The Value of Chris Sale

Dunt

I've been a huge proponent of rebuilding and I think its a bad idea to trade Sale. Not yet at least. There's no reason this franchise can't be a serious contender in 2015 if the right moves are made. If for whatever reason we aren't legit contenders by 2015, then yes, you have to start to explore a trade. Really don't even want to think about that though.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:08 PM)
I've been a huge proponent of rebuilding and I think its a bad idea to trade Sale. Not yet at least. There's no reason this franchise can't be a serious contender in 2015 if the right moves are made. If for whatever reason we aren't legit contenders by 2015, then yes, you have to start to explore a trade. Really don't even want to think about that though.

I tend to agree. I think it will take some really clever moves plus some fortune in the player development department.

But you aren't winning anything without an ace pitcher. And we have that at least.

You know yesterday when I made the statement about Sale have the most trade value of any pitcher in baseball, I made that comment with Jose Fernandez in mind for the #2 slot, simply because he has only done it for 1 year, and in the NL. If he repeats his performance next year, then I think he'd be #1, but right now I just don't think we can expect someone to trade their farm system for a rookie of the year.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:40 AM)
You know yesterday when I made the statement about Sale have the most trade value of any pitcher in baseball, I made that comment with Jose Fernandez in mind for the #2 slot, simply because he has only done it for 1 year, and in the NL. If he repeats his performance next year, then I think he'd be #1, but right now I just don't think we can expect someone to trade their farm system for a rookie of the year.

It's worth noting that if all his options get picked up...Sale is actually under team control for a year longer than Fernandez right now.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
How does Samardzija get involved in any conversation in which getting an ace is the team's priority. David Price or Jeff Samardzija.......ok

He is involved in the same sense that Hector Santiago is involved. Meaning he's not. Because Samardzija is not an ace.

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 08:42 AM)
I'd take Sale over Fernandez just as mentioned above, Sale has repetitive success and is only getting better.

There is a good chance that Fernandez takes somewhat of a step this year.

Based purely on talent alone, there is no way I'm taking Chris Sale over Felix Hernandez.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:48 PM)
All other things aside, if a trade were to happen with Sale this offseason, you would have to think it would be with Arizona. I know Hahn said he never would but if he's full of it, AZ is the best fit.

If they did Bradley, Owings, Davidson, Trahan and Pollock...Consider what we would be going into 2015 with.

2B Semien

SS Owings

RF Garcia

1B Abreu

DH Some LH guy

LF Viciedo

3B Davidson

CF Pollock

C Someone

SP Bradley

SP Quintana

SP Johnson

SP Santiago

SP Danks

Plus, with Dunn and Alexei coming off the books our only decent salaries would Abreu and Danks. We could sign someone like Victor Martinez for DH and use prospects to get a catcher. We would have a team full of young potential talent with a wide open payroll. I love Sale as much as anyone but if he blows out his elbow the FO would be kicking themselves if they passed on something like that. What's the saying, strike when the iron's hot?

If you move Sale you need to SP's back IMO. For the dbacks, something like Bradley, Skaggs, Davidson and either Eaton or Parra. Could include a Ramirez for Gregorious swap in there as well.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
I still don't like how our rotation would look if Sale were traded. I wouldn't want Jose Q as a #1. Same goes for Danks, Santiago, and Johnson.

You would have to get someone with ace potential in return. It is a gamble, but you plug a lot of other holes by making that gamble.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
You would have to get someone with ace potential in return. It is a gamble, but you plug a lot of other holes by making that gamble.

Right, but that someone would probably not come up right away, leaving what I said as our 2014/15 rotation

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Right, but that someone would probably not come up right away, leaving what I said as our 2014/15 rotation

Do you really need a #1 for next season? It should be more about finding out what guys are legit ML pitchers. The rotation should give opportunities for Rienzo, Johnson, and maybe Floyd to show what they have. If you are getting Walker or Bradley back they should be more than ready for 2015.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
Do you really need a #1 for next season? It should be more about finding out what guys are legit ML pitchers. The rotation should give opportunities for Rienzo, Johnson, and maybe Floyd to show what they have. If you are getting Walker or Bradley back they should be more than ready for 2015.

