2013-14 off season player movement thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Holland is a very weird dude. I wonder if Texas's front office believes this. How many of us here have ever needed surgery after falling in the house? My beautiful grandmother did when she was 76 but other than that it seems to be only athletes.

Dude, you gotta read this! Holy s***!

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId...amp;src=desktop

"It was Holland's dog, Wrigley, a boxer, who caused the starter to buckle on the stairs of his home and injure his left knee badly enough that he needed arthroscopic surgery Friday morning to repair torn cartilage."

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
Mariners close to signing John Buck. So there goes that Plan C or D.

They just spent a ton of money bringing in Cano to at least pretend to put a competitive roster out there this year. He makes a ton more sense for them if they have no other warm bodies at catcher than he does for us.

Holland is a very weird dude. I wonder if Texas's front office believes this. How many of us here have ever needed surgery after falling in the house? My beautiful grandmother did when she was 76 but other than that it seems to be only athletes.

Isn't that what happened to Carlos Boozer?

Remember when the Bears DL Bryan Robinson broke both wrists at home falling down the stairs because of his dogs? That was bizarre

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:05 PM)
Interesting, looks like JayZ has two baseball players now. Even more interesting is the southpaw signing with his right hand.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/cc-s...ion-sports.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/CC_Sabathia/stat...ame=CC_Sabathia

I think people writing with a different hand than they throw with may be more common than you think.

I write left-handed, but I throw balls with my right hand. I toss trash in the trash can with whichever.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 12:25 AM)
I think people writing with a different hand than they throw with may be more common than you think.

I write left-handed, but I throw balls with my right hand. I toss trash in the trash can with whichever.

Ya got me on this, first time I've seen this to be honest. Just never knew anyone that did it.I'm not that talented. :D

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 01:25 AM)

my uncle threw left handed but does everything else right handed. then again, he started out throwing with his right hand and then his dad forced him into being a left handed thrower.

but i have quite a few friends that were lefty/lefty when playing baseball but did everything else right handed. and some friends who were righty/righty in baseball and wrote and ate left handed. nothing worse than sitting next to those guys at a school table or eventually out to eat dinner table.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 12:25 AM)

My parents tell me that when I was little, I didn't seem to throw better with one arm than another. Since my older brothers were right-handed throwers, they knew they had gloves for me so I became a righty. I write left-handed and would generally call myself a lefty. But noooo, I couldn't be a left-handed pitcher!

Speaking of lefties

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Reds in advanced talks with Grady Sizemore, but still possible that he will go in another direction. Other teams involved.

White Sox need to sign him and bat him cleanup. Pronto

Robin Ventura hit left handed but threw right handed. That's why he could play 3B.

Rickey Henderson batted right handed but threw left handed.

Tim Lincecum throws right handed but bats left handed.

Randy Johnson threw left handed but batted right handed.

I mean, how many 3B/SS/2B can you think of that bat left handed?

I do almost everything with my right hand, but find that I have slightly better dexterity with my left handed.

In all, it's not an uncommon practice at all.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
Robin Ventura hit left handed but threw right handed. That's why he could play 3B.

Rickey Henderson batted right handed but threw left handed.

Tim Lincecum throws right handed but bats left handed.

Randy Johnson threw left handed but batted right handed.

I mean, how many 3B/SS/2B can you think of that bat left handed?

I do almost everything with my right hand, but find that I have slightly better dexterity with my left handed.

In all, it's not an uncommon practice at all.

Righty thrower lefty batter is common.

Lefty thrower, righty batter is pretty rare.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Righty thrower lefty batter is common.

Lefty thrower, righty batter is pretty rare.

It's impossible to disagree with facts, which this is. I'd be curious to see the percentage. But we see switch hitters for this reason too - while whatever side you are batting from typically does the work, this is something you can learn with practice too. Guys don't pop out of the womb switch hitters.