Sad story in Oak Lawn...

Y2HH

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
Ironic that you are posting this anonymously on a message board, right?

:D

This doesn't feel anonymous anymore. Dammit Facebook and friending too many people here. :P

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 12, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
Do you know how few people are actually found insane?? You literally have to be bat s*** crazy and still the chances are you won't be found insane in court. There is no doubt she is going to prison and there is also no doubt she will be in prison while waiting for a trial don't see what your issue with the legal system is.... only thing that won't happen is the death penalty.

And, by the way, being institutionalized is no fun thing. In many/most cases, a sane person would be much better off in prison than in a mental health facility. Faking it will offer limited benefit.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 13, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
In this case, like all cases in the US, she is innocent until proven guilty. She is entitled to a strong defense in front of an unbiased judge or jury. I support our system, you reject it.

We have appeals in this country because we have so many rights. I am fundamentally opposed to the taking away of rights. You have no problem with that.

I can express outrage, horror, and empathy for this crime without demanding an immediate execution. There are countries around the world where that does happen, and none of them are where I would like to live.

I disagree she is entitled to a strong defense in a case this cut and dried. She said she did it. Her relatives know she did it. I believe she is entitled to a defense but it should be at society's terms. i.e. A QUICK TRIAL. Let her team of lawyers scramble to get it together quickly, get her in court and get her sentenced.

Look, what makes you believe our court system is working well?? You don't think it can be improved?? I happen to think so.

In a case this blatant, this case where everybody is in agreement she did it, including the murderess, why can't we get her in the f***ing courtroom SOON and convicted?? You are saying I'm against America's system of justice. I am all for people getting their day in court. I am NOT FOR giving these people all sorts of time and the benefit of the doubt when THEY ARE GUILTY OF HEINOUS ACTS AND THERE IS NO CHANCE THEY ARE INNOCENT. NONE.

Why do you think our current system of delay and zillions of appeals is the right way to conduct business in this decaying country of ours? You seem to accept this current system as the ONLY way we can and should do business. Why is that? I want improvements. And I want her in court soon so we can get on with the conviction.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
I disagree she is entitled to a strong defense in a case this cut and dried. She said she did it. Her relatives know she did it. I believe she is entitled to a defense but it should be at society's terms. i.e. A QUICK TRIAL. Let her team of lawyers scramble to get it together quickly, get her in court and get her sentenced.

Look, what makes you believe our court system is working well?? You don't think it can be improved?? I happen to think so.

In a case this blatant, this case where everybody is in agreement she did it, including the murderess, why can't we get her in the f***ing courtroom SOON and convicted?? You are saying I'm against America's system of justice. I am all for people getting their day in court. I am NOT FOR giving these people all sorts of time and the benefit of the doubt when THEY ARE GUILTY OF HEINOUS ACTS AND THERE IS NO CHANCE THEY ARE INNOCENT. NONE.

Why do you think our current system of delay and zillions of appeals is the right way to conduct business in this decaying country of ours? You seem to accept this current system as the ONLY way we can and should do business. Why is that? I want improvements. And I want her in court soon so we can get on with the conviction.

Just say it greg, you dont believe in due process.

You know, there are many times that people were believed to have committed heinous crimes, and even said so under interrogation, and it turns out they didnt. Just ask the West Memphis 3 about that. Those kids were railroaded to death row simply for looking different and being outsiders, and they were interrogated until they admitted guilt.

Im not saying this lady is innocent, she certainly looks like she is guilty as sin, but that doesnt mean we string her up in the town square and let her hang immediately.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)

We have the best judicial system in the world because even the most guilty are deserving of the same defense as the most innocent.

/shrugs

The last problem of any country is giving defendants too many rights. It just isnt a real issue.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
Just say it greg, you dont believe in due process.

You know, there are many times that people were believed to have committed heinous crimes, and even said so under interrogation, and it turns out they didnt. Just ask the West Memphis 3 about that. Those kids were railroaded to death row simply for looking different and being outsiders, and they were interrogated until they admitted guilt.

Im not saying this lady is innocent, she certainly looks like she is guilty as sin, but that doesnt mean we string her up in the town square and let her hang immediately.

