Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
Sucked ass to a tune of a 9.46 K/9, 2.51 BB/9, 3.76 K/BB, 0.84 HR/9, 3.08 FIP, 3.39 xFIP, a ridiculously unlucky .442 BABIP, all culminating in a 0.9 WAR in only 32 IP, which is tremendous.

BUT OH WAIT, HE HAD A LOSING RECORD AND HE IS 5 FOOT 10 (despite being listed at 6 foot, as if any of that matters anyway). HE HAS NO VALUE.

Stop being so terribly ignorant. No one said he would get a 2 year deal, no one said he'd be anything more than a 5th starter and trade fodder in the summer IF he remained healthy. He is a pretty low risk-medium reward guy at this point.

Dylan Axelrod was pretty similar in 2011. He put up a 0.4 WAR in 18 innings. It is really too bad when you get knocked around and give up 1.8 baserunners an inning. People think you suck, but the reality is you just aren't very lucky. So what if he is giving up a ton of hits and line drives.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
Dylan Axelrod was pretty similar in 2011. He put up a 0.4 WAR in 18 innings. It is really too bad when you get knocked around and give up 1.8 baserunners an inning. People think you suck, but the reality is you just aren't very lucky. So what if he is giving up a ton of hits and line drives.

Oswalt has a better track record and a bit more velocity, but I really don't think this comparison is that far fetched.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
Do you really not know players will lie about their size? Oswalt is none as one of the shortest pitchers.

Me and you don't get to determine value. The 30 GMs who wouldn't give him a major league deal get to do that. Instead of nitpicking stats from a 32 inning sample size consider the facts. He's small, 35, losing velocity, hasn't been healthy the last four seasons and guys are squaring up the ball against him at crazy rates. To me, he should try and become a reliever. He could get some velocity back and keep striking guys out.

All of your arguments include name calling but I am ignorant?

You didn't say he'd get a two year deal but you did say maybe he would.

I do agree that he is low risk though. Considering his last contract was a minor league deal...

Please enlighten my why one of your sticking points for why Oswalt sucks so bad is that he is short. Why the f*** does that matter? Was he 6'3 when he was one of the best pitchers of the 2000s? We aren't projecting a prospect, we are talking about a proven all-star, stud pitcher who has proven his height is not a deterrent. So why bother harping on it?

And you're right, he is having trouble staying healthy, which was exactly what my entire point, and contract guesses, were predicated on originally.....

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 08:06 PM)
It's harder to have a long, sustained career when you're shorter. Refer to Oswalt's yearly injuries in his 32-35 year old seasons.

I'll send you off with this trivia question. How many pitchers are under 6 feet tall in the Hall of Fame that didn't pitch in the dead ball era?

I'll PM you what he signs for.

We are now the NBA.

Cubano!(not sure if he's been hanging around)... What's the word on Dayron Varona? Is he a center fielder? His numbers in Cuba, .373/.425/.533, look really sexy, and he's just 25.

Right handed though so that's a bit of a "downfall" when looking at the Sox team as a whole, particularly when you talk about him replacing ADA.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 09:47 PM)
All we've done so far (with the exception of the signing of me) is get a few AAA scrubs. No, I will rarely post as if I'm Jose Abreu. Just so everyone knows I was formerly known as ChiSoxFan05.

You can put "formerly known as ChiSoxFan05" in your signature so people know

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 25, 2013 -> 06:12 PM)
I'd take him for like 2-3 years for $15-20M. But with the contract McCann got, it wouldn't shock me to see Navarro get $10M a year from someone.

For a guy that has played 225 games over the last four seasons, I can't see him getting more than 2 years/12 mil. Something like that.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 25, 2013 -> 06:12 PM)
I'd take him for like 2-3 years for $15-20M. But with the contract McCann got, it wouldn't shock me to see Navarro get $10M a year from someone.

Navarro is not getting anywhere close to $10M a year. Ruiz just get under $9M per and has a much better track record. I'll say 1 or 2 years at $5/$6M per tops.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
I bet he doesn't get that much.

Oh I totally agree with you, just guessing the biggest dollar amount he could get if someone overvalued him. I mean, Soto just got 1 year at $3M, so I seriously doubt Navarro would get that much more.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Nov 25, 2013 -> 07:01 PM)
Navarro would be a good platoon partner with a decent left-handed catcher but I wouldn't want the Sox to get him as their starting catcher.

Yeah, he doesn't really work well with Flowers & Phegley as the other half of the catching tandem.