2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
Someone spoil it for me

Turns out the mother died and Ted told this story 6 years later to convince his kids it would be ok if he went after Robin after all since she divorced Barney.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 08:38 PM)

Turns out the mother died and Ted told this story 6 years later to convince his kids it would be ok if he went after Robin after all since she divorced Barney.

Not true he realized during the telling of the story that he should go after Robin and the kids realized it too with how much the story revolved around her

I think the ending was too shocking and considered a cop out for people to like it right away. Remember though the final scene was shot in 2006 and it's clear that's the ending teds story should have ended with.

I think in time the ending will grow on people.

The kids said it

The story was never about the mom it was about Robin

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)

Not true he realized during the telling of the story that he should go after Robin and the kids realized it too with how much the story revolved around her

Don't really care. It was cheap either way.

I thought the ending for HIMYM was ok....not great but nowhere near as bad as some think.

My question to the haters here is what could they have done that would have made you say "That was a good ending" cause to be honest there are a few here that I don't think would have been satisfied no matter what the ending.

I throw my 2 worthless cents in for the HIMYM finale. I say worthless because I don't watch the show, but I've seen enough to know the characters and their basic traits.

I liked the ending. I thought it was a little cold to kill the mother off so quickly, but at least it was not something they showed, or harped on too long. The kids just casually said that "She's been gone for 6 years now", and it wasn't as morbid.

One thing I was guessing may happen was that the twist at the end would bet that the birth mom would die when the kids were very young, and then Robin would really be their mother figure as the kids grew up, so that way the "How I Met Your Mother" meant birth mom in the literal sense, and/or their accepted mom in the nurture sense. The only problem with that is that the kids would have picked up by now that Robin (which would be a fake name Ted used in his story) and their mother figure would have the same background story and the kids would have put 2 and 2 together.

Another thing I was expecting to see was Bob Saget in some capacity at the end. Either him narrating the final scene, or him having a cameo at the end.

This whole season was a wash because we spent 9 years waiting for these two to meet, although I enjoyed everything else about the show but that for the most part, than in one scene she is in a hospital bed for 5 secs and a few minutes later we were told she died 6 years ago. Just a throw away.

Than we spend all weekend on wedding weekend, watching Robin and Barney get over their fears and they get married, only to get divorced in the first few scenes. Wasted.

I had no problem with the flash forwarding episode. Make the reason he told his kids the story was because the mom died and theyre reminiscing. It was just cheap to me.

If you enjoyed it, congrats.

I'm going to go watch the Scrube finale to wash the taste out of my mouth...Not Season 9!

QUOTE (juddling @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:22 PM)
I thought the ending for HIMYM was ok....not great but nowhere near as bad as some think.

My question to the haters here is what could they have done that would have made you say "That was a good ending" cause to be honest there are a few here that I don't think would have been satisfied no matter what the ending.

How about not killing off the mother for Robin? The first meeting at the train station was great and they kept showing them so happy together, then BAM, she gone, here's Robin again. That after two seasons of Robin and Barney falling in love, then divorcing 15 minutes after the wedding ended.

They had an ending in mind when the show started, and no matter how far the show diverted off course, they refused to budge on the original ending IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 05:10 AM)
How about not killing off the mother for Robin? The first meeting at the train station was great and they kept showing them so happy together, then BAM, she gone, here's Robin again. That after two seasons of Robin and Barney falling in love, then divorcing 15 minutes after the wedding ended.

They had an ending in mind when the show started, and no matter how far the show diverted off course, they refused to budge on the original ending IMO.

How could a show divert if you already have an ending? I don't get it.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 06:49 AM)
Put me on the hated it list. That ended totally destroyed everything Ted was all about, and turned him into an awful cliche.

Wait. Wasn't Ted always a cliche? What else was he about?

QUOTE (juddling @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 12:22 AM)

Four off the top of my head:

(1) They could have ignored the whole gimmick of the show - meeting the mother - years ago.

