2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
@laurakeeley: Carlos Rodon is done. 7.2 innings, 6 hits, 2 runs (1 ER), 3 walks, 1 HBP, 12 Ks and a career-high 134 pitches. #Duke up on State 2-0

Wow

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/vin...ukes-van-orden/

"Duke senior David Perkins, who had 20 at-bats entering the game, led off the second inning by pounding an elevated 95 mph fastball over the fence in dead-center field. In the third, Mike Rosenfeld doubled to right-center on another elevated fastball, and Jordan Betts drove him in on a single through the drawn-in infield on a 96 mph heater.

“When I leave the ball up, I just beat myself,” Rodon said. “That ball that, I don’t know who it was that hit that home run, the ball’s up. You throw a slider there, he’s out. You throw a fastball down, he’s out. That’s probably the only ball he’ll ever hit off me.

Sounds like Rodon is kind of a douche. Would having a "mean streak" be the scouting term?

"Rodon, of course, owns the most explosive slider in college baseball, and it was at its best Friday, devastating the Blue Devils at 86-89 mph. BA’s Clint Longenecker recorded 55 sliders from Rodon, and 67 percent of them were strikes—and a staggering 54 percent of his slider strikes came via swings and misses. Over the first three innings, he also showed his best fastball velocity, sitting at 94-96 and touching 98 once. But it was elevated in those early innings, and Duke took advantage."

55 sliders? No wonder his fastball has been less than impressive this year. I read that a scout would recommend whatever team draft him to force him to not throw sliders or very few during games to make him get outs with his fastball, cutter, and split-change.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)

"Duke senior David Perkins, who had 20 at-bats entering the game, led off the second inning by pounding an elevated 95 mph fastball over the fence in dead-center field. In the third, Mike Rosenfeld doubled to right-center on another elevated fastball, and Jordan Betts drove him in on a single through the drawn-in infield on a 96 mph heater.

“When I leave the ball up, I just beat myself,” Rodon said. “That ball that, I don’t know who it was that hit that home run, the ball’s up. You throw a slider there, he’s out. You throw a fastball down, he’s out. That’s probably the only ball he’ll ever hit off me.

Sounds like Rodon is kind of a douche. Would having a "mean streak" be the scouting term?

"Rodon, of course, owns the most explosive slider in college baseball, and it was at its best Friday, devastating the Blue Devils at 86-89 mph. BA’s Clint Longenecker recorded 55 sliders from Rodon, and 67 percent of them were strikes—and a staggering 54 percent of his slider strikes came via swings and misses. Over the first three innings, he also showed his best fastball velocity, sitting at 94-96 and touching 98 once. But it was elevated in those early innings, and Duke took advantage."

55 sliders? No wonder his fastball has been less than impressive this year. I read that a scout would recommend whatever team draft him to force him to not throw sliders or very few during games to make him get outs with his fastball, cutter, and split-change.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)

Ehh. Just sounds confident to me. Also, doesn't he have an 80 slider? Why wouldn't you want him to throw his best pitch?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
Ehh. Just sounds confident to me. Also, doesn't he have an 80 slider? Why wouldn't you want him to throw his best pitch?

There's decent evidence suggesting heavy slider usage leads to velocity loss and elbow or shoulder injuries.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
There's decent evidence suggesting heavy slider usage leads to velocity loss and elbow or shoulder injuries.

I understand that but he isn't anywhere close to what he is without that 80 grade slider.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
I understand that but he isn't anywhere close to what he is without that 80 grade slider.

If he keeps throwing that many sliders, you know TJ surgery isn't far behind.

And for a team that is aiming to compete in 2015-2018, that's not what you want to deal with for your #2/3 starter.

In fact, he's probably going to throw even more sliders and a lot more "high stress" pitches the next six weeks to up his strikeout totals.

Other than Jason Stumm and Kris Honel, what other first round picks have gone to high school pitchers in recent memory?

So there's Brian West, Bobby Seay (that one didn't work out so well), Gio Gonzalez (the one success story), Joel Davis and Tony Menendez since Steve Trout in 1976.

A total of 7. Oops, 8, Daryl Boston was actually drafted as a LH pitcher but obviously became an outfielder (if you want to count him as a pitcher instead of OF).

College pitchers: Grady Hall, Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez, Scott Ruffcorn, Scott Christman, Chris Clemons, Kyle Kane, Aaron Myette, Jim Parque, Rocky Biddle, Kip Wells, Matt Ginter, Rob Purvis, Wyatt Allen, Royce Ring, Tyler Lumsden, Lance Broadway, Kyle McCulloch and Aaron Poreda.

So 19 to 7, or 8 if you count Boston as a pitcher and not an outfielder.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)

He relies on it too much. His fastball is lagging behind in development because he keeps throwing sliders. In the minors stats don't matter, development does. If he has to learn how to get hitters out with his other pitches it makes his whole arsenal better.

