White Sox sign Belisario, 1-year, $3 mill

dayan024

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 07:17 PM)
Whenever I think about Veal I think about that Sunday FOX game in Los Angeles where he allowed that terrible home run.

Ya, I almost added that little tidbit but I didn't wanna be accused of cherry picking or whatever...You eliminate that game and he has a respectable 3.41 ERA. As a 2nd lefty(preferably) you can do wayyyy worse.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Sox go into ST with Veal as their #1 lefty out of the pen, then that bullpen is going to be brutal to watch. I like Veal - for what he is. A situational lefty that can be really good when on. But he is not consistent enough to be that go to guy when that tough LH bat is up and the game is on the line. And Leesman is garbage IMO. I've never been impressed with him. He seems like an Axelrod-type pitcher. I hope he proves me wrong though.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
Yeah because Webb and Sale are completely similar. It's not like Sale was a first round draft pick as a starter. You conveniently leave out the fact that Sale had dominated in every capacity and Webb started as a SP and nearly pitched his way to being a non-prospect until the Sox got their hands on him. If you don't know anything about Webb don't jump into a conversation with these foolish arguments.

I guess it should have been in green. Boy people are sensitive. The point being all pitchers throw harder in the pen. How often have you seen Webb pitch in each role? Unless you have I know as much you do.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)
For one, using Sale as a comparison has become a regular practice around her which is bulls*** on several levels.

I have never seen Webb start because he only started in Toronto except for four games in Kanny in '12. In those 4 starts he had 10.3 ERA and 2.2 WHIP. So yeah, I have never seen him start but I have seen his stats. They tell the full story. I know his velocity jumped from 91-93 up to 95-100 when he moved to the pen. I know how his K/9, BB/9, WHIP and ERA have changed dramatically after he switched to the pen.

Again should have been green only illustrating a point.

Stats never tell the full story. They give good insight but they aren't everything. I've seen the numbers as well and think it could be a good move, definately worth a shot.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 07:22 PM)
Also worth noting that Nate Jones has been better against LH hitters than he is against RH hitters so he might as well be considered a LH reliever.

Nate had always been better against RHH in the minors, so I think there is a sample issue here. I'm guessing it is because we would never let him see a decent LHH in an MLB game, except under extenuating circumstances

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 10:09 PM)
If this has already been posted, sorry, but doesn't signing Belisario make trading Nate Jones (in some package) more likely?

"More likely" yes. Certain? No.

Same boat as Reed. Young talented guy who can continue to get better and who is under team control for what, 4 more years? No reason to move him unless someone offers something above face value for him. But if someone does that...yes this makes you more willing to do so.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
I'll keep saying it but if the right return comes for Reed we should move him before his value depreciates and he becomes dispensable.

If the right return comes for anybody you should make the deal, but people were talking previously about trading Reed for Nick Castellanos, who plays for a division rival and is a top 25-50 prospect in all of baseball. What do you feel the chances are that the Sox will actually get the right return?

And why would his value depreciate? Simply because he's getting closer to free agency? He's still 4 years from that.

There's no need to deal him.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
Because it would be mean to outright someone off the 40 right before Christmas?

We could possibly see a trade. Lindstrom, Jones, Belisario, Downs, Petricka, Webb, Veal, probably Leesman (as 6th starter/long-reliever), Paulino (possibly if Rienzo out-pitches him in Spring Training and Rienzo makes it to start), then of course any break out young guy/veteran minor league signing who could possibly make it. That bullpen is getting a bit crowded I would say haha

Or we outright Heath, Morel, or Molina off of it.

Edited by chisoxfan310

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
Because it would be mean to outright someone off the 40 right before Christmas?

Have to file the paperwork and have it reviewed and approved by the league office and the player/agent. Considering there is literally nothing going on, it's certainly plausible that they take the entire week off.