I'm just talking about this case. Nobody is suggesting she was coerced into making a statement she killed her grandchild. Why can't we change the system to put the alleged murderers at a disadvantage and not the victims' families? She can have a defense. Just do it on society's terms. Why waste time? We are talking about taking a sledgehammer to a f***ing baby. If you want a civilized society this s*** HAS TO STOP.

I say change the system to give a better playing field for the victims and their families.

I agree emotionally with Greg here. If this lady admits to it and pleads guilty, get that life long cell ready for next week. There's no point in clogging up court dockets with a case like this.

But, if she doesn't confess and/or wants to put up a defense of some kind (insanity probably), she has the right to do so and you have to respect the process. Greg, it's not like this lady is leaving a cell except to go to court.

Edit: By the way, she should be taken out back and shot and/or subject to the gallows as soon as her guilt/confession is confirmed. This is precisely the type of heinous crime that deserves death, not life in prison. This lady killed an infant with a sledgehammer, and because the kid wasn't dead enough, she slit the kid's throat. She has no reason being on this earth anymore.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
I'm just talking about this case. Nobody is suggesting she was coerced into making a statement she killed her grandchild. Why can't we change the system to put the alleged murderers at a disadvantage and not the victims' families? She can have a defense. Just do it on society's terms. Why waste time? We are talking about taking a sledgehammer to a f***ing baby. If you want a civilized society this s*** HAS TO STOP.

I say change the system to give a better playing field for the victims and their families.

What do you mean playing field for victims and their families?

Weve spent 20,000 years creating a system where defendants are not put at a disadvantage, Im not about to screw that up because bad things happen.

If shes guilty, shell go to jail. Maybe today, tomorrow or 2 years from now.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)

Based on the charges I'd find it difficult to believe she's not currently sitting in jail unless she's fabulously wealthy.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
She has no reason being on this earth anymore.

If you believe in punishment she has a reason to be on this earth. Being in jail for the rest of your life is worse than falling asleep.

Either way she dies, if youre right and bad things happen to her for the rest of eternity, she just delayed it for X years. If Im right and nothing bad happens when she dies, then at least we didnt give her a get out of jail free card.

Im just not sure how anyone who wants vengeance and punishment doesnt agree with this. They are always going to die, but you only have X years on this earth when you know theyll be tortured.

I know it sick and twisted, but its logical.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
Based on the charges I'd find it difficult to believe she's not currently sitting in jail unless she's fabulously wealthy.

I presume she is, but it just would have misconstrued the point I was making. It doesnt matter if shes in jail or not, that should have no bearing or impact on how fast the trial is.

Innocent until proven guilty.

It has to mean something, and for me its something that I actually believe is worth fighting for.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
If you believe in punishment she has a reason to be on this earth. Being in jail for the rest of your life is worse than falling asleep.

Either way she dies, if youre right and bad things happen to her for the rest of eternity, she just delayed it for X years. If Im right and nothing bad happens when she dies, then at least we didnt give her a get out of jail free card.

Im just not sure how anyone who wants vengeance and punishment doesnt agree with this. They are always going to die, but you only have X years on this earth when you know theyll be tortured.

I know it sick and twisted, but its logical.

If you view living as more important than death, it's not a get out of jail free card. She's no longer allowed to live a life. That's worse than dying now and having no after life, and no worse than dying now and living eternity in hell. That's just as logical.

But really my view on this comes down to it being a waste of money/resources keeping her alive.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
We have the best judicial system in the world because even the most guilty are deserving of the same defense as the most innocent.

/shrugs

The last problem of any country is giving defendants too many rights. It just isnt a real issue.

Are all u guys attorneys? So nothing can be improved in our judicial system?? It's perfect as it, with all these delays in cut and dried cases?? This is a family murder where EVERYONE agrees she is guilty including her.

As a taxpayer I happen to be appalled at all the delays. Where are the rights for the gawddarn victims???? Tell me please.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
Are all u guys attorneys? So nothing can be improved in our judicial system?? It's perfect as it, with all these delays in cut and dried cases?? This is a family murder where EVERYONE agrees she is guilty including her.

As a taxpayer I happen to be appalled at all the delays. Where are the rights for the gawddarn victims???? Tell me please.

