Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 07:14 AM)
If the Sox got Owings, he'd probably be the best hitter on the team.

Micah is 30 years old playing minor league ball for the Nationals.

The Sox are interested in Chris Owings, 21 year old SS who's hitting .353 at AAA.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing to look at with Holmberg is that over 200 innings into AA, he has seen his K/9 rates drop precipitously from at or above 9 at most levels to 6.3 or so in AA. 6.3 K/9 isn't horrible in MLB, but it certainly puts a ceiling on him and if he loses even more strikeouts on his way to the show, he'll have a hard time succeeding. I'm not sure how great of a get he is, especially when we already have lefties with high 80s-low 90s fastballs and modest K rates in our rotation.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
The thing to look at with Holmberg is that over 200 innings into AA, he has seen his K/9 rates drop precipitously from at or above 9 at most levels to 6.3 or so in AA. 6.3 K/9 isn't horrible in MLB, but it certainly puts a ceiling on him and if he loses even more strikeouts on his way to the show, he'll have a hard time succeeding. I'm not sure how great of a get he is, especially when we already have lefties with high 80s-low 90s fastballs and modest K rates in our rotation.

That's why I would still go after their position players in their system like Davidson, Eaton, Owings, Lamb.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 11:12 PM)
Eaton, Holmberg, and Owings for Peavy? Done. Want some De Aza too? Fine, take him.

Agreed. Imagine if Hahn pulled off that trade and was able to put together a package that got Polanco in return from Pittsburgh. Eaton and Polanco would be two big time pieces to build that OF around. Probably would keep Eaton in CF in the scenario and groom Polanco for LF since I think Polanco has the weaker arm but more power potential to translate to LF. Either way, it would be nice to get a couple of young, speedy lefties who have shown really good feels for hitting on this team. Depending on who the RF is in this hypothetical scenario, it could become one of the best defensive outfields the White Sox have ever had.

Edited by Paulstar

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 10:03 PM)
It'll probably be something like Olt and Edwards for Garza. I would have gladly taken that for Peavy.

Cubs are waiting out because they want more. Gonna be interesting. I really think Garza is traded late tonight or tomorrow

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 10:14 PM)
Sounds like they are already getting more than he's worth

So if that happens, Peavy pitches well, we could get the same or even more if we package Crain in a deal too. Could get very interesting. And mlbtraderumors says that Rangers are still looking for a right handed hitting bat and still are connect to Rios.

Where's bucket? I want to know if there is any new information out there.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 07:26 PM)
So if that happens, Peavy pitches well, we could get the same or even more if we package Crain in a deal too. Could get very interesting. And mlbtraderumors says that Rangers are still looking for a right handed hitting bat and still are connect to Rios.

Where's bucket? I want to know if there is any new information out there.

Peavy is worth more than garza

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 08:17 PM)
Rosenthal tweeted moments ago that he has one source that Garza to the Rangers is pretty close. What does this mean for Peavy, as when healthy is the next most valuable pitcher on the market. Teams get desperate?

Rosenthal says a deal is very close, while Heyman & others are saying that the Rangers are ready to walk away and turn their attention to Bud Norris, so who knows. The timing is right for Peavy to pitch a gem on Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...o-be-jake-peavy

BA' expected to be Jake Peavy

July, 17, 2013

JUL 17

2:34

PM CT

By Doug Padilla | ESPNChicago.com

RECOMMEND2TWEET4COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox set their probable pitchers for the first series of the second half, with one glaring omission.

John Danks will pitch in Friday’s series opener against the Atlanta Braves at U.S. Cellular Field, while Jose Quintana will pitch in Sunday’s series finale. On Saturday, the White Sox have listed "TBA" opposite the Braves’ Paul Maholm (9-8, 3.98 ERA).

That Saturday slot is expected to go to right-hander Jake Peavy, who has been on the disabled list with a non-displaced rib fracture.

Peavy had one rehab start at Double-A Birmingham, giving up one run on five hits over five innings.

The right-hander would be in line to make three starts before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. If he shows he is healthy, he could end up being the White Sox’s best trade bargaining chip as they remain focused on strengthening the farm system following a disappointing first half.

In Friday's game, Danks (2-6, 4.31) will be opposed by the Braves' Tim Hudson (6-7, 4.02). On Sunday, Quintana (4-2, 3.71) will pitch opposite Mike Minor (9-4, 3.02).