Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 05:52 PM)
Beck possibly sliding to the SS position?

I would like to see him move over there for a bit & see how he performs if Lexi is moved.

I doubt they'd want to mess with his hitting.

A more likely scenario is someone like Brendan Ryan, with Sanchez waiting in the wings (and also dependent upon what other prospects we bring back in the next 5 weeks of trading).

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 07:51 PM)
I'll say, he's in the Top 20-25 for MLB OPS right now.

Speaking of OPS, didn't realize Adam Lind was #10. I know Fathom has brought up his name a few times for 1B/DH next year, let's hope he doesn't keep this up or he'll price himself our of our spending range...although we would still have Morales on the radar screen as well.

Lind has been their most consistent hitter.

Gotta think they will look to hold on to him. Doesn't he have a 7 million Club Option next year?

Edited by Noonskadoodle

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 06:52 PM)
Beck possibly sliding to the SS position?

I would like to see him move over there for a bit & see how he performs if Lexi is moved.

This is what I see happening. I really think Alexei will get moved prior to the deadline and Beckham will get a couple months at SS to see if can handle it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 05:57 PM)
This is what I see happening. I really think Alexei will get moved prior to the deadline and Beckham will get a couple months at SS to see if can handle it.

Who are you going to play at 2B then, if Keppinger's traded?

Tyler Greene or Angel Sanchez?

I guess it doesn't really matter anymore, though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 06:53 PM)
I doubt they'd want to mess with his hitting.

A more likely scenario is someone like Brendan Ryan, with Sanchez waiting in the wings (and also dependent upon what other prospects we bring back in the next 5 weeks of trading).

Give me a break, the whole defense correlating to offense production is so overblown. Beckham never took his bat out there with him on the field, and so far this year his defensive miscues, including one of the worst plays you will ever see any major leaguer ever make, has not effected his bat.

If anything, you could make the argument (although I don't buy this argument either) that moving Gordon back to his natural SS position would help his offense, very similar to the argument of moving Rios to RF helped his offensive production.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Give me a break, the whole defense correlating to offense production is so overblown. Beckham never took his bat out there with him on the field, and so far this year his defensive miscues, including one of the worst plays you will ever see any major leaguer ever make, has not effected his bat.

If anything, you could make the argument (although I don't buy this argument either) that moving Gordon back to his natural SS position would help his offense, very similar to the argument of moving Rios to RF helped his offensive production.

We'll have to agree to disagree, then.

Once again, we're going to have a half-season where every number put up will be with the caveat, "yeah, but what would he do if the games actually meant something?"

This whole offense/defense thing does seem to have some correlation with players like Rios and DeAza, IMO. Comfort and confidence in the field spills over onto the hitting side, for example, when Alex was taken out of CF.

Edited by caulfield12

I see people throwing around Lind and Morales names as 1B/DH, but I haven't seen anyone really mention Morneau. The Twins are likely to let Morneau go and convert Mauer to full time 1B, and if Morneau finds that power stroke again, he can be one of the top 1B in the league for another 3-4 years. I think he would be a phenomenal signing if you can get him without breaking the bank.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 06:59 PM)
Who are you going to play at 2B then, if Keppinger's traded?

Tyler Greene or Angel Sanchez?

I guess it doesn't really matter anymore, though.

It's hard to say right now because we don't know what we'll be getting back for guys. I've got to believe Hahn will be targeting position players close to ready with his big pieces. If you get a middle infielder, then that's your answer. Otherwise, Greene & Sanchez become real possibilities.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)
We'll have to agree to disagree, then.

Once again, we're going to have a half-season where every number put up will be with the caveat, "yeah, but what would he do if the games actually meant something?"

This whole offense/defense thing does seem to have some correlation with players like Rios and DeAza, IMO. Comfort and confidence in the field spills over onto the hitting side, for example, when Alex was taken out of CF.

I would make the argument that Rios' resurgence at the plate had more to do with him fixing his batting stance and holding his hands higher. However, you can make the argument that it was the shift to RF mentally helped him with fixing his approach.

Its one of those things you can argue on for days and never have a right answer. Personally, I lean towards saying that most major league players are mentally tough enough to separate the two aspects of the game, because if they were not mentally strong enough in the first place, odds are they wouldn't make it to the majors in the first place. At least thats my opinion.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 06:29 PM)
I see people throwing around Lind and Morales names as 1B/DH, but I haven't seen anyone really mention Morneau. The Twins are likely to let Morneau go and convert Mauer to full time 1B, and if Morneau finds that power stroke again, he can be one of the top 1B in the league for another 3-4 years. I think he would be a phenomenal signing if you can get him without breaking the bank.

Still, there's no doubt that if they sign him to essentially the same deal they would be giving to Paul Konerko if he came back again (let's say, $4-5 million, maybe 6 tops), then they could definitely flip him.

Maybe one year with a club option/buyout, in case they team suddenly turns competitive again and they want to hold on to him and make a run at it in 2015.

Playing in a small USCF should boost his power numbers, but we've seen guys come in here like Swisher and Dunn and struggle mightily offensively...maybe a lot of hitters get too homer-happy when they see the short fences.

