White Sox sign Belisario, 1-year, $3 mill

dayan024

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a little bit puzzling to bring in Belisario when we already have Jones and Lindstrom.

We're more in need of someone to replace Thornton at the moment.

If you reallocated that $5.5 million they've just spent on Konerko and Belisario, you'd have the makings of a fairly decent veteran catcher somewhere between Soto and Navarro (Salty signed for $7 million per season as well, and fits into that "youngish" player who would be able to contribute in 2015 and 2016).

And you just know somehow that Salty signing will work out for the Rays...with a few exceptions, they've been very astute with their limited free agent budgets in the last decade. Pat Burrell was one of the few that backfired.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:45 PM)
It's a little bit puzzling to bring in Belisario when we already have Jones and Lindstrom.

We're more in need of someone to replace Thornton at the moment.

If you reallocated that $5.5 million they've just spent on Konerko and Belisario, you'd have the makings of a fairly decent veteran catcher somewhere between Soto and Navarro (Salty signed for $7 million per season as well, and fits into that "youngish" player who would be able to contribute in 2015 and 2016).

And you just know somehow that Salty signing will work out for the Rays...with a few exceptions, they've been very astute with their limited free agent budgets in the last decade. Pat Burrell was one of the few that backfired.

I am kind of drunk, but Salty signed with the Marlins. Are you thinking of Ryan Hanigan?

Edited by Paint it Black

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:50 PM)
I am kind of drunk, but Salty signed with the Marlins. Are you thinking of Ryan Hanigan?

Yeah, I knew it was a Florida team, haha.

Whoever the Rays acquire, they always seem to turn into a platoon or utility sub extraordinare or near All-Star caliber player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:58 PM)
He will fit right in.

You're not expecting "Captain" Konerko to police the clubhouse any better than he did last season, haha?

What is it with all of our headcases? Konerko, Quentin, Beckham....Dunn's turned into one with us. DeAza and Ramirez, etc.

It used to be primarily "weak" relievers or starters, like Damaso Marte at the end of his Sox career, or Javy. Or MacDougal.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:45 PM)

Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon both went on to have MVP-caliber seasons in Tampa.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
I like the signing. Power arm and they have club control until 2016 without giving out the terrible multi-year reliever deals that usually are terrible. I know he was erratic at times, but this club has been able to solve a lot of those problems when they bring in similar guys.

Under club control until 2016? Solid move then, give him a chance, see what you can do with him. Maybe he figures it out and you can trade him for something if you still aren't competing.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:19 PM)
Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon both went on to have MVP-caliber seasons in Tampa.

Those were last-ditch, desperation measures.

I meant those "mid-tier" or under the radar acquisitions in the $2-8 million range, whether it's pitching or hitting.

Ramirez and Damon were already done well before they got to Tampa.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)
Those were last-ditch, desperation measures.

I meant those "mid-tier" or under the radar acquisitions in the $2-8 million range, whether it's pitching or hitting.

Ramirez and Damon were already done well before they got to Tampa.

And then those "mid-tier" players get paid somewhere else and suck again. It is impressive.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)

Furthermore, Belisario was frequently tardy to the clubhouse on days of games, particularly when the start time was early.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/l...y#ixzz2metKkOtD

So they're saying he was a"flake".

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:39 PM)
Furthermore, Belisario was frequently tardy to the clubhouse on days of games, particularly when the start time was early.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/l...y#ixzz2metKkOtD

So they're saying he was a"flake".

I mean whatever this isn't the NBA. We have 25 players, we can afford for one to be a "flake". Right?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:42 PM)
I mean whatever this isn't the NBA. We have 25 players, we can afford for one to be a "flake". Right?

Being late a lot doesn't exactly endear yourself to management in any profession. I mean you're staying in the team hotel at least on the road . Maybe have to get to the park by 10 AM for a 1 PM game not real hard to do. Don't think Magic liked that too much.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:15 AM)
Eh every fan base hates their middle of the road relievers because they're all frustrating. Sure I'd like to see Petricka and Webb get their shots but they're middle relievers, I'm not going to lose sleep over it if they have to spend a few months in the minors.

I kind of agree with this. There are a lot of bad relievers out there. Hopefully this guy can find a comfort zone this season with the Sox. I long for the old days when starters could go 7 all the time, ideally get an out in the eighth. It seems to me the earlier we got to go to our pen (I'm talking you, Hector) the less our chances of winning. A reliever often gets lit up or has walk-itis. Maybe it's the same way for all teams. I'd like to see our record in games when we start the parade of relievers in the sixth, then the 7th. My guess is last year we lost almost every game in which that happened.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:47 PM)
Being late a lot doesn't exactly endear yourself to management in any profession. I mean you're staying in the team hotel at least on the road . Maybe have to get to the park by 10 AM for a 1 PM game not real hard to do. Don't think Magic liked that too much.

When you're out all night pulling b****es, 10 AM is early. He was probably still out doing his thang at that point when he looks down at his cell phone, half-tuned, and sees it's 10:33 and says "oh s*** (in Spanish)" and gets to the ballpark at 11:52, just in time to get his gear on, scratch his nuts, and take his spot in the bullpen.

(keep him away from Starlin)