(2) They could have introduced the mother and incorporated her into the cast

(3) They could have introduced the mother last year, and then spent this year explaining how their marriage didn't work (like every other Ted relationship), and then made the whole Robin/Ted thing work

(4) They could have just ended it with him and the mother being happy

I 100% agree with Sepinwall's review. I see why they felt like they were stuck writing this story, but they didn't have to. And what fans got last night was not a good way to end it. I mean come on guys, that was a TERRIBLE way to end it. First, they basically s*** on the last 3-4 seasons of the Robin/Barney storyline. Especially the final season. Talk about a waste. We're going to spend all season on this will they, won't they stuff, and then we'll change the story within the first ten minutes of the finale. Dumb. And Barney just goes back to his old ways, which I get makes more sense and is more realistic, but again that just shows you how much waste and filler they had the last few seasons trying to tell us that he changed. And it wasn't some gradual change back to the way he was, it was done in 30 second flash forwards.

Second, again, the mother situation. I wouldn't call it morbid, but you devote 9 seasons promising your audience that you're going to reveal the mother and making her this huge deal. And then she just dies. And the story ends up being more about Robin and Ted? Yuck. What should have been a great build up to Ted finally finding the mother ends up being, yeah the mother wasn't all that important, she was great, but she died. Hey i'm going to go back to Robin, cool?

That show was great for about 4 seasons, ok for 2, and truly awful the last 3 (with a good episode here and there).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 05:14 AM)
Thought this was a spot on review of the HIMYM finale

http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/se...y-conned-us-all

Agreed.

I actually liked it, but I haven't watched the show for a couple years, so I wasn't on board for Robin and Barney. I can see how people who were thought it was cheap, in a Dallas-like "that season didn't happen/matter" way.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
How could a show divert if you already have an ending? I don't get it.

Even if you didn't want to divert the ending, the way they got rid of the mother, you know what everyone had been waiting for, for almost a decade, was terrible.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
Even if you didn't want to divert the ending, the way they got rid of the mother, you know what everyone had been waiting for, for almost a decade, was terrible.

I know it was the title of the show, but the mother plot was a fraction of what was going on for years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
I know it was the title of the show, but the mother plot was a fraction of what was going on for years.

The Mother plot was a major part of the show this season though.

Some parts of the finale worked for me. The end absolutely did not. Part of that, to me, is because the timeline on the show isn't the timeline that we get while watching the show. They tell us 6 years passed between the Mother dying and the final moments, but we, as viewers, have about 20 seconds to process that fact before Ted is chasing Robin again. Rather than writing three terrible final seasons (Zooey, the Barney-Robin relationship), they could have told the story they told in the finale over the course of the final three seasons. Then it might have worked for me. We could have seen how good the Ted/Mother relationship was. We could have seen the emotional hit of her dying and seen why Ted/Robin made sense again (Robin steps in and is great with the kids, whatever).

Instead, the ending felt rushed and felt way too soon.

Oh and spending the last two seasons on the terrible Robin/Barney relationship, only to blow that up in the first 10 minutes of the finale was just awful.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
The Mother plot was a major part of the show this season though.

Some parts of the finale worked for me. The end absolutely did not. Part of that, to me, is because the timeline on the show isn't the timeline that we get while watching the show. They tell us 6 years passed between the Mother dying and the final moments, but we, as viewers, have about 20 seconds to process that fact before Ted is chasing Robin again. Rather than writing three terrible final seasons (Zooey, the Barney-Robin relationship), they could have told the story they told in the finale over the course of the final three seasons. Then it might have worked for me. We could have seen how good the Ted/Mother relationship was. We could have seen the emotional hit of her dying and seen why Ted/Robin made sense again (Robin steps in and is great with the kids, whatever).

Instead, the ending felt rushed and felt way too soon.

Oh and spending the last two seasons on the terrible Robin/Barney relationship, only to blow that up in the first 10 minutes of the finale was just awful.

Agreed totally.

That timing issue makes the kids' total willingness to see Ted get with Robin a little weird and creepy. And they even mention that the story of how he met their mother didn't involve their mother that much, it was more about Robin. What kid is going to feel that way about their mother, even if it had been 6 years?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
That timing issue makes the kids' total willingness to see Ted get with Robin a little weird and creepy. And they even mention that the story of how he met their mother didn't involve their mother that much, it was more about Robin. What kid is going to feel that way about their mother, even if it had been 6 years?

TV children. This show was never realistic and I think people are processing the finale like its a drama.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
TV children. This show was never realistic and I think people are processing the finale like its a drama.

Realistic or not, the show had themes and motivations that ended up meaning dick in the end.