Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 11:12 PM)
Getting Franklin from Seattle for something centered around Dunn and Santiago is wishful thinking right?

I can get on board with that line of wishful thinking. Maybe if enough of us wish, it will happen.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 11:13 PM)
They'll probably want Q back. Or Santiago/Danks

In line with the wishful thinking above, Santiago is now a mariner but Danks to the Yanks sounds good. Q stays put though. :P

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 11:12 PM)
Getting Franklin from Seattle for something centered around Dunn and Santiago is wishful thinking right?

Gutierrez's option got declined so he is free agent. I think the only chance of shedding Dunn's contract would be to stick him with someone of value like Santiago but since he only has one year left on his deal any way, it would be wiser to try to get younger pieces for Santiago. I think Seattle could possibly matchup with us though if the M's add Cruz and they are looking for another bat they can have without giving up much. A 2-6 of Seager Cano Cruz Dunn isn't horrible.

Edited by chisoxfan310

QUOTE (midway @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
Why is there interest in Franklin from Seattle...a .225 average with a .303 OBP? We have enough guys who can't hit .250 or better.

He's only 22, a switch hitter with lots of upside. His minor league numbers are intriguing.

http://m.bbref.com/m?p=XXminorsXXplayer.cg...p;t=all_batting

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
He's only 22, a switch hitter with lots of upside. His minor league numbers are intriguing.

Trading any of our limited assets for a player that fills a position where we actually have organizational depth would be a huge mistake IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
Trading any of our limited assets for a player that fills a position where we actually have organizational depth would be a huge mistake IMO.

Not if Semien ends up at 3rd. We can't count on Sanchez til he proves he can hit at AAA and the rest of the depth is at AA, with talk of Micah Johnson going to CF due to his lack of defense at 2b.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
Not if Semien ends up at 3rd. We can't count on Sanchez til he proves he can hit at AAA and the rest of the depth is at AA, with talk of Micah Johnson going to CF due to his lack of defense at 2b.

Well there is no good reason for Semien to end up at 3B other than we have a gaping hole there. He's a middle infielder and that's where his value lies. On top of that we have Sanchez in AAA, Johnson in AA, and potentially Anderson in A+ if he can't handle SS long-term. Point is that four of our best propsects should be able to play 2B (giving Johnson the benefit of the doubt here) if their bats continue to develop. There's absolutely no need to trade valuable assets to block some of our best propsects and fill what typically is one of the easiest positions to fill on a baseball field.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
Well there is no good reason for Semien to end up at 3B other than we have a gaping hole there. He's a middle infielder and that's where his value lies. On top of that we have Sanchez in AAA, Johnson in AA, and potentially Anderson in A+ if he can't handle SS long-term. Point is that four of our best propsects should be able to play 2B (giving Johnson the benefit of the doubt here) if their bats continue to develop. There's absolutely no need to trade valuable assets to block some of our best propsects and fill what typically is one of the easiest positions to fill on a baseball field.

Again, Sanchez had a horrible 13 season so until he shows he can hit AAA he's not even a realistic option, Semien has already started games at 3b and Hahn has hinted at the possibility in 14, Anderson is a SS and most likely 2-3 years away and there's questions on his defense. The Sox have hinted at Johnson moving to CF due to a lack of defense at second along with utilizing his speed for CF. We don't have the immediate depth we think we have. Garcia is intruiging no doubt but everything I've read says supersub, not that he isn't worth a look but he is more of a slap hitter than anything.

I have no probable plugging Semien in at 2b but as long as the GM hints at the possibility of him playing 3b then it is what it is.

Semien played 32 games at AAA and 105 at AA last year. While liked what I had seen from him him from the sox, his numbers did drop when moved from AA to AAA indicating more time at AAA would benefit him no doubt. At AA he walked more than struck out but that flip-flopped when moved to AAA so he really should at least start at AAA in 14 and see how does from there.

Which bring us back to the idea of trading for Nick Franklin. Is he proven yet? No, but is more advanced than options we currently have and I love the fact he's a switch hitter.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
If Franklin put up those numbers in Chicago we'd be calling to replace him already.

Even from a 22 yo? I think Sox fans have shown they have some patience, take Beckham for instance. Franklin only played in 102 games, that's not very many for his age. I will say his strike outs scare me.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
Even from a 22 yo? I think Sox fans have shown they have some patience, take Beckham for instance. Franklin only played in 102 games, that's not very long. I will say his strike outs scare me.

