Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
Looks like Tim Hudson is out for the year (and career?).

Have the Braves just entered the Peavy sweepstakes?

The Braves don't seem to have the kid of high demand talent we'd want back for Peavy right now from what people have said.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:15 PM)
Maybe I'm being dumb, but I just don't like having a pitcher be the best part of a deal. Especially if this deal might be our only major move

I will be supremely disappointed if this is the only major move.

QUOTE (Gldfinger5 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:25 PM)
According to twitter, Red Sox fans seem to hate the idea of giving up middlebrooks for peavy. Still seem to have hope for the guy.

RedSox fans on twitter Re trying to figure out why we want anything at all and should be wicked happy to allow Peavy to join the red cubs.

Some selections from BA's 2012 season preview of Middlebrooks:

He threw low 90s fastballs and occasionally spun plus curveballs as a pitcher, and he drew interest from college football programs as both a quarterback and a punter . . . If scouts drew up a blueprint for a third baseman, it would look like Middlebrooks. He has the size, athleticism, power and arm strength coveted at the hot corner . . . Right now, most of his homers come to the opposite field and are line drives that carry out of the park . . . Middlebrooks is an aggressive hitter who doesn't walk much and may not hit more than .275 or so in the majors . . . He's doing a better job of waiting for pitches he can hammer rather than getting himself out early in counts. He also understands that he's at his best when he lets his power come naturally, though he can get home run-conscious at times. Middlebrooks is a below-average runner but moves well for his size and isn't a liability on the bases. He's an asset at third base, where he's extremely agile and has a cannon for his arm . . . has the tools to blossom into an all-star.

Also hit very well in AFL

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:15 PM)
Maybe I'm being dumb, but I just don't like having a pitcher be the best part of a deal. Especially if this deal might be our only major move

It's not dumb by any means. Matter a fact I think it's dumb to think that pitching should be the best part of a deal....Unless they plan on moving Q/Santiago as well and that's where they get their hitters.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:27 PM)
RedSox fans on twitter Re trying to figure out why we want anything at all and should be wicked happy to allow Peavy to join the red cubs.

Yes they seem to have that attitude that we should be honored that the Red Sox want any of our players, and we should be happy with whatever Rule 5 eligible they choose to throw our way.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:02 PM)
Not the greatest farm. Especially position players.

Are they willing to trade though? Some of these teams just won't trade anything but scraps. I'll take high ceiling players in the lower minors over busts or decliners.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 02:45 AM)
Yes they seem to have that attitude that we should be honored that the Red Sox want any of our players, and we should be happy with whatever Rule 5 eligible they choose to throw our way.

Yup, many of the replies to the mlb.com article are laughable.

He's having a horrible year, but I can see him turning it around. The Red Sox pushed youkilis out of town for him, so the organization clearly had high expectations.