You are assuming that Walker or Bradley pans out or doesn't get hurt or whatever and they end up busting.

The Sox have a proven commodity in Sale. If they want to add, they should make small moves. Trading Sale is extreme, unnecessary, and would contribute to the rising possibility that the White Sox are developing a culture of losing. You aren't going to get the offer necessary.

I don't know why this always comes up.

The best course of action for an organization that can't develop position player prospects to save its life is to trade its best starting pitcher, biggest franchise piece and greatest overall asset for a whole host of position player prospects. But hey, as long as we get a couple pitchers in there we're good. I can just imagine a butt naked Rick Hahn proudly strolling through the streets of SoxTalk while all us loyal subjects loudly applaud & praise him for his fine clothes.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
You are assuming that Walker or Bradley pans out or doesn't get hurt or whatever and they end up busting.

The Sox have a proven commodity in Sale. If they want to add, they should make small moves. Trading Sale is extreme, unnecessary, and would contribute to the rising possibility that the White Sox are developing a culture of losing. You aren't going to get the offer necessary.

No, if it is was a sure thing they would pan out it would be a one for one trade. If you add 2-3 everyday players and a pitcher with the upside to match the guy you are giving up the gamble you are taking is that guy will never live up to those expectations, hopefully the contributions you are getting from those 2-3 players in 150+ games outweigh the step back you take in the 33 games that you replace that ace.

The White Sox are in danger of becoming what the Mariners have been, you have one really great SP, one really good position players and not much support beyond that.

I am not trying to advocate that he be traded no matter what, but if there is an offer that can correct a team in a hurry its needs to be considered. One great pitcher does not a world series team make, other wise Kershaw and King Felix would be dueling it out every year.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
No, if it is was a sure thing they would pan out it would be a one for one trade. If you add 2-3 everyday players and a pitcher with the upside to match the guy you are giving up the gamble you are taking is that guy will never live up to those expectations, hopefully the contributions you are getting from those 2-3 players in 150+ games outweigh the step back you take in the 33 games that you replace that ace.

The White Sox are in danger of becoming what the Mariners have been, you have one really great SP, one really good position players and not much support beyond that.

I am not trying to advocate that he be traded no matter what, but if there is an offer that can correct a team in a hurry its needs to be considered. One great pitcher does not a world series team make, other wise Kershaw and King Felix would be dueling it out every year.

Well said. Obviously they would have to be overwhelmed to move Sale now, but if they got a pitcher with ace upside, and drafted another one in June, while getting 2-3 offensive players in the process, it wouldn't be a dumb move.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
Well said. Obviously they would have to be overwhelmed to move Sale now, but if they got a pitcher with ace upside, and drafted another one in June, while getting 2-3 offensive players in the process, it wouldn't be a dumb move.

If those players took a long time to develop, couldn't be locked up, etc. etc. etc. There's a lot of value in 1) what Sale can do now, 2) what Sale can do in the future, 3) the price at which he can do it, 4) the length of time he is able to do it, 5) the fact that as an elite player he is marketable, 6) the fact that he is a reliable name to market, etc. etc. etc.

Imagine what would have happened if the White Flag Sox decided to trade Big Frank way back when for a bunch of McKay Christensens and Jeff Abbotts and the like. But oh f*** we've got Scott Ruffcorn, watch out world! You don't trade Sale unless the offer is beyond stupid. It would have to be so otherwordly dumb that when the deal was announced nobody would believe it & they'd think Rosenthal or whoever broke the story had been trolled. It would have to be the prospect version of the Vernon Wells to Anaheim deal where you'd be like WTF how is this happening? Are those people breathing? What? That's what it would have to be. Not like 5 guys from Arizona. Yuck.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)

And this is the scenario people in favor of a trade are talking about. Sale can't fill all the holes in this team himself, but trading him can provided the right players are involved. This team needs position players bad but Sale can only help this team 33 games per year.

Never fall in love with any one specific player. Let's not forget we are sox fans first and foremost.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)

Because people tend to forget that even top 100 prospects flop at a high rate and honestly think we'll get four or five legit major leaguers in return for Sale.