2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 10:11 PM)
This thread just has a new darling every week. First it was Trea Turner, then it was Jeff Hoffman, then it was Beede and now it's Aiken. I don't think Rodon makes it past Houston so it really comes down to the direction of Miami and then we have the whole field to go from. If Rodon (barring an injury) somehow gets passed on at #3, I will be kicking s*** in my kitchen on the first Thursday of June.

In Rick Hahn we trust.

Hahn just called Rodon the best college arm in the draft, so the only way he gets past us is if Hahn thinks Rodon will want 1-1 money regardless of draft position. Unfortunately, I think a strong possibility if he makes to #3, which means he's probably off the table either way. I do agree with you that he's by far the best pitcher in this draft.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bit of a newb question, but is the ultimate decision on picks made by the general manager or the scouting director? Obviously they'll consult and whatever but if there's a disagreement, who has the ultimate say, Hahn or Laumann? Hahn?

Well, the chain of command is Reinsdorf --> Williams --> Hahn, but I haven't seen any indication that either Reinsdorf or Williams would step in and overrule Hahn on the decision.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
It's so difficult to imagine the Sox organization drafting a high school pitcher that high. Over the weekend, Hawk and Stoney were talking about how research showed that a high school pitcher loses about 2-3 mph when they enter professional baseball.

Sure, but that's not really surprising considering that velocity decreases every year for pitchers, on average:

Pitcher_Curves_All1.png

Credit to Bill Petti for this graph and the corresponding research.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
It's like the college basketball Top 25.

The in-season oscillations don't matter.

In the end, it's how you pitch in events like the College World Series, just like Kentucky is playing now. In the end, the best talent usually shows up when it counts, the cream rises to the crop. Regular season games are ONE indicator, but far from the most accurate indicator or barometer.

This is a perfect way to overdraft a person that just so happens to get hot at the right time. Jared Mitchell has been anything but good.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 10:32 PM)
Bit of a newb question, but is the ultimate decision on picks made by the general manager or the scouting director? Obviously they'll consult and whatever but if there's a disagreement, who has the ultimate say, Hahn or Laumann? Hahn?

The GM makes the call, the scouting director is their to make suggestions in the war room.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 05:41 PM)
People are putting WAY to much stock into early season statistics.

It is almost mid-season now. We are six weeks in with 10 to go until the draft. Rodon's stock has definitely taken a hit, mostly due to control issues. He is striking out a lot of guys but throwing a tremendous amount of pitches to get it done. In his last start he threw 116 pitches in 4.2IP.

From an NL scout on ESPN "This is now four or five starts in a row where he's had a 55 [on the 20-80 scout scale] fastball, plus-plus slider and reliever command. I know it's only March, but if you're going to be the No. 1 pick, don't you want to see some semblance of consistency?"

Rodon is no longer the far and away number one, he has come back the pack. He still may be #1 overall, but it is a conversation now and not a foregone conclusion as it was going into the season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 07:27 AM)
This is a perfect way to overdraft a person that just so happens to get hot at the right time. Jared Mitchell has been anything but good.

I was referring more to collegiate pitchers, but there are always going to be exceptions...pitchers that peak at the right time, the Matt Ginters of the world.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
It's like the college basketball Top 25.

The in-season oscillations don't matter.

In the end, it's how you pitch in events like the College World Series, just like Kentucky is playing now. In the end, the best talent usually shows up when it counts, the cream rises to the crop. Regular season games are ONE indicator, but far from the most accurate indicator or barometer.

As far as Rodon's signability, Hahn is familiar enough with how Boras operates to properly gauge if pursuing him is worthwhile. With the timeframe in place, the last thing the White Sox can afford is to be pushed back one year from having the best arm available to them as soon as possible to plug into that rotation and make it playoff caliber.

The CWS begins a week after the draft. The draft will be held between regionals and super regionals.

Nation High School Invitation Tournament starts today, here are some notes:

Potential (unlikely) second target Touki Toussaint - Touissant's first 13 pitches all fastballs 93-94. Three up three down. Did break out his bball to the third batter.; out after 6+IP at #NHSI14; 1H, 5BB, 12K, 116 pitches. 92-94 early; 89-92 late; Touki allows first hit in 6th, sitting 90-91 in 6th and working in improved mid 80s CH. Made 2 athletic defensive plays

Likely first rounder Dylan Cease out with elbow soreness. Jacob Gatewoods team in action, he has a single so far. Expected first rounders OF Braxton Davidson, OF Michael Gettys, and LHP Foster Griffin are also there.

Gettys is interesting. He is a toolbox, though with terrible swing mechanics and has been reported to have one of the strongest arms some scouts have seen. Probably snatched up by the time the Sox pick at 42, but fits the profile of the athletes the Sox have pursued in the past.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
Gettys is interesting. He is a toolbox, though with terrible swing mechanics and has been reported to have one of the strongest arms some scouts have seen. Probably snatched up by the time the Sox pick at 42, but fits the profile of the athletes the Sox have pursued in the past.

