The Wire is better than the Sopranos

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
I was actually pissed the killed off Bell. That guy should've stayed the whole series. Plenty for him to do.

His fall allowed Marlo to come up though. And he was a good character too.

Man, it's been a few years since i've watched The Wire. I might have to start a re-watch soon.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
Well, with Meadow running up to the door, they also hinted that it could have just been her walking in - but yeah, there's no reason to have such a ridiculously abrupt ending without assuming the man was shot and lights out.

The reason is pretty clear for not showing it...that way they could have the possibility of continuing it in the future. Of course, that will never happen now, but it left the possibility there.

If the entire show was shot in a majority first person perspective in that the viewer was Tony Soprano, it would have made a lot more sense (think Memento, which was you sharing the main characters perspective in many ways). But the show wasn't shot that like, and the viewer was never compelled to be Tony Soprano, or feel like Tony Soprano, but as a 3rd person observer. So the only thing I can attribute it to was a "let's end it like this just in case..." Otherwise, the blackout makes no sense without the perspective that the viewer WAS Tony, and we weren't.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
Otherwise, the blackout makes no sense without the perspective that the viewer WAS Tony, and we weren't.

You ignore completely the 7 previous times someone walked into the diner.

door jingles, they show tony look up, next scene, they show him watch someone walk in from his perspective. LIKE SEVEN TIMES DUDE!

It's all shown in the link I provided above.

When the door jingles the final time, they show Tony look up, then black. His perspective is black. He's f***ing dead.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
The reason is pretty clear for not showing it...that way they could have the possibility of continuing it in the future. Of course, that will never happen now, but it left the possibility there.

If the entire show was shot in a majority first person perspective in that the viewer was Tony Soprano, it would have made a lot more sense (think Memento, which was you sharing the main characters perspective in many ways). But the show wasn't shot that like, and the viewer was never compelled to be Tony Soprano, or feel like Tony Soprano, but as a 3rd person observer. So the only thing I can attribute it to was a "let's end it like this just in case..." Otherwise, the blackout makes no sense without the perspective that the viewer WAS Tony, and we weren't.

Go read that website. They break down how, in that last scene, you do cut to a first-person POV for Tony every time the bell rings.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
Go read that website. They break down how, in that last scene, you do cut to a first-person POV for Tony every time the bell rings.

That's what I mean, if the whole show was shot like that, it would make more sense, but one scene out of 6 seasons is just bad cinematography.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
Y2HH is clearly in the denial phase....6 years later.

I'm not in the denial phase that the ending was dumb.

I think Chase wanted to kill Tony, but IMO, the s*** way he went about it sucked.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
I'm not in the denial phase that the ending was dumb.

I think Chase wanted to kill Tony, but IMO, the s*** way he went about it sucked.

Well, that's a stark change from denying he killed him off.

I like it - I think it was brilliant.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)
Well, that's a stark change from denying he killed him off.

I like it - I think it was brilliant.

Chase is the one that would never outright say it. Not me. He'd always be vague and say, "everything was there". I agree with you guys that that's probably what he was going for with this, but the way it was done broke from how the ENTIRE rest of the series was filmed, and he did that for the reason I stated. Just in case they wanted to continue they could...and if they didn't, this worked, too. You usually don't just decide, 'ok for this ONE scene, i'm making the viewer THAT character' via a spur of the moment/convienent perspective change. If it was something you did throughout the show, it'd be a different story...there'd be continuity there. It was a complete break from how everything else was done on the show, for the convenience of not having to show it. And then of course, quotes from him saying "never say never" about a movie/continuation, or that if everyone was on board he'd do it, that says it all to me. Of course, this will never happen now, but it was left open ended at the time on purpose.

If that was his plan all along, he should have riddled the show with similar sequences, and not from random characters, but ONLY Tony. That said, interpretation is open, because not everyone agrees with this.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 05:51 PM)
Chase is the one that would never outright say it. Not me. He'd always be vague and say, "everything was there". I agree with you guys that that's probably what he was going for with this, but the way it was done broke from how the ENTIRE rest of the series was filmed, and he did that for the reason I stated. Just in case they wanted to continue they could...and if they didn't, this worked, too. You usually don't just decide, 'ok for this ONE scene, i'm making the viewer THAT character' via a spur of the moment/convienent perspective change. If it was something you did throughout the show, it'd be a different story...there'd be continuity there. It was a complete break from how everything else was done on the show, for the convenience of not having to show it. And then of course, quotes from him saying "never say never" about a movie/continuation, or that if everyone was on board he'd do it, that says it all to me. Of course, this will never happen now, but it was left open ended at the time on purpose.

If that was his plan all along, he should have riddled the show with similar sequences, and not from random characters, but ONLY Tony. That said, interpretation is open, because not everyone agrees with this.

Did you ever see the professional? Suddenly the films in first person as he walks away and gets shot in the back of the head. It was a great scene.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
Did you ever see the professional? Suddenly the films in first person as he walks away and gets shot in the back of the head. It was a great scene.

Doesn't ring a bell, no.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
220px-Leon-poster.jpg

Oh, Leon...yea I've seen that, but it's been a lonnnng time, so long I don't even remember the ending. I do recall the soap opera effect pivotcam it was filmed with, and I wasn't a fan of that, either.

Natalie Portman was in it, I remember that much.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
Got you both beat. Never seen a single episode of the Wire OR the Sopranos.

And to really piss you all off, I've only seen the first few episodes of Breaking Bad. ;)

Ha! You just surrendered your lead... I've never seen any Breaking Bad.

See where showboating got you. :lol:

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
Ha! You just surrendered your lead... I've never seen any Breaking Bad.

See where showboating got you. :lol:

Breaking Bad is a great show, but if they end it like Sopranos ended, it will also suck.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
Breaking Bad is a great show, but if they end it like Sopranos ended, it will also suck.

Show would have been perfect if it ended with Season 4. Season 5 is still really, really good, but I can't imagine being able to top Season 4's finale.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
Show would have been perfect if it ended with Season 4. Season 5 is still really, really good, but I can't imagine being able to top Season 4's finale.

Yeah I am in til the end, but I don't know how they don't disappoint after that.