8/14/2013 White Sox vs. Tigers

kageman129

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 10:14 PM)
And it does nothing but hurt your team's chances of rebuilding.

How bout signing the guy from Cuba? Where's the outrage that we are not going to get him? That's a way to rebuild FAST. There are other ways to win than hope your team loses and gets a higher draft pick. Like I said, we STILL get a first rounder no matter what. SHould be a decent player in theory.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And the draft may be a crapshoot from top to bottom, but there is a TON of value in not only getting into the top 10, but getting one of those top picks. Just check the history of the draft. In TWo drafts back to back with top 10 picks Washington got Storen, Strasburg and Harper. Since we are completely out of any playoff contention, if you want your team to improve then you want their odds to best the best it can be to draft a future all-star. The only way to improve those odds is to lose, and lose alot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
Soxtalk ... where people inexplicably care about the crapshoot called the baseball draft.You may think I'm crazy. But I'd rather finish .500 than get the No. 2 pick in the draft. I.Don't.Care.

Good for you Greg, the rest of us don't care about fourth place.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
How bout signing the guy from Cuba? Where's the outrage that we are not going to get him? That's a way to rebuild FAST. There are other ways to win than hope your team loses and gets a higher draft pick. Like I said, we STILL get a first rounder no matter what. SHould be a decent player in theory.

Having a first round pick is not the same as having a top 1-3 or even 1-10 pick. Its just not.

And who said they arent signing the 26 year old from Cuba, Jose Abreu (he has a name BTW)? If you want to start b****ing about them possibly not doing it then rage dude.s

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)

What? The guy hasn't even got a citizenship yet, let alone been declared a free agent. Kenny already stated they were watching film on the guy, but if he fit, they saw no reason they wouldn't chase him. I think your declaration of outrage is vastly premature.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)

I'll be very unhappy if he signs somewhere for like $80 million and that place is not the Chicago White Sox.

I'll be less annoyed if someone offers him 9 figures.

So we bunt the runners over (buzzkill right there) and two guys feebly make outs to end the game. The White Sox are pure garbage. My god.

When you are this far under .500 trying to sweep, just kill the bunt strategy one time. See if we hit into the double play. At least it'd be a different scenario of failure.

This team is a pile of crap. Hopefully next year it'll be better. s*** that inning pisses me off.

Edited by greg775

In theory Robin did the right thing asking Phegley to bunt the runners over with 2 lefties coming up. Down 2 get 2 runners in scoring position with 1 out. Phegley did his job but I'm sure most of us would rather see Pheg's get a chance to hit since it's been a little while since his early call up heroics . That's our only pleasure now hoping the kids come through when it counts not watching them bunt.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 10:24 PM)
In theory Robin did the right thing asking Phegley to bunt the runners over with 2 lefties coming up. Down 2 get 2 runners in scoring position with 1 out. Phegley did his job but I'm sure most of us would rather see Pheg's get a chance to hit since it's been a little while since his early call up heroics . That's our only pleasure now hoping the kids come through when it counts not watching them bunt.

I know he went by the book and did the right thing. It was so predictable what would happen, though after giving them the first out. Danks' at bat was a joke. DeAza wasn't going to be hero 2 days in a row. Not this season.

Oh well. I think we all knew that game was pretty much over when Miggy tied it with one swing of the bat. It was just how were we going to lose this one?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
As a fan, I can't write off seasons. I can't write off any game. Going .500 would mean ALOT more happy summer days for me. It's not an occasional win. Now, after the season? I'm not thrilled with .500, but like I said, I'd rather go .500 than get the No. 1 pick in the draft. That would probably mean my team sniffed the playoffs at least and I had an interesting summer following baseball. Who cares about the draft? It's an inexact science. They aren't going to suddenly say we can't have a first-round pick. Give me a first-round pick and I'm good with that.

As a fan, I care about f***ing championships. I like when the Sox when games solely because it gets them closer to the playoffs. You can enjoy rooting for your .500 seasons, I'm going to root for chance to get back to the World Series.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
I'll be very unhappy if he signs somewhere for like $80 million and that place is not the Chicago White Sox.

I'll be less annoyed if someone offers him 9 figures.

If it get's that high ,and it's 50/50 right now , the Sox won't get him, $60-65 it's possible . Just my opinion.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 10:29 PM)
Alright lets get a better pick! great game, great strategy!

