2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)
This is not true. It's a projection business. Jeff Hoffman has the stuff and athletic profile to be an ace. Beede is safe which is fine as well. Kolek is awesome but already massive and his secondary stuff isn't great. Hoffman looks to have problems with his mechanics and repeating his delivery. That is a White Sox specialty. I would take Hoffman over Beede because of the stuff but if Hoffman is gone, Beede woudl be fine with me. Watch Jacob Gatewood as well though. The kid could be a superstar, franchise builder type.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying here, but picking as high as 3, you want results as well as projection, especially with a college guy. Guess I'll just have to post the articles as they appear.

Friendly wager says he's not top 5.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
I don't disagree with anything you're saying here, but picking as high as 3, you want results as well as projection. Guess I'll just have to post the articles as they appear.

Friendly wager says he's not top 5.

It should be interesting, man. I am glad that I don't have to make the decision. We are in agreement that obviously the team needs a difference maker though. It has to be the right guy. I am just glad the buzz is dying on Trea Turner. I was never really a fan.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
It should be interesting, man. I am glad that I don't have to make the decision. We are in agreement that obviously the team needs a difference maker though. It has to be the right guy. I am just glad the buzz is dying on Trea Turner. I was never really a fan.

Yep, it may be the most important pick we'll make for a long, long time. Gotta get this one right. One year of super-suckitude is enough for this fan, and I hope we never draft this high again. If they do take Hoffman, imo, it will be because they've specifically identified something easily fixable.

Then again, maybe all the top guys turn out to be studs, and comparisons will amount to hair-splitting. Beede could be the "safe" pick as you say. Gray and Bryant have moved ahead of Appel in many minds already, though it's way early, and perhaps that is a reasonable comp to this situation.

But Gray DID have the results, too, and perhaps fell only due to the Adderol test fail. TIFWIW, but a day or two before that test, my buddy in Houston, who's a huge Cubs fan, was absolutely certain the Stro's were taking Gray, and the Cubs would take Appel. The bastards lucked into Bryant, according to him.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Isn't it really early to be writing off draft picks?

Of course it is, and nobody's "writing off" anybody. Just think enough guys will pass him that he goes 6th or lower. Trea Turner has already "tumbled", according to many, but sure, he could easily climb back up, too.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
Yes.

Hopefully the Marlins' front office is as sheepish as some of the posters around here. Hoffman is the best athlete (as far as staring pitchers), has a great workhorse frame and dominated the Cape Cod like. I would't be upset if we got Beede but Hoffman is the guy I want.

The Cape Cod League, what a joke, you're hanging your hat on that? The only reason it's on the radar is that it's convenient for scouts to see a lot of players. Like the AFL. How much stock you putting in that? At the end of the day, it's a tiny sample size, like any other tiny sample size. You know, like 5 starts for instance. ;) Except JH's stint was even tinier - 4 starts and 24.1 innings.

I'm not Hoffman-averse, but if you don't think he needs to show folks some better results to maintain his lofty draft status, you're not paying very close attention. Law alluded to his slippage three weeks ago, and he hasn't set the world on fire since that time.

And I'm anything but "sheepish", preferring the highest risk guy who I think might possibly be available, Kolek, but thinking Beede may be impossible to ignore if he dominates the SEC. Our braintrust seems rather non-risk-averse in this regard, given the Sale and Danish drafts, so I'm confident they won't play it "safe", unless they believe that the "safe" pick will also be the best pick in the end. Sometimes it is.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 09:38 PM)
He does need to have better results, you're right. At this junction, he's the most projectable starter and has the chance to be a top end starter.

We're on the same page here. When you read between the lines in recent descriptions of him, you get the feeling that the scouts are expecting him to "put it all together" to yield those results, based upon what they've seen in the CCL and elsewhere, and various levels of disappointment (mostly mild, so far) that he hasn't quite arrived. There is PLENTY of time, though, for him to get it going.

