2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
Law has his first prospect rankings (top 50) for the draft up:

1 Brady Aiken

2 Kolek

3 Rodon

4 Beede

5 Grant Holmes - Plus fastball that he can run up to 98 with great feel and control.

6 Hoffman

7 Jackson

Others of notw

15 Newcomb

19 Gatewood

20 Turner

39 Toussaint

Do you have a link? Interesting how far Hoffman has fallen in his list, especially considering how high he was on him. I don't know much about Grant Holmes..HS arm? Looks like we have our choice of arms, fantastic news because I think that would be great value selecting that high.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
Do you have a link? Interesting how far Hoffman has fallen in his list, especially considering how high he was on him. I don't know much about Grant Holmes..HS arm? Looks like we have our choice of arms, fantastic news because I think that would be great value selecting that high.

It is an insider article.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-2014-mlb-draft

Hoffman at #6. Guess I'm not the only nut who thinks performance matters, even if just a little. :D

Here's hoping he kills it for the rest of the season. I have a hard time believing HS pitchers will go 1 and 2, but you never know.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
He's got Turner all the way down at 20

I tend to agree. He's got three extra base hits this year. What's his upside? Juan Pierre? Odds are he won't hit enough to make much of an impact with his speed. Give me a guy with a shot to be a front line starter.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
Law has his first prospect rankings (top 50) for the draft up:

1 Brady Aiken

2 Kolek

3 Rodon

4 Beede

5 Grant Holmes - Plus fastball that he can run up to 98 with great feel and control.

6 Hoffman

7 Jackson

Others of notw

15 Newcomb

19 Gatewood

20 Turner

39 Toussaint

Thanks for posting this. According to Law, the Sox potentially have a choice between Rodon or Beede. That's a difficult decision that I would gladly welcome.

From the game thread:

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
Rick Hahn in the booth talking about the draft. Calls Rodon "certainly the best college arm", talks about the possibility of going for a lower-bonus guy at 3 and spreading money throughout the later picks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
I can't see Hahn passing on a possible #1 just to have more money for later rounds

I think it is gamesmanship. There are 4 pitchers that could be in play for the Sox there, and RH could be setting them up to say he will take the one that will sign on his terms. If it comes to Aiken, Rodon, Hoffman, Kolek, Beede, Newcomb, and Holmes, it is tough to say you are making the wrong call by selecting any of them.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)
I think it is gamesmanship. There are 4 pitchers that could be in play for the Sox there, and RH could be setting them up to say he will take the one that will sign on his terms. If it comes to Aiken, Rodon, Hoffman, Kolek, Beede, Newcomb, and Holmes, it is tough to say you are making the wrong call by selecting any of them.

If you have the guys you have a choice of all graded right about the same, why wouldn't you pick the guy you could sign cheapest if it meant getting more talent later in the draft. Houston did it well.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 07:56 AM)
The college pitchers are screwing this up. I have to believe the braintrust would like to take a college arm, other things being relatively equal.

It plays right into the RH's hand. They get a top talent with lower bonus money and spread it around to later draft picks.

I would think the Astros with Nolan Ryan in charge would definitely be tempted to take local product Kolek, since they just drafted a polished university hurler in Appel last year.

Is there a "will sign for cheaper" guy the Marlins might be targeting at #1? Like what the Astros worked out with Correa before the draft?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/fri...r-aces-stumble/

TCU LHP Brandon Finnegan moving up into the Top 10

Edited by caulfield12