You = Hahn. Do you heavily shop Reed, Yes or No?

You are Hahn. Do you heavily shop Reed for what you would consider fair market value for a pre-arb closer mid season?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't answer it any other way, so if it's bulls***ty, sorry...

If teams asked about Reed and the deal made sense, hell yes, I'd trade him.

Sox could use Jones as closer. Simon Castro could be an option for this team not winning this year. And Daniel Webb may be an option at closer at some point.

So the short answer is yes.

No. Not right now. The Sox have a few guys I would try to move first in Crain, Peavy and Rios. Make them the priority and see what you can get for them. I'm not saying I wouldn't listen to offers for Reed, but he would not be at the top of my list of guys I'm actively looking to trade. Depending on the path the Sox take the rest of the season, he could always be moved in the offseason, and who knows, the Sox might actually be able to get more for him then. I don't think Reed is going to bring back what some people have suggested the Sox try to trade him for. As far as I'm concerned, the only untradeable guy on the team is Sale.

There is no heir apparent.

We'll likely be dumping three other relievers.

He is cheap and will remain so for quite a while.

He does not appear to be a player that is overperforming (unlike Santos, whose peripherals were terrible).

So...no. I'd have to get an absolutely stupid return for him to trade him. I would not be shopping him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 23, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
I can't answer it any other way, so if it's bulls***ty, sorry...

If teams asked about Reed and the deal made sense, hell yes, I'd trade him.

Sox could use Jones as closer. Simon Castro could be an option for this team not winning this year. And Daniel Webb may be an option at closer at some point.

So the short answer is yes.

Is that a joke or serious?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 23, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
There is no heir apparent.

We'll likely be dumping three other relievers.

He is cheap and will remain so for quite a while.

He does not appear to be a player that is overperforming (unlike Santos, whose peripherals were terrible).

So...no. I'd have to get an absolutely stupid return for him to trade him. I would not be shopping him.

And yet Santos had two plus pitches.

I would argue that Reed's fastball is just average or below average for a reliever. And his slider's still too spotty to become an elite closer.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
And yet Santos had two plus pitches.

I would argue that Reed's fastball is just average or below average for a reliever. And his slider's still too spotty to become an elite closer.

He has a great fastball and you never mentioned his best pitch. It's like you're describing somebody else.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 23, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
If the deal is to good to pass up on then of course.

If not, why trade him just to trade him? He is still very young & just coming into his own in that closing role at a very reasonable price.

Because bad teams don't need elite closers.

Re: "heavily shopped" think DBacks with Justin Upton. Obviously these are 2 very different players in terms of quality and we can't expect that type of return, but what the BDacks did was they let all of baseball know that not only was Upton available, but they actually *wanted* to deal him for what they saw as their price. The first go-round nothing got done so they pulled him off the block. The second time the Braves stepped up & the deal was made. That's kind of what I'm talking about here, Hahn letting everyone else know that he would like to use Reed to add talent to the organization, but the price is going to be high and for good reason. If you get lowball offers then you pull him off the block.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 23, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
Sure. Let's trade him and go back to the days of Billy Koch.

Would send a message to many fans that the Sox just don't get a bleep.

We had Keith Foulke before Koch. And after Koch we had Flash Gordon, Bobby Jenks, Sergio Santos, then Reed. There was a Shingo year mixed in with a half season of an insanely effective Hermanson. Really, the closer days for us have been pretty good.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 23, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
How am I supposed to know that?

You certainly should have an idea?...

If you wanna ship off one of the best young relievers in all of baseball you def should have an idea of what you want in return.

Top prospect....Couple top prospects...Veteran...