I was told posts like these are jokes, making people have fun with the season. So I'll take it that way. I just don't see the same joke over and over as being that funny.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
I was told posts like these are jokes, making people have fun with the season. So I'll take it that way. I just don't see the same joke over and over as being that funny.

Then spend less time reading Soxtalk. It's half joke, half us trying to find solace in a silver lining. If it's not how you cope with this s***hole season, then stop reading it.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
If it get's that high and it's 50/50 right now if it does the Sox won't get him, $60-65 it's possible . Just my opinion.

The way I read Steve Stone's statement on Abreu the day it was reported he defected, I think the Sox basically wanted him to know they were putting in a bid at about $65 million.

Stone said "If the bidding gets to $70 or $80 million I don't think the White Sox will be in it".

I struggle to think that he would have just said something like that on his own even if he is Steve Stone. That was very specific, on a subject brought up by Stone during the game, to the point where it sounded a lot like an opening bid.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 10:30 PM)
As a fan, I care about f***ing championships. I like when the Sox when games solely because it gets them closer to the playoffs. You can enjoy rooting for your .500 seasons, I'm going to root for chance to get back to the World Series.

You are misquoting me. My high end goal isn't .500. It's to win way more than that. My response was I'd RATHER GO .500 than get the No. 1 pick. Because ... I get a ton more wins from my favorite team during my favorite time of year, baseball season. I'll take the draft as it comes. Do I want my team to take Trout instead of Mitchell?? Of course. Do I want Sale over Hochevar (what a draft pick bust)? Of course.

My ultimate goal isn't .500. But will I take it over a No. 1 pick? Of course I would.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
If it get's that high and it's 50/50 right now if it does the Sox won't get him, $60-65 it's possible . Just my opinion.

I agree with this. Right now the going rate should be 50 million, but it could creep upwards of 100 at that point the Sox are probably out. This is a player in his prime (26) and this may be his only really productive contract for all we know.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
You are misquoting me. My high end goal isn't .500. It's to win way more than that. My response was I'd RATHER GO .500 than get the No. 1 pick. Because ... I get a ton more wins from my favorite team during my favorite time of year, baseball season. I'll take the draft as it comes. Do I want my team to take Trout instead of Mitchell?? Of course. Do I want Sale over Hochevar (what a draft pick bust)? Of course.

My ultimate goal isn't .500. But will I take it over a No. 1 pick? Of course I would.

Thats where there is a disconnect. If you want your team to win titles, you want to maximize your chances at improving your roster, at this point it would be acquiring a better pick.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 10:32 PM)
Then spend less time reading Soxtalk. It's half joke, half us trying to find solace in a silver lining. If it's not how you cope with this s***hole season, then stop reading it.

No problem. I can handle it. My point is a lot of people repeat themselves over and over, not just me. I may stress my disdain for Dunn and Rios and love for Paulie; others repeat themselves on other topics as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 10:35 PM)
Thats where there is a disconnect. If you want your team to win titles, you want to maximize your chances at improving your roster, at this point it would be acquiring a better pick.

True, but I also would prefer we sign Jose Abreu and Grandy and AJ and voila, we gots a very good team again (on paper). And that's not even talking about the MLB Draft.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
True, but I also would prefer we sign Jose Abreu and Grandy and AJ and voila, we gots a very good team again (on paper). And that's not even talking about the MLB Draft.

Yes, but to maximize your value for a prospect you have to try and get closest to the #1 pick as possible. There is quite a large fall off after the top half of the first round when you talk about over value of a prospect. If you make those moves that you mention (which has no bearing on our record this year) and also grab the best pick as possible you are maximizing your investment in players and prospects.

You dont seem to understand that having a first round pick is not the same as having a top pick. IN fact they are quite a bit different.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
You are misquoting me. My high end goal isn't .500. It's to win way more than that. My response was I'd RATHER GO .500 than get the No. 1 pick. Because ... I get a ton more wins from my favorite team during my favorite time of year, baseball season. I'll take the draft as it comes. Do I want my team to take Trout instead of Mitchell?? Of course. Do I want Sale over Hochevar (what a draft pick bust)? Of course.My ultimate goal isn't .500. But will I take it over a No. 1 pick? Of course I would.

Of course, because .500 is better than the Royals. THats the way we all think