano they need to resign as well. It's not much per year for them, but I'm not doing their bookkeeping so I don't know how much room they think they have to play with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
The Yankees might be hesitant to take on a contract with a number of years on it since they're trying to get below the luxury tax threshold next year so that they don't pay the multi-year penalty, and they still have guys like Cano they need to resign as well. It's not much per year for them, but I'm not doing their bookkeeping so I don't know how much room they think they have to play with.

I really get the feeling that Arod deal will be voided as soon as suspensions are announced.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
I might like something involving Cincy. They're definitely in full win now mode & their farm has been producing some nice players. For the right situation we should be open to packaging players, like an OF + relievers, a setup man + a closer, 2 relievers, etc.

I'm looking more at TX. especially if Nelson Cruz gets suspended in the Biogenesis scandal, but so far nothing's come of it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
Pittsburgh needs SS help pretty badly, and they have a nice system too. Collectively, they have a .532 OPS from the SS position and their normal starter, Clint Barmes, has an OPS of .496 this year and it's at .568 over his last 198 games.

If do a deal with Pittsburgh they have Jose Tabata. Not really a "build around" kind of player but comes with cost certainty & would give us a "plug-in" type should we trade Rios.

BTW holy s*** at Jason Grilli's numbers. My GOD. Who saw that coming? We had him once ya know. Damn KW, should have been psychic & held onto him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
I'm looking more at TX. especially if Nelson Cruz gets suspended in the Biogenesis scandal, but so far nothing's come of it.

Do they need more than Rios? We have a lot of players. I know they've been dicking around with a couple of their better pitchers, bullpen to rotation, etc. I'm pretty against trading either Q or Santiago but a team with that much talent in the minor might be able to come up with a package of MLB-ready players to make me think about something pretty hefty, like a Q/Hector + Rios package. But that would take a LOT, because I absolutely love Q & have warmed up more to Hector who I already liked anyway.

If they're going to suspend all those players, they at least should should do it no later than the middle of July so teams can fix their rosters by making moves before July 31st.

They're already past the point where all of them would be out for the remainder of the 2013 season.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
If do a deal with Pittsburgh they have Jose Tabata. Not really a "build around" kind of player but comes with cost certainty & would give us a "plug-in" type should we trade Rios.

BTW holy s*** at Jason Grilli's numbers. My GOD. Who saw that coming? We had him once ya know. Damn KW, should have been psychic & held onto him.

The Biogenesis scandal could really benefit the Sox. Unfortunately I think baseball does nothing before the trade deadline for fear of overshadowing the All-Star game.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
Do they need more than Rios? We have a lot of players. I know they've been dicking around with a couple of their better pitchers, bullpen to rotation, etc. I'm pretty against trading either Q or Santiago but a team with that much talent in the minor might be able to come up with a package of MLB-ready players to make me think about something pretty hefty, like a Q/Hector + Rios package. But that would take a LOT, because I absolutely love Q & have warmed up more to Hector who I already liked anyway.

My original plan included Peavy and Rios to TX but Peavy got hurt shortly after my original proposal so depends how soon and how strong he comes back . I still think it could happen since TX. might be in desperation mode seeing it's WS window closing especially if Cruz gets suspended. Sox best chance to get the most talent is a blockbuster .

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)

They might have the best pitching staff in the majors. Anyways, who knows how much longer they can hang on to Travis Snider too. I also have no problem with Tabata either.

Alexei and De Aza for Snider, Tabata, Barmes, and Stetson Allie (the former pitcher, now hitter, who is absolutely destroying Low-A ball pitching, and yes, I know it's Low-A ball, but still)

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)

He's just this year's Fernando Rodney, who was Jose Valverde the year before, who was Kyle Farnsworth the year before. These guys show up every year, and die, it seems.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)
He's just this year's Fernando Rodney, who was Jose Valverde the year before, who was Kyle Farnsworth the year before. These guys show up every year, and die, it seems.

eh, he's been pretty incredible for the last 2 years worth of pitching

Since joining the Pirates bullpen-

122 IP, 2.29 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, 178 K (13.1 K/9), 44 BB (3.2 BB/9), and 9 HR.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
They might have the best pitching staff in the majors. Anyways, who knows how much longer they can hang on to Travis Snider too. I also have no problem with Tabata either.

Alexei and De Aza for Snider, Tabata, Barmes, and Stetson Allie (the former pitcher, now hitter, who is absolutely destroying Low-A ball pitching, and yes, I know it's Low-A ball, but still)

Interesting, but it's probably going to take a little bit more than that. Obviously, Barmes is just a throw in to cover the position in case they're not going with Beckham/Carlos Sanchez there...and maybe DeAza is back to an 850-900 OPS player in the NL Central, but I wouldn't be in favor of this move if I'd been scouting the Sox for most of the season and saw all the flaws in DeAza's game.

It all depends on how highly they would value acquiring Ramirez...and the expense of that contract will hit a small market team more significantly moving forward.

Barmes gets DFA'd the second the trade would go through. It's primarily just a offsetting some of the money for both parties.

Anyways, De Aza has struck out quite a bit, which is not a good thing, but he's still hitting OK (and would be a big upgrade for Pittsburgh), and he's a good defender in the corners. You prefer him in LF but he'd be OK in RF.

Also, for SS, it really depends on who else would be available. I'd prefer not to deal Alexei simply because it's a difficult position to fill (and next year's class is dogs***), but if you could get that kind of upside in a deal, it'd be hard to say no.