2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
So a comedic film would cause them to all of a sudden bomb movie theaters in the US? THATS what puts them over the edge? I dont buy it. Hackers that can crack a horribly flawed security system and then download from an outdated exchange server doesnt scare me.

They were pretty crazy when Team America came out too. Apparently sarcasm doesn't work so well in NK

Believe what you want, I haven't seen any reaction like this due to any hacker break.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
They were pretty crazy when Team America came out too. Apparently sarcasm doesn't work so well in NK

Believe what you want, I haven't seen any reaction like this due to any hacker break.

Its just a tremendous jump from downloading some emails to murdering innocent people over a movie.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
Its just a tremendous jump from downloading some emails to murdering innocent people over a movie.

It is, but they have been demanding apologies and telling Sony to cancel the movie since the breach happened. They took the terrorist route when they believed they weren't being taken seriously.

Could they/would they actually follow through? I doubt it, but Sony believes they have to take it seriously

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
It is, but they have been demanding apologies and telling Sony to cancel the movie since the breach happened. They took the terrorist route when they believed they weren't being taken seriously.

Could they/would they actually follow through? I doubt it, but Sony believes they have to take it seriously

I just reread this thread, and don't forget the threats N.K. made back in June when the trailer came out.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
I wouldn't exactly compare appeasing Hitler to not distributing a movie but this does seem pretty silly.

When Hitler took over the Rhineland it wasn't a big deal, no need to react. All that did was embolden him to keep going. That's what the movie theaters/Sony are doing here. They just gave these guys more of a reason to hack US companies.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 05:12 PM)
Billions of dollars worth of stolen credit cards is not enough.

Realistically a lot of those data breaches are worthless. If you're some Russian terrorist with SS numbers and names there's not a LOT you can get away with before you're cut off. It's not like you're taking out a loan with that information. Most CC companies these days are getting smarter about auto-fraud protection too.

Yes, there might be money there, but something more like the CyrptoLocker virus, with an actual income stream, is more lucrative than stealing info. And now, stealing embarrassing information just got a big reaction and cost a studio tens of millions.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)

I think Sony is "taking it seriously" because of possible public outcry, but I dont buy the ability to have a 9/11 type terrorist attack over a movie

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
Realistically a lot of those data breaches are worthless. If you're some Russian terrorist with SS numbers and names there's not a LOT you can get away with before you're cut off. It's not like you're taking out a loan with that information. Most CC companies these days are getting smarter about auto-fraud protection too.

Yes, there might be money there, but something more like the CyrptoLocker virus, with an actual income stream, is more lucrative than stealing info. And now, stealing embarrassing information just got a big reaction and cost a studio tens of millions.

Almost every bank and CC company has intelligence built around identifying and preventing these type of breaches to lead to anything of substance. Especially if its used in a know IP range in NK or Russia or if they tried to use your card after you just used yours an hour before in chicago.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
I think selling it to Netflix and Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus would be the right move for them at this point.

Um, no. When this movie gets released, it's going to make big money like Rogen's other comedies.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
I wish I could really talk to you guys about my employer and fraud, but all I can say is you guys are very misinformed

why cant you talk about fraud though?

I just had to cancel my debit card yesterday after seeing a $91 Redbox charge hit my card on Monday. Never used Redbox before.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
why cant you talk about fraud though?

I just had to cancel my debit card yesterday after seeing a $91 Redbox charge hit my card on Monday. Never used Redbox before.

Let's just say my employer is very good about protecting their strategies. I would like to point out the inaccuracies and why they are inaccurate, but it's hard to do that without inviting more questions that would lead to me having to say something that I shouldnt.

redbox is a big one, easy place for people to test out counterfeit cards without being face to face with a merchant. Sorry you had to close your card, I'm sure your bank has your back though.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 09:39 PM)
Let's just say my employer is very good about protecting their strategies. I would like to point out the inaccuracies and why they are inaccurate, but it's hard to do that without inviting more questions that would lead to me having to say something that I shouldnt.

redbox is a big one, easy place for people to test out counterfeit cards without being face to face with a merchant. Sorry you had to close your card, I'm sure your bank has your back though.

yeah, the bank put the money back. what sucks the most is how I'll have to go and change the info for all my auto-bill payments. Kinda funny how every time I make a purchase that my bank finds "unusual", they freeze my card and call me right away to question it. But the time a my card is used for $90 worth of $1 DVD rentals, nothing is flagged.

I called Redbox and they didnt even have me on record in their system.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 09:02 PM)
yeah, the bank put the money back. what sucks the most is how I'll have to go and change the info for all my auto-bill payments. Kinda funny how every time I make a purchase that my bank finds "unusual", they freeze my card and call me right away to question it. But the time a my card is used for $90 worth of $1 DVD rentals, nothing is flagged.

I called Redbox and they didnt even have me on record in their system.

Flagging fraud is very imperfect and relies on a lot of different factors. Seems easy enough, but a lot of different things come into play. And you know what? We get yelled at when we are wrong for stopping valid transactions, we get yelled at for stopping a card for not stopping it quick enough, and we get yelled at after the fact because people have to change their auto billing (wink wink).

I've had this happen over and over and over again with credit cards when living/traveling overseas.

It's pretty much automatic anytime you charge over $500 or usually $1000 from another country that your account will get frozen temporarily for fraud...then there's the inconvenience of having to call the US and be waiting and waiting for a customer service rep.

In China, unless you put a $300 deposit on your phone, you can't make international calls...and I never did it because I thought it would be a total pain in the ass to get the deposit back.

The worst part is when I go travelling and call the card companies ahead of time (India and Kenya/Tanzania/Ethiopia in 2013) and even if they have a note about your exact travel schedule, those transactions still get flagged and the account temporarily frozen.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
When Hitler took over the Rhineland it wasn't a big deal, no need to react. All that did was embolden him to keep going. That's what the movie theaters/Sony are doing here. They just gave these guys more of a reason to hack US companies.

Yeah taking territory from other governments isn't exactly that same as a movie company delaying or canceling a release, that's my point.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/17/the-...w-prestige-pic/

Would this be happening if The Interview was a "prestige pic" like Hotel Rwanda or The Killing Fields?

Apparently the influence of shopping malls that are connected to or close to movie theatres is winning the economic argument. We are letting the terrorists win!!!

Edited by caulfield12