2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
I see no reason to take Hoffman at 3 and if it is with Rodon on the board, it is unconscionable

It's even more unconscionable to not be able to sign Rodon, who might already have peaked as a pitching prospect six months ago (see Miller, Andruw) and have the rebuild set back by another year.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)
It's even more unconscionable to not be able to sign Rodon, who might already have peaked as a pitching prospect six months ago (see Miller, Andruw) and have the rebuild set back by another year.

Here is an interesting thought. What if next year's draft is better than this year? Maybe you take Rodon, don't sign him and "blame" Boras and next year, you get the 4th pick in addition to the one we earn from this year. I could see that as a possibility if the draft class were just bad, which does not seem the case this year.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Here is an interesting thought. What if next year's draft is better than this year? Maybe you take Rodon, don't sign him and "blame" Boras and next year, you get the 4th pick in addition to the one we earn from this year. I could see that as a possibility if the draft class were just bad, which does not seem the case this year.

You also lose the ability to spend the pick value of that 1st rounder though which is something like $6 million.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)

Thats likely another year of development that's lost, and another year closer to FA Chris Sale gets.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
Is that right? Then, nevermind, that would be a horrible idea.

For example, say a team has $10 million to spend in the first 10 rounds. Lets pretend that the 1st pick holds a slotted $$ figure of $6 million. That means that if you don't sign your 1st round pick, the team would only have $4 million to spend on the rest of the draft. This happened to the Pirates a couple years ago. They drafted Appel 8th overall. After signing the rest of their draft class, they only had the $3.8 million available to sign Appel that was the slot value of that selection. They got another top ten pick the next year however.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)

Some people would have suggested top teams would have done that last year with the expectation of a strong 2014 draft. If this draft is no longer viewed that strongly, that should be your red flag. If this year is still viewed as a strong draft, then that doesn't sound smart either.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
I see no reason to take Hoffman at 3 and if it is with Rodon on the board, it is unconscionable

It all depends on how much money Rodon is looking for. If he is looking for 1st pick money with Borass has his agent, it could very well be a wasted pick.

I think Jackson is the best position player in the draft, I think if the Sox were to draft him that we would be willing to sign under slot a al Carlos Correa so the White Sox would be able to sign better players later in the draft.

If I were Rick Hahn, Alex Jackson would be the pick at #3 because the ceiling is so high and there is just too much poetential with the bat. Aiken and Kolek wouldn't look bad at #3 either.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 11:06 PM)
I think Jackson is the best position player in the draft, I think if the Sox were to draft him that we would be willing to sign under slot a al Carlos Correa so the White Sox would be able to sign better players later in the draft.

If I were Rick Hahn, Alex Jackson would be the pick at #3 because the ceiling is so high and there is just too much poetential with the bat. Aiken and Kolek wouldn't look bad at #3 either.

I understand the philosophy but I think the Sox should do what they do. Draft the best pitcher. Then draft more pitching. If you can load up on arms you can always trade for already developed position players from other organizations.

I think the Sox grab Hoffman and they give him the slot value for the number four pick which saves them $1.1M, if you add that to their second round money that makes their second selection worth ~$2.4M or about the same as the 16th pick. That would be huge in grabbing someone that slips due to signability issues, like a Toussaint, Gatewood, Newcomb, or Davidson. The Sox have to offer at least 4,577,200 to the number three pick in order to receive compensation. I think they get the guy they want underslot and have a really good draft.

This weeks stat update:

Carlos Rodon - 8 IP 11H 6R 3ER 0BB 5K

Season - 8 GS 2.44 ERA 55.1 IP 49H 30R 15ER 18BB 60K

Tyler Beede - 8 IP 5H 4R 4ER 2BB 6K

Season - 8 GS 2.81 ERA 48 IP 30H 24R 15ER 16BB 52K

Jeff Hoffman - 8 IP 7H 1R 1ER 1BB 7K

Season - 8 GS 3.40 ERA 53 IP 42H 23R 20ER 19BB 52K

Sean Newcomb - 6.1 IP 6H 4R 4ER 3BB 8K

Season - 7 GS 0.78 ERA 46 IP 20H 5R 4ER 22BB 54K

Newcomb had a poor start and gave up his first ER of the year and Rodon got hit pretty hard, but still managed 8IP. Hoffman had probably his best start of the season against one of the best teams in the conference. Rodon's arrow is pointing down, Houston has to be weighing their options now between Aiken, Kolek, Rodon, and Hoffman.

Notes from ESPN Draft Blog:

They say Rodon no longer a lock for top 3, but won't last beyond 6. Says destinations are Houston, Marlins, Cubs, or Mariners.

Scouts were impressed with Beede battling back after giving up 3R in the first inning. Beede has been linked with Twins, Sox, and Rockies.

Brady Aiken K'd 10 in a no-hitter last week. Now has 40K/24IP.

Mentions prep Grant Holmes, says he will be a quick mover, no ace potential but a solid #2. Lack of projection will keep him from a top 5 pick.

Scout says Turner may just be a utility guy, likely mid-first rounder.

Kyle Schwarber is #1 C now, Pentecost's stock has slipped.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1499

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
Notes from ESPN Draft Blog:

They say Rodon no longer a lock for top 3, but won't last beyond 6. Says destinations are Houston, Marlins, Cubs, or Mariners.

Scouts were impressed with Beede battling back after giving up 3R in the first inning. Beede has been linked with Twins, Sox, and Rockies.

Brady Aiken K'd 10 in a no-hitter last week. Now has 40K/24IP.

Mentions prep Grant Holmes, says he will be a quick mover, no ace potential but a solid #2. Lack of projection will keep him from a top 5 pick.

Scout says Turner may just be a utility guy, likely mid-first rounder.

Kyle Schwarber is #1 C now, Pentecost's stock has slipped.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1499

Notable to me is that they mention all the teams picking around the White Sox as possibilities for Rodon, but not them. Rodon is such an enigma now, I'd be so torn if the Sox did end up taking him.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
Notable to me is that they mention all the teams picking around the White Sox as possibilities for Rodon, but not them. Rodon is such an enigma now, I'd be so torn if the Sox did end up taking him.

Unless Rodon slides them a number that makes sense (slot, at absolute most), they will not draft him. They cannot afford to lose this pick.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 08:01 AM)
I understand the philosophy but I think the Sox should do what they do. Draft the best pitcher. Then draft more pitching. If you can load up on arms you can always trade for already developed position players from other organizations.

I think that is a horrible mindset, and if you're a GM with that mindset you're never going to set your team up for long term success.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
Unless Rodon slides them a number that makes sense (slot, at absolute most), they will not draft him. They cannot afford to lose this pick.

I agree. I think that Rodon will end up with the Cubs if Houston doesn't take him.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
I think that is a horrible mindset, and if you're a GM with that mindset you're never going to set your team up for long term success.

Everyone needs pitching. They aren't good at developing hitters.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)

Except that the White Sox have done this to large extent, and they have used that excess pitching, to get themselves highly regarded position player prospects to rebuild their team.