2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
I started watching The Curse of Oak Island and it's really well done. That stuff has always fascinated me to begin with and I wrote a paper on pre-Columbian trans-Atlantic voyages in college so this was a no brainer for me to watch.

But the show after that I mistakenly watched for a couple minutes because I meant to get to bed but couldn't stop watching. Appalachian Outlaws. It was surprisingly highly enjoyable and I can't wait for the next episode.

I remember reading the same Readers Digest article the one brother read about the island and it always fascinated me as well. I caught a ad for the show a few weeks ago but I was assuming it was going to be a documentary on the island, history, etc. not so much a reality show.

I agree that the announcer is beyond annoying as he tries to make every small thing sound like it could be a huge breakthrough. I have it set on the DVR just in case i miss it but then again...there isn't much on at 9pm sunday nights.

**sidenote.....I DO believe that something of some value is buried there. will be interesting to see what if anything is down there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
I finished the second episode last night. Honestly it is pretty boring and I am sick of the ominous narrator voice constantly being dubbed over with "IF THIS PROVES TO BE TRUE..." statements, when most of them don't pan out. Glad to see the coconut fibers were dated between 1290 and 1450, otherwise I might not have tuned in again. It is a cool legend and all, but in two hours (god knows how much real life time) they hadn't really found anything of substance, and I was losing interest.

Well that's going to happen since they probably could have done this in a 2-hour documentary but are trying to push a whole show out of it.

QUOTE (juddling @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 12:43 AM)
I remember reading the same Readers Digest article the one brother read about the island and it always fascinated me as well. I caught a ad for the show a few weeks ago but I was assuming it was going to be a documentary on the island, history, etc. not so much a reality show.

I agree that the announcer is beyond annoying as he tries to make every small thing sound like it could be a huge breakthrough. I have it set on the DVR just in case i miss it but then again...there isn't much on at 9pm sunday nights.

**sidenote.....I DO believe that something of some value is buried there. will be interesting to see what if anything is down there.

I've read a few works on the money pit as part of research for papers in college and I am pretty convinced that something is or was down there. There's no question in my mind that it is man made

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
Justified was kickass last night.

Agreed. Amy Smart never did much for me. Hope she doesn't screw it up.

I liked True Detectives as well. Woody and Matthew together was better than the case so far. Hope it stays good.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)

I liked True Detectives as well. Woody and Matthew together was better than the case so far. Hope it stays good.

Her character was terrible in Shameless. What a short, weird storyline. Even for that show

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
Her character was terrible in Shameless. What a short, weird storyline. Even for that show

Yeah, never really even found her attractive either. Fingers crossed.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)

Give me some Tasty Coma Wife anytime. She is a heck of an actress. I mean, she had me believe she actually enjoyed sleeping with Zach Braff for pete's sake.....now THAT's acting......lol

QUOTE (juddling @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:17 PM)
Saw an interview with 'Dewey Crowe' from Justified. Didn't know the actor was Australian so when I heard that accent I was astonished. Hearing that accent out of him was weird.....

I felt the same way when I heard Hugh Laurie for the first time. No idea he was English for years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
I felt the same way when I heard Hugh Laurie for the first time. No idea he was English for years.

Also with Rick(andrew lincoln) from Walking Dead. My wife pointed it out because she likes the movie "Love Actually". I cant detect the slightest bit of english accent when I watch Walking Dead.

Its kind of funny how english actors are able to suppress their accents, but a large portion of american actors cannot fake the english accent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
Nothing tops Kevin Costner trying to hit a Kennedy accent for horribleness.

How about Kevin Costner in Robin Hood? Midway through the movie he is like "f*** it, im not doing this pretend accent anymore"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
Also with Rick(andrew lincoln) from Walking Dead. My wife pointed it out because she likes the movie "Love Actually". I cant detect the slightest bit of english accent when I watch Walking Dead.

Its kind of funny how english actors are able to suppress their accents, but a large portion of american actors cannot fake the english accent.

Because he hides it behind a terrible southern accent.

I was pretty floored when I learned that Stringer (Idris Elba) was English.

FWIW.....

Carter Bays and Craig Thomas — the creators of HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER — have revealed for the very first time how they planned to wrap up the show’s ongoing mystery if it had been cancelled after just one season.

“I don’t know if we ever consciously said this out loud, but we both kind of agreed, like, Ted meeting Victoria (Ashley Williams) happened at the end of Episode 12…” Carter recalled during a media set visit Wednesday night (01-15-13).

“I think there was a feeling of ‘God forbid the show just gets yanked… It would have been Victoria.’”

The character ended up appearing in just 16 episodes, while HIMYM went on to run for nine seasons.

“Cut to somewhere Ashley Williams reading this, [thinking], ‘Motherf–ker — that would have been awesome!’” Thomas joked.

QUOTE (juddling @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 06:25 AM)
FWIW.....

Carter Bays and Craig Thomas — the creators of HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER — have revealed for the very first time how they planned to wrap up the show’s ongoing mystery if it had been cancelled after just one season.

“I don’t know if we ever consciously said this out loud, but we both kind of agreed, like, Ted meeting Victoria (Ashley Williams) happened at the end of Episode 12…” Carter recalled during a media set visit Wednesday night (01-15-13).

“I think there was a feeling of ‘God forbid the show just gets yanked… It would have been Victoria.’”

The character ended up appearing in just 16 episodes, while HIMYM went on to run for nine seasons.

“Cut to somewhere Ashley Williams reading this, [thinking], ‘Motherf–ker — that would have been awesome!’” Thomas joked.

I would have been OK with that.