The Sox have been patient, as they should be with some guys, I'm talking about the fans. For instance, Phegley hit 316/.360/.597 in the minors, and now that position is a "Black hole". I think if Franklin put up those numbers there would be some fans calling his spot a black hole.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
The Sox have been patient, as they should be with some guys, I'm talking about the fans. For instance, Phegley hit 316/.360/.597 in the minors, and now that position is a "Black hole". I think if Franklin put up those numbers there would be some fans calling his spot a black hole.

Ahhh, I see what you're saying and have to agree. Fans need to remember its a huge jump to the mlb.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
I think that Semien is being overrated on this board. Sure he played well but his minor league numbers are not very attractive, plus pitchers started to figure him out towards the end of the season. I see Gordon Beckham as his ceiling.

What the f*** are you talking about? He put up a .903 OPS in AA last year, which lead the Southern League for all qualified hitters. I'm not sure how that OPS is "not very attractive", clearly you didn't really follow him much. And while he wasn't as good in AAA during his brief time there, which should shock no one, he still managed to put up .802 OPS.

What's funny is that Semien is completely underrated. In most organizations, a 22 year old middle infielder that puts up a .420 OBP with decent power would be heralded as a future star, but since he's a member of the Sox's farm system he's not considered toolsy enough which is bulls*** IMO. And for what it's worth, I don't think he'll be a star, but I do think he'll be a extremely productive major league 2B because he has great plate discipline and can do a little bit of everything. His potential is way higher than Gordon's as Beckham isn't very good.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
Gutierrez's option got declined so he is free agent. I think the only chance of shedding Dunn's contract would be to stick him with someone of value like Santiago but since he only has one year left on his deal any way, it would be wiser to try to get younger pieces for Santiago. I think Seattle could possibly matchup with us though if the M's add Cruz and they are looking for another bat they can have without giving up much. A 2-6 of Seager Cano Cruz Dunn isn't horrible.

Nick Franklin, not Franklin Gutierrez.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
What the f*** are you talking about? He put up a .903 OPS in AA last year, which lead the Southern League for all qualified hitters. I'm not sure how that OPS is "not very attractive", clearly you didn't really follow him much. And while he wasn't as good in AAA during his brief time there, which should shock no one, he still managed to put up .802 OPS.

What's funny is that Semien is completely underrated. In most organizations, a 22 year old middle infielder that puts up a .420 OBP with decent power would be heralded as a future star, but since he's a member of the Sox's farm system he's not considered toolsy enough which is bulls*** IMO. And for what it's worth, I don't think he'll be a star, but I do think he'll be a extremely productive major league 2B because he has great plate discipline and can do a little bit of everything. His potential is way higher than Gordon's as Beckham isn't very good.

Semien is a nice spect but let's not get carried away. Beckham still has loads of ability at the plate if anyone can ever get it out of him. Semien may be the better player in the end though, who knows.

I do however agree with what you're saying in this thread about not wanting to trade for more 2B prospects when we already have a good one in Semien who is close to being ready.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
Semien is a nice spect but let's not get carried away. Beckham still has loads of ability at the plate if anyone can ever get it out of him. Semien may be the better player in the end though, who knows.

I do however agree with what you're saying in this thread about not wanting to trade for more 2B prospects when we already have a good one in Semien who is close to being ready.

I'm only talking about at this point in time. For four straight years, Beckham has been a low AVG, low OBP hitter. While it's possible he finally puts it all together this year, the odds are he is what he is. If that's truly the case, then I think it's safe to say Semien has a higher ceiling. I'm obviously not comparing Semien's ceiling to Beckham's when he was a prospect.

And like I said, the reason I believe in Semien is because he demonstrated outstanding plate discipline in AA, and prospects with good plate discipline typically flop at a lower rate IMO. He's really the only position prospect in the system I have a lot of confidence in for that reason. Again, I'm not trying to say he'll be a star or anything, but a 2B with a .350/.360 OBP and solid power is incredibly valuable, which is what I think he's ultimately capable of. Unfortunately, I do feel he gets a bum rap being in our system, which really isn't fair because unlike most of our prospects he actually has some baseball skills.

Jose, correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're referring to how Beckhamn sped through the minors in less than 2 full seasons and then fans creamed their jeans thinking he was ready for the big league club but really wasn't ready. Not putting words in your mouth. :P

This really is similar in the sense that like Beckham in 09, it appears Semien in ready to make the jump but a look at his AAA stats after his promotion from AA dictate he should have more time so we don't have a repeat of what happened to Beckham. I think Semien will have a place on this team in the near future but let's not rush him since there's players to be moved first and its not like the Sox are expected to be all that competitive with the current roster at this time.

Edited by StRoostifer