Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 31m

Red Sox are doing background work on Jake Peavy, who pitches against AT today. Arizona, SF, Colorado also in the discussions.

Deal breaker if they find out he sang "Go Cubs Go" 6 years ago?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
It seems like there is too much importance being put on this start for Peavy. Teams aren't going to base Peavy's value on 1 start. As long as he shows he's healthy, it doesn't matter whether he throws a shutout or gets shellacked. If he's hitting the numbers on the gun and able to throw all his pitches are what the teams are going to want to see.

It's not like if he throws 7 scoreless inning that Boston, or whoever, is going to start adding pieces to the mix. Teams know by now the limits they are willing to stretch for just about any player.

But all that's going to happen in this start.

He'll either hit is numbers and pitches or he won't in this start...Yes, it's important.

What if he doesn't have his velocity and he can't throw key pitches for strikes? Wouldn't you say that's a negative re his value?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
This is a nice piece about Peavy's trade value by Jon Hey man. I think we could get lucky and receive a nice little haul for Peavy.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heym...the-market-star

That's actually a great write-up. I'm shocked he didn't mention the 2015 option a team would have on Peavy, but the point remains the same. He's one of the top 2 starting pitchers in a thin pitching market and is more than just a rental. There should be a half dozen teams fighting over him the next 11 days.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
That's actually a great write-up. I'm shocked he didn't mention the 2015 option a team would have on Peavy, but the point remains the same. He's one of the top 2 starting pitchers in a thin pitching market and is more than just a rental. There should be a half dozen teams fighting over him the next 11 days.

It's a player option.

"$15M Player option for 2015 if he 1) has 400 IP in 2013-14, including 190 IP in 2014, and 2) is not on the disabled list at the end of the 2014 season."

This was supposedly the package agreed upon in the Garza deal. This should bode well for the Sox trading Peavy as this is a nice haul

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 3m

#Cubs-#Rangers stalled deal was Garza + another #Cub to #Rangers for Neil Ramirez, Luis Sardinas, Mike Olt, CJ Edwards per @JeffWilson_FWST

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)
This was supposedly the package agreed upon in the Garza deal. This should bode well for the Sox trading Peavy as this is a nice haul

#Cubs-#Rangers stalled deal was Garza + another #Cub to #Rangers for Neil Ramirez, Luis Sardinas, Mike Olt, CJ Edwards per @JeffWilson_FWST

Kind of difficult to rate that deal without knowing who the other Cub is.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Kind of difficult to rate that deal without knowing who the other Cub is.

Not really. It wasn't Castro or Rizzo. Those are really only 2 ML pieces that matter. It was speculated that it could have been Dejesus, Schierholtz, or even James Russell.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
Not really. It wasn't Castro or Rizzo. Those are really only 2 ML pieces that matter. It was speculated that it could have been Dejesus, Schierholtz, or even James Russell.

Yeah, well see, in that case, you know who the other Cub may have been. Which backs up my statement.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)

That is avery nice haul. If Peavy pitches well today, and a package of him and Crain. It would get a lot more than that in my opinion.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4m

Teams scouting #WhiteSox-#Braves today: TOR, BOS, SEA, NYY, BAL, AZ. Not all looking at Peavy. NYY on normal coverage. AZ not pursuing him.

I'm not buying it re:Arizona

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4m

Teams scouting #WhiteSox-#Braves today: TOR, BOS, SEA, NYY, BAL, AZ. Not all looking at Peavy. NYY on normal coverage. AZ not pursuing him.

I'm not buying it re:Arizona

I sure hope you are right. The White Sox match up quite well with AZ as trade partners.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
But all that's going to happen in this start.

He'll either hit is numbers and pitches or he won't in this start...Yes, it's important.

What if he doesn't have his velocity and he can't throw key pitches for strikes? Wouldn't you say that's a negative re his value?

I guess I should have said not too much rests on the results. I agree, it's important he has to have his velocity and movevment and that's all that matters. If he's hitting 90-94 and gets lit up for 10 runs, it's not going to hurt his trade value. Whereas, if he shuts them down for 7 innings with zero stuff, it's not going to help the cause either.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
Come on AZ! Give us Owings and Holmberg

I want Eaton and Davidson, sox have some interesting MI prospects half a season to a season away.(sanchez, semien and johnson)

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 07:47 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m

One more note on Peavy: Scout from #STLCards also attended his start today. Like all scouts there, could have been looking at others too.

Now that's juicy. Love their system

I'd be shocked if Adam Eaton isn't the main target from any trade with Arizona. He fits all of the needs this team has been looking for a leadoff hitter since Scotty Pods in 05, except better defense and more line drive power than just slap hitter.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
I'd be shocked if Adam Eaton isn't the main target from any trade with Arizona. He fits all of the needs this team has been looking for a leadoff hitter since Scotty Pods in 05, except better defense and more line drive power than just slap hitter.

De Aza has been a better "lead-off hitter" each of the past 2 years than Podsednik was in '05. I know we all love to glorify players from the '05 team, and Podsednik certainly had his role, but his offense isn't the reason that team won the World Series.

Pods in '05: .290/.351/.349 88 wRC+

De Aza this year: .270/.328/.437 105 wRC+