Through this weekend

Rodon - 6.2 IP 5H 2R 2ER 4BB 12K 1HBP

Season - 2.45 ERA 36.2 IP 27H 15R 10ER 11BB 42K

Beede - 7.1 IP 3H 2R 0ER 1BB 7K

Season 0.84 ERA 32.1 IP 14H 6R 3ER 6BB 40K

Hoffman - 6.1 IP 7H 6R 5ER 2BB 5K

Season - 4.06 ERA 31 IP 23H 17R 14ER 15BB 37K

Newcomb - 7 IP 2H 0R 0ER 3BB 8K

Season - 0.00 ERA 24.2 IP 10H 1R 0ER 12BB 31K (four starts)

Beede looks like he has found an answer for the questions around his control. Watched Rodon Friday night and wasn't all that impressed though maybe it was an off night, through too many pitches out of the zone and that will not work in pro ball. Throws too many pitches as it is.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
Through this weekend

Beede looks like he has found an answer for the questions around his control. Watched Rodon Friday night and wasn't all that impressed though maybe it was an off night, through too many pitches out of the zone and that will not work in pro ball. Throws too many pitches as it is.

I am thrilled that Beede has emerged to strengthen the top of the draft. Unless Hoffman completely tanks the rest of the year away, Rodon, Hoffman, and Beede make a strong top three overall players who happen to project to be exactly what the Sox are reportedly looking for. I would be very happy with any of those three.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 07:21 PM)
The Cape Cod League, what a joke, you're hanging your hat on that? The only reason it's on the radar is that it's convenient for scouts to see a lot of players. Like the AFL. How much stock you putting in that? At the end of the day, it's a tiny sample size, like any other tiny sample size. You know, like 5 starts for instance. ;) Except JH's stint was even tinier - 4 starts and 24.1 innings.

I'm not Hoffman-averse, but if you don't think he needs to show folks some better results to maintain his lofty draft status, you're not paying very close attention. Law alluded to his slippage three weeks ago, and he hasn't set the world on fire since that time.

And I'm anything but "sheepish", preferring the highest risk guy who I think might possibly be available, Kolek, but thinking Beede may be impossible to ignore if he dominates the SEC. Our braintrust seems rather non-risk-averse in this regard, given the Sale and Danish drafts, so I'm confident they won't play it "safe", unless they believe that the "safe" pick will also be the best pick in the end. Sometimes it is.

The Sox will not draft a high school player with the third pick.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)

You are mostly likely correct, but going back just a few years, they never would have picked the Sale or Danish types either. Things change.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)

Kershaw was a HS grad when drafted by LA. Still very risky, but if Sox can't sign the pick they get a very high pick next year.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)
Kershaw was a HS grad when drafted by LA. Still very risky, but if Sox can't sign the pick they get a very high pick next year.

Is Kolek reputed to be a tough sign? Inquiring minds wanna know.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
Is Kolek reputed to be a tough sign? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Haven't read anything that indicates one way or another but from what I have read this kid loves baseball. Last I read he's the top HS pitcher so its hard to imagine this kid would turn down millions and a chance to start his professional baseball career to go play college ball.

I'm with you Stan, would love to sign Kolek if Rodon and Beebe are unavailable. I havent written off Hoffman but unless he turns it around he would be my fourth choice (maybe not even that) behind Kolek, Beebe and Rodon.

I keep looking at video on Kolek and the kid is very impressive. People can knock his slider and curve all they want but those pitches are still impressive for an 18 yo. At that age its hard to imagine those pitches won't improve as he matures over the next few years.

ESPN has an insider article on last weekends big matchups. Here are some highlights.

On Beede:

"The big improvement with Beede is the control, but both his curve and change have been much more consistent pitches as well. His command will never be elite, but if he can get to within the margin of error with his fastball, he's a top-of-the-rotation guy. "

On Nola:

"his low arm angle has scouts concerned that lefties will eat him up at higher levels -- but you can't deny that his stock is up."

Rodon:

"He still shows a plus fastball and the occasional plus-plus slider, but neither pitch has been consistent, nor has his command."

