8/14/2013 White Sox vs. Tigers

kageman129

QUOTE (mike89128 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
Great move by Ventura last inning using 3 players for one at bat. Tank for Flowers and Phegley as catcher. Since Tank and Phegley both bat from right side, I don't understand. Tank and flowers both out.

So you're saying Phegley should have been the PH .

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 09:43 PM)
So, every loss improves draft position.

Soxtalk ... where people inexplicably care about the crapshoot called the baseball draft.You may think I'm crazy. But I'd rather finish .500 than get the No. 2 pick in the draft. I.Don't.Care.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
Soxtalk ... where people inexplicably care about the crapshoot called the baseball draft.You may think I'm crazy. But I'd rather finish .500 than get the No. 2 pick in the draft. I.Don't.Care.

Draft slots get you more than .500 which gets you nothing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 09:48 PM)

You're right, this team clearly doesn't need more talent brought into the organization.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
So Miggy hits the key HR for Detroit; Adam whiffs for the Sox in similar situation.

Adam looks so uncomfortable at the plate. He should bend his knees now like Becks.

Oh I know ... he got 2 hits today.

Dunn and Cabrera comparisons are apt in the respect that they are both being paid to play baseball. After that, not so much.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 09:52 PM)
Draft slots get you more than .500 which gets you nothing.

.500 gets me a lot more happy days in the summer when I like watching my team win. That means much more to me than the luck of the draft when prospects flop all the time.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)
.500 gets me a lot more happy days in the summer when I like watching my team win. That means much more to me than the luck of the draft when prospects flop all the time.

Winning is more fun than losing

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)

.500 makes you happy? There are two categories of baseball teams, playoff team and non-playoff teams. The rest of the record is meaningless outside of the draft slot. Your team is already out of the playoffs, might as well get the best chance to add the best talent in the upcoming draft.

QUOTE (mike89128 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)
Yeah just like the 2009 draft. We take Jared Mitchell at 21, Angels take Mike Trout at 23.

A lot of Soxtalk actually wanted the SOX to take Trout instead of Mitchell with that pick.

Also... There's a big difference between the 3rd pick and 21st pick. These also a big difference between the third pick and the first pick.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
Damn knew that up and in pitch to AV was coming after he hit that triple against Scherzer up and away and obvious Benoit was pitching him in. Couldn't lay off it.

Looked from Gameday like they were busting him inside all day.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 08:57 PM)
A lot of Soxtalk actually wanted the SOX to take Trout instead of Mitchell with that pick.

Also... There's a big difference between the 3rd pick and 21st pick. These also a big difference between the third pick and the first pick.

And that's not taking into account that the earlier your pick is, the more spending money you get in the draft/international signings.

Here's a good example. There's the current Cuban sensation out there available for a lot of money. Sox COULD get him if they want him likely.

This is tangible. He's right there. Ready to play. Rather than worry about the crapshoot called the draft, why not talk NIGHT AND DAY about signing this guy? He arguably could help turn the team around next year.

There are other ways to win besides the draft where your pick might flop. I'd rather win as many games as possible to enjoy the summer and do other things to win. Besides we still get a first round draft pick every year.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 08:57 PM)

Did we ever demand to know why we didn't take Trout?