8/29 Games

flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
The only qualified guy that deserves top 100 right now is Johnson. I don't think that is even a question in my mind.

Semien should definitely be a top 100 prospect based on his tools & production, but my guess is he'll miss some lists because of the bias against Sox prospects.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
AA will (or should) have no bearing on his rankings considering he struggled overall at A+ in what will end up being probably 3 times as many games.

The AFL could be a factor, but I really think that if people are ranking him in the top 100, they're jumping the gun just a bit.

The case for him to make the list is overall, he had a very good year. He was still hitting near .300 in WS not too long ago, but he had a really bad two week slump, which brought down his overall number a little bit.

If he fares well in AFL, it will be more telling to us and the baseball world, in the sense that he will be facing more advanced pitching, versus A ball pitchers. It won't be easy for him to put on a strong showing, so this is a huge caveat.

So if he plays well in AFL, overall, he will have as good a year as any prospect in the Sox organization, and he has enough skills and tools to be considered a high floor guy which is why I think he has a chance to make the list.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
The case for him to make the list is overall, he had a very good year. He was still hitting near .300 in WS not too long ago, but he had a really bad two week slump, which brought down his overall number a little bit.

If he fares well in AFL, it will be more telling to us and the baseball world, in the sense that he will be facing more advanced pitching, versus A ball pitchers. It won't be easy for him to put on a strong showing, so this is a huge caveat.

So if he plays well in AFL, overall, he will have as good a year as any prospect in the Sox organization, and he has enough skills and tools to be considered a high floor guy which is why I think he has a chance to make the list.

Marcus Semien > Micah Johnson. If one of them is a top 100 prospect, Semien is the guy IMO.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)
You can't just look at raw numbers and call someone a strikeout pitcher. He's getting guys out now based on control and command, but he doesn't have a big fastball or a wipeout slider that these prospect evaluators are looking for. He can get away with striking out almost a batter a inning now, but in the majors, I think he's more close to a 7K/9 inning guy.

Personally I think he should be in the 40 range, but he will wind up ranking in the 50 range.

That's ridiculous. There's only 15 SP in MLB with K/9 at 9 or higher. He gets plenty of strikeouts and you're projecting him to get plenty of strikeouts.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
That's ridiculous. There's only 15 SP in MLB with K/9 at 9 or higher. He gets plenty of strikeouts and you're projecting him to get plenty of strikeouts.

Averaging close to 1k/ inning in the minors is far from indicating he would do the same in the majors. There's usually a 15% drop off between the two numbers. If you think he can average a K per inning or close to it, that's even more ridiculous. I do think he can average 7K/9. If that's a strikeout pitcher to you, then we just have different scales.

There's a reason he's always been viewed as a mid rotation starter, not an ace. His stuff is above averaging. He's had a great season, but we shouldn't have unrealistic expectations for him.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
Averaging close to 1k/ inning in the minors is far from indicating he would do the same in the majors. There's usually a 15% drop off between the two numbers. If you think he can average a K per inning or close to it, that's even more ridiculous. I do think he can average 7K/9. If that's a strikeout pitcher to you, then we just have different scales.

There's a reason he's always been viewed as a mid rotation starter, not an ace. His stuff is above averaging. He's had a great season, but we shouldn't have unrealistic expectations for him.

I didn't say he was a strikeout pitcher. I'm saying he gets plenty of strikeouts in the minors and you saying he can get 7 K/9 in the Majors is also plenty of strikeouts. I don't anything wrong with him having that kind of K rate in the Majors.