Weaver:

"Weaver on the other hand, has seen his stock shoot up in the early spring. The right-hander's numbers are similar to last year (2.29 ERA, 19 walks 119 strikeouts in 98 2/3 innings last year, 2.25 ERA, 6 walks 24 strikeouts in 24 innings this year), but he's looked much better doing it with a better breaking ball and touching 97 mph on the radar gun."

"Rodon still looks like a top five lock, with Weaver being a mid-first round target for teams like the Cleveland Indians and Kansas City Royals. "

My top three at the moment would have to be: 1. Rondon, 2. Beede and 3. Kolek. You cannot deny that Kolek has elite stuff that is once in a blue moon for a high school pitcher. I really do not care if he takes three years to make the majors, if he is the guy who projects the best for the future of all the guys remaining at the number three spot, I think the sox should pull the trigger even if it is at the expense of someone who could possibly contribute within a year.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 07:12 AM)
My top three at the moment would have to be: 1. Rondon, 2. Beede and 3. Kolek. You cannot deny that Kolek has elite stuff that is once in a blue moon for a high school pitcher. I really do not care if he takes three years to make the majors, if he is the guy who projects the best for the future of all the guys remaining at the number three spot, I think the sox should pull the trigger even if it is at the expense of someone who could possibly contribute within a year.

If I were to project a top 5 today it would be:

1 - Houston - Rodon - Rodon is down a little, but pairing him with Appel will be very appealing

2 - Miami - Kolek - Miami loves HS players with big upside, Kolek is that

3 - Sox - Hoffman - Pedestrian numbers this season, but the stuff is elite and he has the frame to be successful over the long hall.

4 - Cubs - Beede - Beede's arrow is pointed up and the Cubs are starved for pitching. Beede could be the fastest riser as a pro.

5 - Minnesota - Alex Jackson - Twins continue their trend of selecting prep players grabbing the top prep bat in the class.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
If I were to project a top 5 today it would be:

1 - Houston - Rodon - Rodon is down a little, but pairing him with Appel will be very appealing

2 - Miami - Kolek - Miami loves HS players with big upside, Kolek is that

3 - Sox - Hoffman - Pedestrian numbers this season, but the stuff is elite and he has the frame to be successful over the long hall.

4 - Cubs - Beede - Beede's arrow is pointed up and the Cubs are starved for pitching. Beede could be the fastest riser as a pro.

5 - Minnesota - Alex Jackson - Twins continue their trend of selecting prep players grabbing the top prep bat in the class.

If Hoffman turns his season around I think that's an ideal situation for the Sox. I believe Rock said that Hoffman aced his interview with the Sox and there is big organizational love for him. If he continues to struggle, I wouldn't be surprised if Beede wouldn't surpass him, if he hasn't already.

The White Sox have a ton of faith in their pitching production through the minor leagues. Don't discount the chance that even if a guy like Hoffman is sliding, that the organization sees a mechanical reason for that to be happening, with the full knowledge that a tweak puts him back on track. That is why they drafted Chris Beck where they did, and the guy is flying through the organization.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
The White Sox have a ton of faith in their pitching production through the minor leagues. Don't discount the chance that even if a guy like Hoffman is sliding, that the organization sees a mechanical reason for that to be happening, with the full knowledge that a tweak puts him back on track. That is why they drafted Chris Beck where they did, and the guy is flying through the organization.

I agree, the Sox are going to make the decision based on which player they feel is going to be able to most help the major league club for a long time. If they love Hoffman as much has been speculated, this season is going perfectly for them, otherwise he will not be around when they pick.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
Through this weekend

I'll add Kolek's numbers.

5 IP 0 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 11 SO

Season - 0.00 ERA 15 IP 0 H 0 R 0 ER 1 BB 35 SO (three starts)

And just to compare (as far as high school pitchers).. one of my favorite prospects Touki Toussaint.

4 IP 1 H 1 R 0 ER 1 BB 7 SO

Season - 0.38 ERA 18.1 IP 11 H 5 R 1 ER 8 BB 28 SO

Yea...