Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be really interesting to see if Wisconsin can win at Nebraska, who wins the Michigan State at Ohio State game and I'm not even feeling 100% confident that Iowa can beat Illinois at home to guarantee a bid with a 10-8 mark.

Illinois had Iowa dead in the water in the 2nd half in Champaign and let them rally back...and beating MSU at East Lansing, despite getting blown out so badly by Michigan, you just never know what way they'll respond with how wacky this season has been, with PSU and Northwestern looking quite dangerous at different points in the season.

Iowa has narrow losses at Iowa State and against Villanova, two losses against Wisconsin (another game they should have won, at Madison)....Michigan St./Michigan/Ohio State split with road wins for both teams....then recent losses at Minnesota and Indiana, which are probably their two worst losses of the season.

On the other hand, they've only won at Ohio State (when they were #4 in the country) and throttled Michigan at home. Those two wins, along with no bad losses and beating Xavier. It has been a terribly disappointing finish to the season (losing to Michigan State, Wisconsin and Ohio State at home), when a lot of fans were getting ahead of themselves and predicting Final Fours and Elite 8's.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 11:53 PM)
Fixed.

At least there are top teams out there with surefire NBA superstars on their roster. The highest draft pick in the Big Ten is coming from IU who isnt even a tourney team. Gary Harris could be a good NBA player and Stauskas is most likely a role player.

Kansas, Duke, Ok St, Kentucky, Cuse, Zona, all have high caliber NBA talent on very good teams that have a chance to win it all. I dont see a Big Ten team getting past the elite 8.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
At least there are top teams out there with surefire NBA superstars on their roster. The highest draft pick in the Big Ten is coming from IU who isnt even a tourney team. Gary Harris could be a good NBA player and Stauskas is most likely a role player.

Kansas, Duke, Ok St, Kentucky, Cuse, Zona, all have high caliber NBA talent on very good teams that have a chance to win it all. I dont see a Big Ten team getting past the elite 8.

I see your point...but you're not putting Kentucky further in your bracket than your last remaining (or couple remaining) BT teams.

There aren't dominant teams this year, you could see a Michigan, Wisconsin, maybe MSU if they put it together get to elite 8 or final four. That Michigan offense is dynamite in the college game, NBA superstars or not.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
I see your point...but you're not putting Kentucky further in your bracket than your last remaining (or couple remaining) BT teams.

There aren't dominant teams this year, you could see a Michigan, Wisconsin, maybe MSU if they put it together get to elite 8 or final four. That Michigan offense is dynamite in the college game, NBA superstars or not.

I could see MSU because they can play defense and score if healthy, Wisconsin and Michigan both have weaknesses IMO that would have been exploited more in a stronger conference year. Wisconsin lost more games at home this year to bad teams than we have ever seen.

For the Big Ten teams, it seems to come down to hitting shots (brilliant analysis right?). By that I mean no one really has any dominant post presence, so it's all about jump shooting. There's really not a good transition team either. MSU is the best bet there, but they're not very healthy.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
I really like this Wisconsin team, so the way I've been going the last few years stay FAR away from them

Do they have Acie Law though?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
For the Big Ten teams, it seems to come down to hitting shots (brilliant analysis right?). By that I mean no one really has any dominant post presence, so it's all about jump shooting. There's really not a good transition team either. MSU is the best bet there, but they're not very healthy.

I get what you mean. Wisconsin could easily lose in the round of 32, or make the final four, and neither would surprise me due to that.

MSU, March, Izzo, yadda yadda yadda you never know.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)

Iowa is pretty good in transition.