2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
Sounds a lot like the same kinds of things that were said about Zach Greinke coming into the draft.

What major league comps are being made with/about Hoffman?

I heard Verlander...not sure if that was from Law or somebody else.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
Interesting take from Keith Law. He's very down on Rodon and always been pretty excited about the athleticism and potential of Hoffman.

Nick (Chicago)

Rick Hahn has stated the White Sox are targeting a college pitcher with their #3 pick in the draft. Who offers more upside Hoffman or Beede?

Klaw (1:04 PM)

Hoffman. More velocity, great athlete, underdeveloped as a pitcher right now. Beede's the safer pick of the two, but I would bet that if they have both guys staring them in the face (and Rodon too) they'd take Hoffman.

This very much reiterates what Bucket has been trumpeting. I still like Hoffman personally.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
This very much reiterates what Bucket has been trumpeting. I still like Hoffman personally.

I like Hoffman as well. I have also seen Kevin Gausman mentioned as a comp as far as body type and repertoire.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)
I know people have said he's probably a Boras guy, but man, spending an extra year in college because you needed $8 million instead of $5.7 million, when you're a pitcher, just sounds absolutley nuts.

Especially when you at the escalation between your arb years and free agent years. You want to get the majors as quick as humanly possible if you really want to get paid.

Sox also might steer away from a Boras guy because they won't be able to sign one of his clients to a Sale- or Quintana-like deal. Boras is a guy that will play the contract out year by year, so that his client can get to FA ASAP.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
Sox also might steer away from a Boras guy because they won't be able to sign one of his clients to a Sale- or Quintana-like deal. Boras is a guy that will play the contract out year by year, so that his client can get to FA ASAP.

Worked well for Crede and Jenks, not.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
Worked well for Crede and Jenks, not.

Jenks' agents were Genske and Felder, and the Sox were never comfortable giving him a long term deal because he never got serious about getting himself in better shape. They were smart.

Throw out the college stats. You scout on what can be.

Hoffman has the most upside. Verlander & Wainwright are legit comps.

He's a stellar athlete with velo, body and feel. Flashes 70FB/60CB/55CH already.

Lauman has been all over him since before the cape.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)

He's a stellar athlete with velo, body and feel. Flashes 70FB/60CB/55CH already.

So...plan on the Sox taking Hoffman? ;)

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
So...plan on the Sox taking Hoffman? ;)

I trust in the White Sox scouting process and research for this pick. I honestly would be happy with any of the top five guys (Rodon, Aiken, Hoffman, Kolek, Beede) and whoever they take they obviously believe in. If Hoffman's struggles this year let him drop to the Sox and he is their guy all along, all the better.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)

So with all that said, the Marlins will surely take him.

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG 2h

#ECU RHP Jeff Hoffman as advertised in the first. Moved around 94-96 FB, flashed a plus 77-80 CB, 86-87 CH just OK. #mlbdraft @ECUBaseball

Expand

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG 1h

#ECU RHP Jeff Hoffman touched 97 in the second, doing a terrific job of keeping FB low in the zone. That CB has a lot depth too. #mlbdraft

Expand

Really impressed with Jeff Hoffman's ability to change speeds/feel. One beautiful AB last frame: 97 FB, 82 CB, 82 CB (both plus). #mlbdraft

Expand

After his changeup was just okay in the first inning, Jeff Hoffman's CH has gotten much better since. Still showcasing 95-97 velo, too.

Expand

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG 22m

#ECU RHP Jeff Hoffman just sick in 6th. ++ CB, CB, then upper 80s CH for a K. He motions the #Rice hitter to "get off the field". #mlbdraft

Expand

The book on Jeff Hoffman was that if he can get into a groove, he's almost unhittable. He did that early in this one, has looked tremendous.

Expand

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:52 PM)
Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG 2h

#ECU RHP Jeff Hoffman as advertised in the first. Moved around 94-96 FB, flashed a plus 77-80 CB, 86-87 CH just OK. #mlbdraft @ECUBaseball

Expand

#ECU RHP Jeff Hoffman touched 97 in the second, doing a terrific job of keeping FB low in the zone. That CB has a lot depth too. #mlbdraft

Expand

Really impressed with Jeff Hoffman's ability to change speeds/feel. One beautiful AB last frame: 97 FB, 82 CB, 82 CB (both plus). #mlbdraft

Expand

After his changeup was just okay in the first inning, Jeff Hoffman's CH has gotten much better since. Still showcasing 95-97 velo, too.

Expand

#ECU RHP Jeff Hoffman just sick in 6th. ++ CB, CB, then upper 80s CH for a K. He motions the #Rice hitter to "get off the field". #mlbdraft

Expand

The book on Jeff Hoffman was that if he can get into a groove, he's almost unhittable. He did that early in this one, has looked tremendous.

Expand

Good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:18 PM)
Was this at Tennessee? Y'all could have sent me in person if it was here.

Yep, the series is in Knoxville this weekend. I didn't even think about it, but yeah, would have been nice to have you there in person. Dang.

Edited by dasox24