Do the victims have the right to hearing a complete accounting of the facts and evidence from the police as well? To be sure that the confession they're reading is one they should believe?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 03:36 PM)

I agree with you that we can make improvements. We still had the best judicial system 100 years ago and it didn't take 10 years and 2-3 appeals for someone to get sentenced. Now, that's a rarity, but it shouldn't happen.

I guess I'm not seeing where there are delays here?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 08:20 PM)
I agree emotionally with Greg here. If this lady admits to it and pleads guilty, get that life long cell ready for next week. There's no point in clogging up court dockets with a case like this.

But, if she doesn't confess and/or wants to put up a defense of some kind (insanity probably), she has the right to do so and you have to respect the process. Greg, it's not like this lady is leaving a cell except to go to court.

Edit: By the way, she should be taken out back and shot and/or subject to the gallows as soon as her guilt/confession is confirmed. This is precisely the type of heinous crime that deserves death, not life in prison. This lady killed an infant with a sledgehammer, and because the kid wasn't dead enough, she slit the kid's throat. She has no reason being on this earth anymore.

I agree with a post, finally.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 08:23 PM)
What do you mean playing field for victims and their families?

Weve spent 20,000 years creating a system where defendants are not put at a disadvantage, Im not about to screw that up because bad things happen.

People have b****ed at me in my line of work for years, dating back to when I was a kid working at a concession stand on a golf course. Now I can b**** about somebody else's line of work. I happen to think the court system is flawed. I also happen to think the medical profession is flawed. So let's fix it?? Nah, it has to stay this way forever. ... Why????

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 08:39 PM)
Do the victims have the right to hearing a complete accounting of the facts and evidence from the police as well? To be sure that the confession they're reading is one they should believe?

Sure. I'm just saying in these type cases, do it quickly. Get her in court and convicted. These type of crimes are defining the world today's kids will be living in. These horrific crimes are becoming normal. This piece of s*** woman doesn't deserve a lot IMO.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)
I agree with you that we can make improvements. We still had the best judicial system 100 years ago and it didn't take 10 years and 2-3 appeals for someone to get sentenced. Now, that's a rarity, but it shouldn't happen.

Amen, Jenks. I knew you were wise when I saw your name. As some may recall I love Bobby Jenks.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 03:36 PM)
If you view living as more important than death, it's not a get out of jail free card. She's no longer allowed to live a life. That's worse than dying now and having no after life, and no worse than dying now and living eternity in hell. That's just as logical.

But really my view on this comes down to it being a waste of money/resources keeping her alive.

No your first part isnt logical. Living in pain is not = to living. This is why people commit suicide (like many prisoners) because it offers an escape from pain.

Most people can not handle living in a cell for a night, let alone for years. No longer allowed to live presumes that living in and of itself is better than dieing, which I dont agree with.

As for its a waste of money/resources. Sure, if you just want to look at economically and not have punishment be part of it. I can obviously understand that if its truly cheaper.

(edit)

And best judicial system 100 years ago??? Were black people and women even allowed to testify back then? (Its sad that this is both a joke and serious question)

The problem is that if you asked me how to fix the system, Id give defendants more rights, not less. So that likely isnt what you are wanting to hear.

Rights of the victims?

The victims are dead, no amount of speedy trial is going to fix that. No amount of lynchings, burnings, torture is going to bring them back.

So at the end of the day, I have to protect the person who is alive and make sure that they dont end up being another victim.

Because I cant bring back someone from the dead, I cant fix whats been done, I can only try and prevent a future injustice. That is why we dont force speedy trials on defendants (in fact its the opposite the defendant has the right to request a speedy trial, because a lengthy one is generally considered to be in the govts advantage.)

Say the system is terrible, say as a taxpayer you are upset. I dont mind. Just dont believe you are going to convince me that we should be convicting people faster, or taking away rights of defendants. Not going to happen.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 08:30 PM)
I presume she is, but it just would have misconstrued the point I was making. It doesnt matter if shes in jail or not, that should have no bearing or impact on how fast the trial is.

Innocent until proven guilty.

It has to mean something, and for me its something that I actually believe is worth fighting for.

In a perfect world, how should her case be handled in your opinion? Let's say she truly is guilty (which she damn well appears to be 100 percent). Give me a date when she will be sentenced and when in a truly caring society she SHOULD be sentenced. Thank u.