2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 6, 2014 -> 12:33 AM)
Rodon.

I would say it depends on Hoffman's remaining starts. They obviously liked Hoffman a lot before the injury so if he comes back and is healthy and dominant I wouldn't be stunned if they take him.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ May 6, 2014 -> 07:54 AM)
I would say it depends on Hoffman's remaining starts. They obviously liked Hoffman a lot before the injury so if he comes back and is healthy and dominant I wouldn't be stunned if they take him.

I still think he's the guy. Plus I still remember bucket's post about Laumann being in love with him for a while now.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 6, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
I have heard Laumann say that Rodon is far and away the best player in the draft. When Laumann was saying he loved Hoffman, he probably never imagined Rodon might be a possibility at #3. Even so, Rodon still probably isn't available at #3.

I agree, I think through all of Rodons struggles he is still the favorite to go 1-1 based on his track record and tremendous stuff, I think many teams realized he has not been developed the way he should have as the NCSU coaches are really more interested in getting to the college WS than Rodon's pro potential. Kolek is the sleeper at 1-1 based on his arm and proximity.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 6, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
I have heard Laumann say that Rodon is far and away the best player in the draft. When Laumann was saying he loved Hoffman, he probably never imagined Rodon might be a possibility at #3. Even so, Rodon still probably isn't available at #3.

To be fair, it makes sense to laud all of the top prospects to keep those around you guessing on who you will pick. More importantly, it also gives you some leverage in any pre-draft negotiations that may take place.

Hypothetical, If the White Sox have eliminated Rodon off their board due to signability concerns or otherwise, it makes no sense to let anyone know that. When the Sox go to a Jeff Hoffman to try and set the perimeters for a deal before their pick, it behooves his camp to play ball if the Sox are doing him a favor by giving him 1-3 money, rather than 1-4 or worse. As the difference between slot money at #3 and #4 is over a million dollars.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Scenario-

Hoffman's last two starts are dynamite and sox take him at 3.

Do you think they could pull off signing him for less because of injury concerns?

Haha great minds, I just posted about this scenario. Yes, I think it's a plausible that the Sox just love something about Hoffman and would feel more comfortable with a college pitcher rather than rolling the dice with one of the HS kids or dealing with Boras. It makes all the sense in the world to hide that by talking up Rodon, Kolek, and Aiken to give them leverage against Hoffman's camp in negotiations.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 6, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
I agree, I think through all of Rodons struggles he is still the favorite to go 1-1 based on his track record and tremendous stuff, I think many teams realized he has not been developed the way he should have as the NCSU coaches are really more interested in getting to the college WS than Rodon's pro potential. Kolek is the sleeper at 1-1 based on his arm and proximity.

Proximity to Houston?

To the big leagues? To being the next Roger Clemens?

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
To be fair, it makes sense to laud all of the top prospects to keep those around you guessing on who you will pick. More importantly, it also gives you some leverage in any pre-draft negotiations that may take place.

Hypothetical, If the White Sox have eliminated Rodon off their board due to signability concerns or otherwise, it makes no sense to let anyone know that. When the Sox go to a Jeff Hoffman to try and set the perimeters for a deal before their pick, it behooves his camp to play ball if the Sox are doing him a favor by giving him 1-3 money, rather than 1-4 or worse. As the difference between slot money at #3 and #4 is over a million dollars.

If they're doing him a favor (based on injury concerns which they have no way of verifying before the draft to their satisfaction), then he probably isn't the best pick for that spot.

Too much of risk. Of course, Jackson/Aiken/Kolek are equivalent or greater risks.

Look at how long it has taken the Royals to get anything out of Moustakas, for example. He had a similar or better profile to Jackson coming into that draft. And Bubba Starling has been even more of a disaster.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 5, 2014 -> 11:26 PM)
You're Rick Hahn and Aiken and Kolek are off the board, who do you take at pick #3?

Hoffman. I am warming up to Rodon but I hate the idea of working with Boras.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 6, 2014 -> 07:44 AM)

I think they will take Rodon over Hoffman, if they think he will sign for 1-3 money and not 1-1 money. If it takes 1-1 money, you absolutely can't draft him (unless you have him so rated above everyone else that it makes sense to go cheap / under slot the rest of the draft; which I presume isn't the case).

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 6, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
Hoffman had a setback. Not making his planned start this week. Stay tuned.

Yep, disregard my previous two posts. He's going to fall down draft boards.

Good news: We will get one of Aiken/Rodon/Kolek

Bad news: We'll have to pay them handsomely unless we can create enough smoke to fluff up other prospects. Jackson? Beede? Newcomb?

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 6, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
Yep, disregard my previous two posts. He's going to fall down draft boards.

Good news: We will get one of Aiken/Rodon/Kolek

Bad news: We'll have to pay them handsomely unless we can create enough smoke to fluff up other prospects. Jackson? Beede? Newcomb?

Do we know who the agents (advisors) are for Kolek and Aiken? Is it likely that Boras has all three?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 6, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
Do we know who the agents (advisors) are for Kolek and Aiken? Is it likely that Boras has all three?

We probably would have heard if Aiken or Kolek had Boras. The current Boras players I know of are currently Rodon, Jackson, Fedde, and Conforto.

Edited by DirtySox