Game Thread 7/8: CUB @ SOX

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 10:26 PM)
Not many busts hit 25 homers and drove in 80 last year. SOX are way, way, way better off keeping Tank around for another year before giving up on him.

I agree that they'd be selling on him low right now. I also wonder why he is the scapegoat right now when so many others are making even worse mistakes than him.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
I agree that they'd be selling on him low right now. I also wonder why he is the scapegoat right now when so many others are making even worse mistakes than him.

Simple, he's the youngest (lecturing him might have more of a positive impact as he's the most likely to be around, you don't criticize someone unless you really care about them and believe they can and will get better, etc.) or one of the youngest starters. Along with DeAza and Ramirez, his overall play has fallen off the most from 2012...but those other 2 guys are veterans and seemingly harder for a manager to criticize without running the risk of losing respect or the clubhouse itself (I would argue by seemingly NOT doing anything, he's lost some respect/fear as well).

Next, there are more available options/alternatives at LF (Tekotte, Wells, Wise, Danks, Keppinger, Dunn, Jared Mitchell) than any position on the roster. We don't have natural back-ups for Ramirez and Rios.

Third, he still has the most future potential if he puts it together of anyone on the roster.

Fourth, everyone's tired of picking on Flowers and his replacement has already been brought up.

Viciedo has made the fewest mental mistakes of these other players being mentioned. Like I said earlier, he is not in need of an attitude adjustment. He's in need of better play.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 11:29 PM)
Really? I'll paint you a scenario here. Santiago and Garza both pitch 8 shutout innings. 3 hits scattered for each team. Jones/Thornton/Whoever enters game in the 9th inning. Cubs hit a HR. So unless the Sox score 2 in the 9th all of the coaches except Harold Baines should be fired? You are a special man.

On paper, the Sox were a contender in this pathetic division this year. I'd venture to say Robin has done one of the worst managing jobs since Bevington. The team plays buffoon-like baseball. Yes, I'd think one win in four tries against the equally pathetic Cubs is not too much to ask. To not win one, to me, shows lack of respect for the game of baseball and Sox fans. I do care about the Cub series. The reason "nobody cares" is the Sox suck this year. You could say "nobody cares" about any Sox game the rest of the year if you want to play that game.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:32 AM)
On paper, the Sox were a contender in this pathetic division this year. I'd venture to say Robin has done one of the worst managing jobs since Bevington. The team plays buffoon-like baseball. Yes, I'd think one win in four tries against the equally pathetic Cubs is not too much to ask. To not win one, to me, shows lack of respect for the game of baseball and Sox fans. I do care about the Cub series. The reason "nobody cares" is the Sox suck this year. You could say "nobody cares" about any Sox game the rest of the year if you want to play that game.

They don't

Let's brainstorm for a new manager.

Someone with some fire in his belly!

Guy can't be afraid to get in people's faces.

Swear words are a-okay so that we know he's into the game.

He should be very animated.

He must speak the language of his Spanish-speaking players.

Must be a former White Sox.

World Series rings preferred.

Any ideas??? This is your cue, Greg

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:35 PM)
Let's brainstorm for a new manager.

Someone with some fire in his belly!

Guy can't be afraid to get in people's faces.

Swear words are a-okay so that we know he's into the game.

He should be very animated.

He must speak the language of his Spanish-speaking players.

Must be a former White Sox.

World Series rings preferred.

Any ideas??? This is your cue, Greg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Banister

Best manager I've ever been around. Now the bench coach for the Pirates in his 3rd full season. No nonsense, no mistakes tolerated, almost like a Marine Corps drill sergeant but everyone on the staff/front office respected the hell out of him and the players did too.

Led us to the SAL championship in 1995 and has almost twenty years of experience now.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 01:55 AM)
What a bizarre atmosphere. Both of these organizations should be ashamed of themselves for letting it get to the point where this series isn't even interesting for the fans

Kenny Williams is much smarter than we give him credit for. No doubt he would have been on a very hot seat if he stayed behind.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:02 AM)
This team isnt even trying

I have no idea how Ventura survives this season. When one of your top trade chips is called out by a scout/executive for not hustling, that falls back on the manager.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 01:06 AM)
Personally I dont care if they hang on to Rios. Teams dont give you what you want then screw them.

I agree, I don't mind if Rios sticks around. However, when you start hearing scouts echo what many of us have said on here about the lack of hustle by players on this team, it gets frustrating.