Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
I honestly won't care if we see exciting baseball from young players who progress and grow and get better throughout the season.

Exactly. We're not going to lose 100 games but even if we do, who cares as long as our young hopefully core players progress the way we all hope they do.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
The pitching isn't really remaining intact at all. We've lost 3 starters and our closer in the past year. The two most key pieces are there but every other spot is a question mark going forward. Hopefully people step up.

I think he's referring to end-of-season, so it's not close to 3 starters.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:43 PM)
HOLY CRAP this is a great trade!!!! The young talent that Hahn is acquiring is ridiculous! As for Davidson like someone said earlier I was kind of hoping for him or Owings last year. Kind of makes me wonder wtf Towers is doing tho?.....

LOOOOOVE this!!!

Frankly Towers may have felt like Davidson wouldn't be able to hack it at 3b and would lose value without a position. We really need him to hold his own at 3b.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
The pitching isn't really remaining intact at all. We've lost 3 starters and our closer in the past year. The two most key pieces are there but every other spot is a question mark going forward. Hopefully people step up.

Wait. Is there anyone on the planet that wants the Avi Garcia/Peavy deal back? Does Santiago count as 2 starters even though he was only 0.5 starter?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
Frankly Towers may have felt like Davidson wouldn't be able to hack it at 3b and would lose value without a position. We really need him to hold his own at 3b.

In a year the Sox will have the DH position to kick around with if someone like Davidson doesn't work out at 3rd. They also may have LF depending on how Dayan does.

Had the Royals traded The Mexicutioner when he mattered and had great value, they might've gotten This. Instead they got nothing for him in the end

We just got this.. for Addison Reed.

No use in being a bad team with a good closer. Important to see that, glad we did.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
In a year the Sox will have the DH position to kick around with if someone like Davidson doesn't work out at 3rd. They also may have LF depending on how Dayan does.

I guess, but then we are right back to trying to plug in a long term solution at 3b with no prospects.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)

I don't know if this is entirely true. If he's hitting well, but a bit of a butcher at 3B it's possible he could slide over to 1B and Abreu could DH in 2014 and on.

Obviously that wouldn't be the best outcome, but just because he can't cut it at third defensively doesn't guarantee he has no value going forward.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
Wait. Is there anyone on the planet that wants the Avi Garcia/Peavy deal back? Does Santiago count as 2 starters even though he was only 0.5 starter?

They lost Floyd too. I am a Floyd fan, but I could not care less about that.

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
I don't know if this is entirely true. If he's hitting well, but a bit of a butcher at 3B it's possible he could slide over to 1B and Abreu could DH in 2014 and on.

Obviously that wouldn't be the best outcome, but just because he can't cut it at third defensively doesn't guarantee he has no value going forward.

Not no value, but considerably less value. Like, maybe not enough value that someone would give you their starting Closer value. If he didn't hack it at 3b Towers may have felt this was highest value he'd get. I'm not saying I love moves AZ is making but that's the thought process.

The trade's popularity comes from two angles:

-the saber guy's love of selling high on closers

-the traditionalist's sad angry feeling of having all this pitching and yet having the teams go nowhere, having wet noodles for bats

It passes the eye test, the brain test, all tests.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
They lost Floyd too. I am a Floyd fan, but I could not care less about that.

From my point of view I thought of our pitching "core" as Sale, Q, Hector and EJ. So at least from my point of view this offseason we lost one of those guys(the one I was personally most willing to trade, even though I do like Hector) and have added Abreu, Eaton and Davidson.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
Not no value, but considerably less value. Like, maybe not enough value that someone would give you their starting Closer value. If he didn't hack it at 3b Towers may have felt this was highest value he'd get. I'm not saying I love moves AZ is making but that's the thought process.

The other part of AZ's thought process is that they want to find guys who can help them compete right now, filling holes they have right now, but they don't want to spend too much in $ terms in the process. Therefore, they need to find established guys who can help them right now but are also cost-controlled for the next couple seasons.

If they're going to do that, then they need to be willing to give up MLB-ready guys who probably would need to struggle through a season or two before they'd be ready to help a contributor.

The White Sox can take those guys on and let them struggle if it gives them an upgrade or fills a need because 99 losses.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:11 PM)
Let's hope we get lucky (this organization deserves to be lucky IMO) and these players pan out. Hahn will have rebuilt this team with ML ready players that we'll have cost controlled. This will allow us to plug in gaps with FA.

Well put.

I hope this guy makes the team out of spring training. Then I will purchase mlb.com if I don't have to watch Kepp/Gillaspie any more.

This gives us Davidson at third, Lexi at short, Semien at second and Abreu/Paulie at first. That could be a winning infield if like you say, we get lucky. Now I'd trade Beckham for a catcher or another reliever. If we want to win, we still need a catcher who can hit a bit. I hope Davidson is good. At least on paper he's as good as any team's prospect there, like a Moustakas, etc. This guy has the credentials to be a big leaguer.

Who's our closer now?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
Well put.

I hope this guy makes the team out of spring training. Then I will purchase mlb.com if I don't have to watch Kepp/Gillaspie any more.

This gives us Davidson at third, Lexi at short, Semien at second and Abreu/Paulie at first. That could be a winning infield if like you say, we get lucky. Now I'd trade Beckham for a catcher or another reliever. If we want to win, we still need a catcher who can hit a bit. I hope Davidson is good. At least on paper he's as good as any team's prospect there, like a Moustakas, etc. This guy has the credentials to be a big leaguer.

Who's our closer now?

Are you some secret millionaire? Otherwise how the hell do you have enough coin to purchase mlb.com? I'd have to imagine that site is worth millions.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa