Old Sox Games on Youtube

Marty34

I watched the first two innings of that Yankee game. So cool to hear Jimmy rip Chet Lemon for diving into first base and harping on it, begging young kids to not do that; and Harry getting on Claudell Washington for being lousy and striking out all the time. Boy that was a weak Sox team. Some very bad or washed up players on that squad.

Piersall also ripped the Sox for having so many different lineups. Harry and Jimmy certainly told it like it is. That was just the first two innings.

Love Harry.

Harry and Jimmy really made that Oriole game seem exciting too.

They were just so much better than any announcers the Sox have had since. Harry was a great play by play guy and Jimmy was a great analyst who forgot more about baseball than most announcers knew and told it like it was. They were also very entertaining even when the team on the field wasn't.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
Harry and Jimmy really made that Oriole game seem exciting too.

They were just so much better than any announcers the Sox have had since. Harry was a great play by play guy and Jimmy was a great analyst who forgot more about baseball than most announcers knew and told it like it was. They were also very entertaining even when the team on the field wasn't.

Too be fair, they were better than any announcing team that didn't include Vin Scully.

During the Yankees game Harry spent the first three innings talking about who's at the game, who could blame him the Sox were terrible. His "I think Schueler's the pitching coach this week" was pretty funny.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 05:36 PM)
Too be fair, they were better than any announcing team that didn't include Vin Scully.

During the Yankees game Harry spent the first three innings talking about who's at the game, who could blame him the Sox were terrible. His "I think Schueler's the pitching coach this week" was pretty funny.

Part of Harry's schtick was reading the names of anybody at the game who would send up a note to the booth. Did you hear him say in the second inning of the Yankee game, 'don't you guys ever tire of sending up your names? You must come to every game.' And Piersall said, 'Harry you have to read it or their wives will get suspicious."

Another thing I noticed was lack of instant replay, and of course no mention of pitch counts. Kravek threw a ton of pitches those first few innings. Pitch counts did not matter.

I also noticed the sounds of the ballbark. People actually cheered when something happened and there way way more background noise through the game.

Tony LaRussa should have gotten a lifetime contract after leading that team to a 27-27 record to finish the year. That 79 team was horrible. I guess it was the remnants of the 77 Hitmen with Veeck having absolutely no money.

Edited by greg775

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 6, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
Harry ragging on Baines in the Yankees game is good stuff.

20 minutes of Twins at Sox, Sept. 1976

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad4m4MWSVV0

3,026 in attendance. Bostock goes for the cycle, Larry Monroe pitching for the Sox. Video quality surprisingly good.

So sad seeing Bostock. Two years later he was dead. Christ.

I've really enjoyed watching these old games, so thanks to those who brought them forward here to everyone's attention. When I first started watching Sox games, it was when Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall were calling the games, so it's been a nice trip down memory lane.

I can't help, though, with so many of these old games coming from 1981, when Harry Caray called Sox games for his one and only season with the Sox on WGN, being reminded of the lost opportunity for the franchise of having Harry sell the Sox on WGN at that point in time. Good grief - the idea of Harry calling the 1983 team over WGN? The Sox conceivably could have turned out to be the national phenomenon Caray's next team would become. Instead, they chose to go the very ill-conceived "pay tv" route back then, which catapulted Caray to the north side, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Edited by Thad Bosley

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 05:54 AM)
The first few innings of the last night game at Comiskey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zduJfQWKxA

Thanks for that link. I was at that game with my Uncle who had partial season tickets. Bringing back some great memories from that old park. My first game I went to was in 1984 and I was 6 years old and fell in love with the game. The thing I loved most from this was seeing Big Frank as a rookie. He was so massive even back then. There was no way he was a juicer. He was the best I ever saw in a White Sox uniform.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 11:54 PM)
I've really enjoyed watching these old games, so thanks to those who brought them forward here to everyone's attention. When I first started watching Sox games, it was when Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall were calling the games, so it's been a nice trip down memory lane.

I can't help, though, with so many of these old games coming from 1981, when Harry Caray called Sox games for his one and only season with the Sox on WGN, being reminded of the lost opportunity for the franchise of having Harry sell the Sox on WGN at that point in time. Good grief - the idea of Harry calling the 1983 team over WGN? The Sox conceivably could have turned out to be the national phenomenon Caray's next team would become. Instead, they chose to go the very ill-conceived "pay tv" route back then, which catapulted Caray to the north side, and the rest, as they say, is history.

the more old clips I hear of Harry the worse the idea of letting him go becomes. Keep Harry, no Hawk as GM, but Harry probably runs La Russa out of town. :)

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 05:52 PM)
the more old clips I hear of Harry the worse the idea of letting him go becomes. Keep Harry, no Hawk as GM, but Harry probably runs La Russa out of town. :)

Actually, the idea of letting Harry go doesn't keep getting worse - it already stands as the worst blunder (among many) of the Reinsdorf era. The very notion that the Sox had both Harry Caray AND WGN in '81, right at the onset of 'GN becoming the national superstation it would become, and then fluttered both away at the end of that year, frustrates me to this very day. There was no better salesman for the game than Harry, and with the power of 'GN behind him, I often wonder what the state of the franchise would be today if he had remained a Sox broadcaster on the superstation. I also wonder where the Cubs would be today without having the benefit of Harry selling Wrigley Field all of those years, instead being led by the more bland broadcasting stylings of one Milo Hamilton. We'll never know, but I do wonder.