Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
So it looks like one of De Aza and Viciedo are likely to go and then Gillaspie and Keppinger? With L. Garcia or Elmore being the backup?

Yeah, Viciedo isnt going before De Aza. It would take a monstrous trade package for them to deal him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
The problem with Viciedo is we don't know what the coaching staff says about him behind the scenes. They could think he just had a bad year and the injuries made it worse...or they could be calling him "uncoachable". If the staff doesn't think they can salvage him, this staff will still be here this year, so it would make more sense to get whatever you can for him now and let someone else take a shot at him.

I agree with your points, he still put up a decent average last year, its just that his walk rate was low, terrible defense and not much discipline at the plate. Before last year, he was hitting real well.

If he can hit 260-270 with 25-30 home runs the next few seasons, I'd gladly take him in LF and possibly move to DH. He has a cannon for an arm and is mostly accurate with his throws, he just needs to get better reads on balls in the air.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
I'd guess De Aza, Gillaspie, and Keppinger are all gone at the very minimum. I think Dunn, Beckham, and Ramirez are probably being shopped at the moment too.

If just the first 3 are moved (and depending on who is brought back), I think you see a bench of Nieto, Elmore, Danks, and Konerko. If you move Dunn, you could see another bat being added or perhaps Gillaspie remains on the team. If Beckham is moved, I see Semien making the roster. If Ramirez is moved, I see a competition between Garcia and Semien for the SS spot.

I am legitimately excited for the team at this point.

I don't think they make Semien compete for the job. When he's ready, it's his job. I like empowering young players and letting them play without looking behind their back. Kids press too much and fail in that scenario.

I'm still very intrigued by L. Garcia. He's a dynamic player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 1m

Several #MLB executives say they wouldn't be surprised to see #Dbacks spin off Addison Reed in future trade for top tier starter

That's just stupid. Unless Reed is packaged with three other pieces.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
Yeah, Viciedo isnt going before De Aza. It would take a monstrous trade package for them to deal him.

As I expect, you just don't deal a 24 year old power hitter after one bad year. He has the tools, just needs to figure it out.

Interesting. I'm glad they're looking at it that way. We should be able to get something nice and shiny for ADA anyway.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
Interesting. I'm glad they're looking at it that way. We should be able to get something nice and shiny for ADA anyway.

Now that they clearly need to fill in the pen a bit they have pieces to deal for that. I was surprised they dealt Reed, but not once I saw what they got.

Thanks Rock, good to hear. Love me some Tank, especially as a part of the Sox Core. I'm really excited for this teams future, amazing what a few months of Rick Hahn magic does. And he's probably not done:

From Merkin, quoting The Coop:

White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper not talking about closer on Dec. 17. One reason: "I don't think Rick is done."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
Now that they clearly need to fill in the pen a bit they have pieces to deal for that. I was surprised they dealt Reed, but not once I saw what they got.

I'm happy with the righties in the pen as it is right now. I could see them adding another if they're willing to confine 2 of Rienzo, Webb, and Petricka to AAA no matter what. I could also see someone brought in on ST invites as competition there.

An additional lefty would make sense.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
Towers is in a win now/still cost conscious mode and when he got Trumbo he needed to move Davidson. Obviously he and Hahn had good discussions and in the end the trade goes;

Reed, Santiago, Jacobs for Davidson and Eaton

which make Towers sitting on his hands at the trading deadline puzzling. He didn't have to move Davidson btw...

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
Thanks Rock, good to hear. Love me some Tank, especially as a part of the Sox Core. I'm really excited for this teams future, amazing what a few months of Rick Hahn magic does. And he's probably not done:

From Merkin, quoting The Coop:

White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper not talking about closer on Dec. 17. One reason: "I don't think Rick is done."

But what does he think about it today?

I love the deal. If his glove can be adequate and he puts up numbers similar to what Joe Crede had with the bat, the deal is an absolute steal. Closers are made every week in MLB it seems, they can fix the closer, there was no fix for 3B.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)

B level prospect not very close to the majors shiny enough for you? I'm not trying to completely crap on De Aza, but he's pretty darn mediocre once you figure out that he can't be an everyday CF. You're left with a LF who's most likely going to hit somewhere between his '12 and '13 #'s which amounts to somewhere around .275/.335/.405 with 12 HR's and 20 steals. Not a bad player by any means. but I can't see the market for his services being very hot

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
B level prospect not very close to the majors shiny enough for you? I'm not trying to completely crap on De Aza, but he's pretty darn mediocre once you figure out that he can't be an everyday CF. You're left with a LF who's most likely going to hit somewhere between his '12 and '13 #'s which amounts to somewhere around .275/.335/.405 with 12 HR's and 20 steals. Not a bad player by any means. but I can't see the market for his services being very hot

ADA would be a guy that it would make a lot of sense for the Sox to grab someone talented and in A-ball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
The problem with Viciedo is we don't know what the coaching staff says about him behind the scenes. They could think he just had a bad year and the injuries made it worse...or they could be calling him "uncoachable". If the staff doesn't think they can salvage him, this staff will still be here this year, so it would make more sense to get whatever you can for him now and let someone else take a shot at him.

I use the Hawk barometer. If he starts hinting bad things about someone, the Sox think he is uncoachable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
ADA would be a guy that it would make a lot of sense for the Sox to grab someone talented and in A-ball.

Yeah definitely. A raw, yet toolsy, under 21 year old you hope puts it together in the next 3 years. A Trayce Thompson type prospect for example would make a lot of sense