One name that I saw on the free agent list that intrigued the hell out of me was Michael Young. He's always been noted for his veteran leadership, and I always felt like he would be the perfect mentor for Beckham. I remember hearing how Mark DeRosa working with Young in Texas really saved his career from failed prospect with the Braves to becoming an all around sound ballplayer for many years. Gordon Beckham has enough talent to be a Michael Young type hitter, he just needs to learn how to approach hitting like Michael Young.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 08:50 PM)
One name that I saw on the free agent list that intrigued the hell out of me was Michael Young. He's always been noted for his veteran leadership, and I always felt like he would be the perfect mentor for Beckham. I remember hearing how Mark DeRosa working with Young in Texas really saved his career from failed prospect with the Braves to becoming an all around sound ballplayer for many years. Gordon Beckham has enough talent to be a Michael Young type hitter, he just needs to learn how to approach hitting like Michael Young.

Yes! The old dead horse is back in season ladies n gentleman! Locked in the darkest corner of the Soxtalk stables, once a year James Baldwin drags the corpse out for all to pick at. Jun 29th is a little early but you can pick through the flies and buzzards for some bone marrow no doubt. I almost like the smell now.

But actually, I believe this to be the soundest reason in the last 5 years for acquiring him.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 08:29 PM)

I don't think there's any chance he miraculously turns into the hitter he used to be, but he could be a good platoon guy at 1b if the Sox have a RH batter to fill the role with him or elsewhere in the IF. Viciedo maybe, not sure if they want to throw in the towel and platoon him yet or not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
I don't think there's any chance he miraculously turns into the hitter he used to be, but he could be a good platoon guy at 1b if the Sox have a RH batter to fill the role with him or elsewhere in the IF. Viciedo maybe, not sure if they want to throw in the towel and platoon him yet or not.

I think you are underestimating him a little bit. Currently he is having a very good year, except for the power numbers. He's still driving in runs and hitting for average. And while he hasn't hit lefties like he used since the concussion, he still doesn't scream platoon player like some other people do, and he looks like Babe Ruth vs. lefties compared to Dunn.

If you put him in a ballpark like US Cellular Field for 81 games a year, I think you'd see his power numbers come back. Maybe not his MVP years power number, but around 20-25 homers would not be that crazy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
I'd love a platoon at 1B of Morneau and Viciedo if you're trying to compete.

The obvious problem is that Viciedo's never going to develop or take the next step going that route.

If we had Granderson, Rios and Hunter Pence in the OF, sure.

But how likely is that to happen?

The Mariners tried this approach, as did the Indians (Bourne/Swisher/Reynolds)...with varying results. There's no reason we can't or couldn't do it, but WILL we?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
The obvious problem is that Viciedo's never going to develop or take the next step going that route.

If we had Granderson, Rios and Hunter Pence in the OF, sure.

But how likely is that to happen?

The Mariners tried this approach, as did the Indians (Bourne/Swisher/Reynolds)...with varying results. There's no reason we can't or couldn't do it, but WILL we?

IF we're trying to field a competitive team next year I can live with that. It would have been a mistake this year, but he's flat out failed to show the kind of growth I expected, so fine. If he's an effective platoon player, use him that way.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)

Personally I like James Loney. People throw around the other names because we're going to need some power. Loney won't command as much but he's a good stick and fielder. I want good defense if we hang onto most of our pitchers .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
Personally I like James Loney. People throw around the other names because we're going to need some power. Loney won't command as much but he's a good stick and fielder. I want good defense if we hang onto most of our pitchers .

I agree, Loney is a really nice player who is overlooked because he does not fill that traditional 30+ HR power 1B. However, he makes up for that lack of power with good contact skills, ability to hit for a good average, very good defense, and is not a base clogger. Would have no problem with him at 1B if you make up for his lack of power elsewhere.

Plus, depending on who the DH and other outfielders are, he is athletic enough to possibly shift over to LF in interleague games.

Edited by Paulstar

It would not bother me if the Sox traded for good pitching prospects. You can never, ever have too much pitching.

I realize they need to fix the offense, but they will have some money to spend in the offseason on a bat or 2, along with other trade possibilities for bats. If they can improve the offense to even league average, and still have good pitching, they will be in the hunt next season. If they have several good pitching prospects in the minors due to their trading in the next month, then they will have plenty of chips to work with to be big time buyers at this time next season.

In short, you can't really look at what your trading for right now in the light of specific club needs for next year. In many cases you are just acquiring ammunition to put yourself in a better position to acquire players to cover next seasons needs. IMO.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 05:26 PM)
What about Danks + Rios for pitching prospects? Getting Danks off the books would be nice. The Giants seem to do well with diminished starters, if in fact Danks never returns to where he was.

Then you look for position players with the other guys.

That seems counter-intuitive, you want to get impact payers back but at the same time you are decreasing the value of what you are offering by attaching Danks contract. And there is not real good reason to trade Danks now, with an injury like his the recovery does not complete until the year after the player returns to the mount, so you are really selling at the lowest possible value given his performance and money owed.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)
That seems counter-intuitive, you want to get impact payers back but at the same time you are decreasing the value of what you are offering by attaching Danks contract. And there is not real good reason to trade Danks now, with an injury like his the recovery does not complete until the year after the player returns to the mount, so you are really selling at the lowest possible value given his performance and money owed.

I firmly believe that going to a 4-lefty rotation would negatively affect the development of both Q & Santiago. I would rather have both over Danks due to the mon ey & the uncertainty on Danks. Also, any team taking on Danks would believe they could get something out of him, so the second player's value shouldn't be hurt too much.

Let's say Peavy/Rios gets you 2 good looking prospects/unproven MLB guys plus 1 further away piece that has talent & is more of a longshot. I would add Danks, take the same deal, and let them keep 1 of the prospects as payment for assuming the risk associated with Danks & paying him. Of course if the organization feels it's probably a 70% chance or better than Danks makes a full recovery, I do none of that, and instead look to deal one of Q/Santiago ideally for a position player.