9/5 Game Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 08:49 PM)
Yeah our offense is quite putrid. We stand about a 5 percent chance of beating any team in an East Division ballpark with this current lineup.

But no matter who we draft, it'll take forever for that player to reach the bigs and I have no confidence our ownership will pick the right guy. I probably should stop being a Sox fan considering how little I believe in them right now.

I'd spend the offseason spending some money, signing some guys with a clue at the plate, maybe sign a good set up guy and beg Dunn and Konerko and Keppinger to retire (even though I love Paulie; I'd rather have him retire than sign with another team). This team could easily be out of it by May 1 next year if like I said before Detroit goes 20-8 and we continue this suckage and go 8-20 which is entirely possible especially if Robin stays. I think it's pretty obvious he's overmatched, at least that's my opinion.

Kinda funny, considering all these "draftniks" have said that the Sox aren't out next year if that's the case. Rough start, but not out.

And why does everyone think the draft pick will take years? Sale anyone?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 12:57 AM)
Kinda funny, considering all these "draftniks" have said that the Sox aren't out next year if that's the case. Rough start, but not out.

Sale is not a good example though. Very, VERY rarely are drafted player dominating pro ball a couple months later. Not many are dominating pro ball a couple YEARS later. All pointing to Sale will do is create unrealistic expectations for people to complain about when our top 5 pick next June is not in the pros within 12 months.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 12:02 AM)
Sale is not a good example though. Very, VERY rarely are drafted player dominating pro ball a couple months later. Not many are dominating pro ball a couple YEARS later. All pointing to Sale will do is create unrealistic expectations for people to complain about when our top 5 pick next June is not in the pros within 12 months.

Oh, I know. But then Beckham.

It's not gonna take years and years if they draft right.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 11:57 PM)

How many guys in the last 20 years have made it to the majors the same year they were drafted? Within one year of being drafted?

That's why.

I think Ventura good be a good example for how long a really good college prospect might take. He was drafted in 1988, and was a big contributor in 1991. So, any stud from this draft, if he's a college player, I believe it would be realistic to think he could be a difference maker in 2017.

It's not about how long it'll take, it's about how there's nothing to gain from winning a bunch of games. Seriously, unless some of these hitters have epiphanies about their approaches, they're probably better off eating s*** all month so there's a chance they'll actually be open to changing next year. If Garcia keeps accidentally getting hits by swinging at garbage and it wins us some games, we're worse off all around.

So I'll revise my position. If we get a s*** draft pick because our core players actually turn developmental corners, I'll be thrilled. Be if we lose position because Viciedo closes his eyes and runs into 5 or 6 off of some BS minor league roster expansion pitcher, it sucks for everyone.