I already "hate" him - just say no.

I pray that Gettys is gone by the time the Sox have their second pick. Seems like he could wind up being another Mitchell or Thompson to me. The Sox have plenty of high ceiling athletic outfielders that "just need to put it all together". I'd like to see them take Jakson Reetz in the 2nd.

I've watched Beede pitch probably 20-25 times via webcast the past 2.5 years. Not sure his upside his huge, but probably a pretty safe bet to make the majors and be an average starter. Reminds me a lot of a guy like Jordan Zimmerman. Solidly built righty will sit 92-94, can touch 96, good overhand curve that's certainly a plus pitch. Change up is inconsistent but a plus pitch when on. As many pointed out, he has had issues with BB especially early in his college career, but has still had success. Looked to me early on like he didn't trust his stuff in a tough conference. If he can reign in his command and polish up the change, he's a 2-3 mlb starter. I think his floor is probably a AAAA player (baring injury) , and likely he'll be somewhere in between. Probably a pretty fast riser too as he's had great success against top notch college competition and has 2 and 1/2 mlb ready pitches

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
Reading this thread makes me not want any of them.

Well when there isn't a once-in-generation type like Strasburg or Harper, every top prospect is gonna have warts. And hell look at Strasburg, he hasn't had nearly the impact people thought he would have. Granted, he has had injuries.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 07:44 AM)
I pray that Gettys is gone by the time the Sox have their second pick. Seems like he could wind up being another Mitchell or Thompson to me. The Sox have plenty of high ceiling athletic outfielders that "just need to put it all together". I'd like to see them take Jakson Reetz in the 2nd.

Gettys is likely long gone by the time the Sox pick. Some have compared him to Buxton with an ugly swing. MLB.com has him ranked as the #10 overall prospect. This was interesting though:

"It's a bad swing, but I can't just ignore the other talent," an AL Central scout said. "It may only end up a 45 [on the 20-80 scouting scale] hit tool, but when you're above-average to plus everywhere else, I think you can still be a major league regular, in my opinion. It's going to take some time, but his skillset is a special one."

Edited by IowaSoxFan

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
He has a career FIP of 2.79 and career rates of 10.4 K/9 and 4.1 K/BB. He had a surgery his sophomore season and got shut down by management in another.

I don't care how it is happening, but he is not staying healthy and not finishing seasons.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
Gettys is likely long gone by the time the Sox pick. Some have compared him to Buxton with an ugly swing. MLB.com has him ranked as the #10 overall prospect. This was interesting though:

"It's a bad swing, but I can't just ignore the other talent," an AL Central scout said. "It may only end up a 45 [on the 20-80 scouting scale] hit tool, but when you're above-average to plus everywhere else, I think you can still be a major league regular, in my opinion. It's going to take some time, but his skillset is a special one."

"...can still be a major league regular..."

No thanks in the first round, lol.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
"...can still be a major league regular..."

No thanks in the first round, lol.

I thought it was interesting that it came from an AL Central scout. He really doesn't seem that different from Courtney Hawkins in terms of tools. The only way the Sox are involved is if he is available at #42.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
I thought it was interesting that it came from an AL Central scout. He really doesn't seem that different from Courtney Hawkins in terms of tools. The only way the Sox are involved is if he is available at #42.

I think it's #44. Not sure if anything else can happen to change that.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2014/order.jsp

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
Sorry, I was referring to the #10 rank on mlb.com earlier in that post.

I'd happily let other people gamble on that one. In the mid to late first round, you get a lot of guys like that who "might" be major league contributors but who have some degree of mad skills.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
I think it's #44. Not sure if anything else can happen to change that.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2014/order.jsp

Sorry, you're right, I was subtracting the Mariners and Red Sox picks, but it looks like they were already subtracted. So #44 for now until/if Morales and/or Drew sign, which could push it to #46.

This weeks matchups-

Sean Newcomb v Stony Brook 11 am 3/29 - Probably the best competition he will face all year.

Carlos Rodon v Miami 5PM ESPN3

Jeff Hoffman v UMBC 1 PM

Tyler Beede v #19 Kentucky 5:30pm

Edited by IowaSoxFan

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
Sorry, I was referring to the #10 rank on mlb.com earlier in that post.

Less so at 10, but more in the 15-20 range, you are guessing and hopeful. You take the most talented guy you can draft, and this kid seems like he's brimming with it. Plus, if he's willing to sign for a below slot value, it makes him more attractive in that 8-12 range as someone you can bring in and allocate more funds later on.

No, I don't want the Sox to draft him unless he falls to the 2nd, but there are plenty of reasons to draft him at 10 or so. The #10 overall prospect? That I'd strongly disagree with.