2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
I started watching The Curse of Oak Island and it's really well done. That stuff has always fascinated me to begin with and I wrote a paper on pre-Columbian trans-Atlantic voyages in college so this was a no brainer for me to watch.

But the show after that I mistakenly watched for a couple minutes because I meant to get to bed but couldn't stop watching. Appalachian Outlaws. It was surprisingly highly enjoyable and I can't wait for the next episode.

I watched the first one last week out of curiosity and having read about the legends before. I'm going to give it a few weeks and see what happens.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regarding Shameless,

I have a feeling that V's mom isnt pregnant, and she is ripping them off. I have a feeling she is going to blackmail kev because he was hooking up with her outside of the normal scheduled "sessions".

True Detective was pretty interesting. I like the format of how it takes place in near-present day, but all the stories seem to be flashbacks to the past. Keeps it all a mystery, outside of the characters obviously surviving each story. It wasn't a terribly exciting pilot, but it planted some seeds. I'll keep watching.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
True Detective was pretty interesting. I like the format of how it takes place in near-present day, but all the stories seem to be flashbacks to the past. Keeps it all a mystery, outside of the characters obviously surviving each story. It wasn't a terribly exciting pilot, but it planted some seeds. I'll keep watching.

News Alert: Joe will watch a TV show. ;)

You watch EVERYTHING.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)

I just dont know if this gonna work. If it is "how Jim Gordon became the man he was", then it kind of comes off as a police drama. It isnt like we dont have enough of those.

Plus, its on Fox. You know they will f*** it up. And if they dont f*** it up, they will can it after 6 episodes

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)

Apparently, there's only 8 eps. So should be interesting. The pilot wasn't bad.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
I just dont know if this gonna work. If it is "how Jim Gordon became the man he was", then it kind of comes off as a police drama. It isnt like we dont have enough of those.

Plus, its on Fox. You know they will f*** it up. And if they dont f*** it up, they will can it after 6 episodes

Apparently it's Smallville for Batman. It'll follow Bruce from when he's very young until right before he becomes Batman. It'll also have tons of villains as they develop.

I started watching The Curse of Oak Island and it's really well done. That stuff has always fascinated me to begin with and I wrote a paper on pre-Columbian trans-Atlantic voyages in college so this was a no brainer for me to watch.

But the show after that I mistakenly watched for a couple minutes because I meant to get to bed but couldn't stop watching. Appalachian Outlaws. It was surprisingly highly enjoyable and I can't wait for the next episode.

It finally hit me while watching this on the DVR. The oldest brother is Tommy Chong.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
Cute idea. Bad timing. Why the hell would we have an unrelated throwaway episode so close to the end of the show? Awful.

You are right, but I've long ago accepted that this season will be full of time-wasting fluff as they try to stretch 6 episodes worth of plot into a full season. That being said, I laughed several times yesterday, and that hasn't happened very often watching recent episodes.

Man, Matthew McConaughey's character in True Detective is really strange, even for him. I really like the start of that show.

Also, you can really see his weight loss from Dallas Buyers Club, his face is really thin

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
Justified Officially Ending With Season 6

Sucks cause it's a great show, but it's nice to see a show not stick around too long.

I greatly prefer this to them running out of ideas and ruining it. All great shows must come to an end. It should be rather epic and I fully expect the final season to leave only one of Raylan or Boyd left standing.

I finished the second episode last night. Honestly it is pretty boring and I am sick of the ominous narrator voice constantly being dubbed over with "IF THIS PROVES TO BE TRUE..." statements, when most of them don't pan out. Glad to see the coconut fibers were dated between 1290 and 1450, otherwise I might not have tuned in again. It is a cool legend and all, but in two hours (god knows how much real life time) they hadn't really found anything of substance, and I was losing interest.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
I think True Detective is going to be very good. I really like the tone. Matthew McConaughey has become a tremendous actor.

He always has been, but he was also always one of those guys who took the paycheck over the quality of the movie (like a Brendan Fraser or even Christopher Walken). Although Walken claims that any movie is just an opportunity to hone his craft.