In that article he says he has to aim at the dirt with his fastball just to keep it down. College hitters are sitting fastball because his command of it is below average. That would be a major red flag for me if I was considering taking him. The Sox would have to feel comfortable that the fastball, cutter, and change will improve enough to let his world class slider have maximum effectiveness.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 13, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
Been my sentiment all along. I worry he's a guy we draft under slot. He's been horrible against good competition this year as well.

The only way that happens is if Hoffman goes 1 or 2 and Rodon is demanding way over slot. Honestly, I think Hoffman will be available at 3 and he'll be our pick. He just makes too much sense for us.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 13, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
The only way that happens is if Hoffman goes 1 or 2 and Rodon is demanding way over slot. Honestly, I think Hoffman will be available at 3 and he'll be our pick. He just makes too much sense for us.

Agree. I think Houston and Miami both take the HS arms at 1 and 2. Sox go with Hoffman at #3 and Cubs take Rodon. Obviously this will all change.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 13, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)

Do these highly ranked kids demand a specific bonus before draft day?

This weeks stat update:

Carlos Rodon - 7.2 IP 6H 2R 1ER 3BB 12K

Season - 9 GS 2.29 ERA 63 IP 55H 32R 16ER 21BB 72K

Tyler Beede - 5 IP 9H 7R 4ER 4BB 4K

Season - 9 GS 3.23 ERA 53 IP 39H 31R 19ER 20BB 56K

Jeff Hoffman - 6.1 IP 8H 3R 2ER 0BB 4K

Season - 9 GS 3.34 ERA 59.1 IP 50H 26R 22ER 19BB 56K

Sean Newcomb - 5.1 IP 8H 4R 4ER 1BB 3K

Season - 8 GS 1.40 ERA 51.1 IP 28H 9R 8ER 23BB 57K

Second rough outing for Newcomb in a row, he was also pushed back a day so perhaps he is having some arm issues.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 13, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
Agree. I think Houston and Miami both take the HS arms at 1 and 2. Sox go with Hoffman at #3 and Cubs take Rodon. Obviously this will all change.

They have advisors (agents) that the teams reach out to get an idea of what it would take to sign a kid. Some of that has changed due to the slotting system, but teams still have a good idea of how much the player will cost in relation to the slot value. There was a lot of speculation that when Sale was drafted, his agent told a lot of the clubs picking before the Sox a higher price than he was actually going to sign for cause the Sox had a deal worked out where he would be in the majors by the end of the season.

Laws new draft blog is up, talks about Rodon's overuse throwing 118 pitches in 7 IP and then going out for the 8th before finally being pulled after 134. Talks about Luke Weaver as a quick moving mid-late first rounder. Question whether Max Pentecosts swing will make it in pro-ball. Had this write up on a potential second rounder

"Sprayberry High School shortstop Michael Chavis has had some first-round buzz after a very strong spring season at the plate, showing strong hit and power tools after a modest showing last summer. Chavis is maxed out physically, 5-foot-10 or 5-11 and already very strong, so there's less projection than there is on your typical high school prospect. He has a quiet approach with strong hands and wrists, so the contact he makes tends to be hard, with plenty of loft in his finish. He showed better running speed than I expected, above average to plus down the line, although I think he'll settle in as a 55-rated runner in a year or two.

He has the arm to play anywhere on the field, but his footwork isn't right for shortstop; he could move to third, or even right field, but he has a catcher's build and the intensity for that position, assuming he has the interest. I know a few teams have discussed having him catch at their pre-draft workouts; his bat might be too advanced to take that risk, but you've got a potential superstar if he takes to the position quickly. "

That sounds intriguing for the Sox with a system bereft or catching talent, especially at the lower levels, unless Ayala or Barraza ever come around. With the MI depth in the system, it sure would seem worth taking a flyer if the Sox feel he can catch.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
This weeks stat update:

Carlos Rodon - 7.2 IP 6H 2R 1ER 3BB 12K

Season - 9 GS 2.29 ERA 63 IP 55H 32R 16ER 21BB 72K

Tyler Beede - 5 IP 9H 7R 4ER 4BB 4K

Season - 9 GS 3.23 ERA 53 IP 39H 31R 19ER 20BB 56K

Jeff Hoffman - 6.1 IP 8H 3R 2ER 0BB 4K

Season - 9 GS 3.34 ERA 59.1 IP 50H 26R 22ER 19BB 56K

Sean Newcomb - 5.1 IP 8H 4R 4ER 1BB 3K

Season - 8 GS 1.40 ERA 51.1 IP 28H 9R 8ER 23BB 57K

Second rough outing for Newcomb in a row, he was also pushed back a day so perhaps he is having some arm issues.

Thanks for the update. Any idea how Kolek and Aiken pitched?