It's cold outside

Rowand44

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
My wife and I talked about moving to Hawaii after our honeymoon. It's always been dream talk, like "yeah that'd be nice." This winter and the extended commutes have accelerated the talking to actually looking for jobs online. It'd be tough to leave, but I'd go in a heartbeat.

I think I'd get bored of Hawaii after a while. You'd also barely see friend and family, so I don't know how easy that would be. It's like starting an entirely new life.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 07:00 PM)
NBC had 2 forecast models going. Biggest difference was Rockford. One said .8 inches, the other said 8.8. Little bit of a difference.

I think we ended up with .2 inches.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
If you weren't alive to remember 77/78/79 this is true.

I heard that this is the third snowiest winter on record.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
graduates from middle school

This phrase is a pet peeve of mine.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
I think I'd get bored of Hawaii after a while. You'd also barely see friend and family, so I don't know how easy that would be. It's like starting an entirely new life.

I'd always been telling my wife, after the kids are out of the house (youngest is about 2, so we've got a while, LOL), I really want to move somewhere warmer, sunnier, and with more outdoor opportunities. New Mexico, Oregon, Colorado all in the running, maybe even Texas hill country (though maybe not a great cultural fit for us) or Arizona.

She was not so apt to go along with that... until this winter. Now she's on board.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)

Friends and family are a concern, especially since my in-laws only have my wife so I'd be taking their daughter and grandson away.

But still, it's a new life in paradise. It's being able to go outside nearly 365 days a year. No more snow. No more ice. No more freezing your balls off. And it's never too hot or humid either. It's just perfect weather.

Chicago is literally the worst place in the country weather wise. Yes, other places get colder, but they don't suffer from 100 degree heat with 90% humidity. We get the absolute worst of both extremes nearly every year. We get probably 2 months of good weather a year. F that. I'm over it.

Winter weather history: 21 years ago today, a massive winter storm hit the entire eastern third of the country. I was on my way back to South Bend from Spring Break in Florida. We hit heavy wind and snow just north of Atlanta. Near Chattanooga, the driver's side windshield wiper snapped off--not just the blade but the entire arm. We found a service station that switched the still-functional passenger side wiper over to the driver's side. We left Chattanooga less than an hour before police shut down the interstates going in and out of Chattanooga.

We drove through a blizzard, on a curvy and hilly interstate, with one windshield wiper. Possibly the dumbest thing I've ever done.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
Winter weather history: 21 years ago today, a massive winter storm hit the entire eastern third of the country. I was on my way back to South Bend from Spring Break in Florida. We hit heavy wind and snow just north of Atlanta. Near Chattanooga, the driver's side windshield wiper snapped off--not just the blade but the entire arm. We found a service station that switched the still-functional passenger side wiper over to the driver's side. We left Chattanooga less than an hour before police shut down the interstates going in and out of Chattanooga.

We drove through a blizzard, on a curvy and hilly interstate, with one windshield wiper. Possibly the dumbest thing I've ever done.

For those from the Region, a few days ago was also the anniversary of the Blizzard of 98, when we got about three feet of mostly surprise lake effect snow. People spent days parked out on places like I-94 after being caught in it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
Each shovel was supposed to be upwards of 15-20lbs. If do your driveway you can lift over 3,000 lbs. Pretty good cardio this morning.

My thoughts exactly. I skipped the gym and went to work. It was hard and fun.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
I'd always been telling my wife, after the kids are out of the house (youngest is about 2, so we've got a while, LOL), I really want to move somewhere warmer, sunnier, and with more outdoor opportunities. New Mexico, Oregon, Colorado all in the running, maybe even Texas hill country (though maybe not a great cultural fit for us) or Arizona.

She was not so apt to go along with that... until this winter. Now she's on board.

yes, please

Hard because aside from a few cousins/second cousins here and there, all of our relatives are clustered in and around Chicago and mostly in the SW-W suburbs.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
yes, please

Hard because aside from a few cousins/second cousins here and there, all of our relatives are clustered in and around Chicago and mostly in the SW-W suburbs.

That's a major reason for not moving now, for us as well. Not just that we have careers and need to educate our kids in good schools, but both our sets of parents are in the Chicago area, along with other relatives, so leaving would be really hard for all involved.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
That's a major reason for not moving now, for us as well. Not just that we have careers and need to educate our kids in good schools, but both our sets of parents are in the Chicago area, along with other relatives, so leaving would be really hard for all involved.

Move to Denver. Its 300 days of sun, the city has become very habitable and progressive and the burbs are great. I fully recommend it.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)

I was stuck in Alabama for three days.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
Move to Denver. Its 300 days of sun, the city has become very habitable and progressive and the burbs are great. I fully recommend it.

I've already lived in Denver, many years ago before married life. At that time (mid-late 90's), LoDo and Denver generally were really just starting to flourish.

I think if I'd move out to one of those states, we'd be on some mountain property, just outside of a city like Denver, or Colo Springs, or Portland, or Albuquerque/Santa Fe. Be able to enjoy nature a bit more, but still be a short trip from lots to do. That is my ideal.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
Isn't the cost of living there pretty high now too?

Better than here thats for sure. There is a lot of housing going up downtown that is not overpriced. Some of their burbs can be pricey and Boulder is really expensive.

My buddy lives in Denver and apparently the middle class home market (200-300k) was going crazy recently. Homes for sale a year ago were getting 4-5 offers, all above asking price. Not sure if it's leveled off at all, but he and his wife were pretty pissed about missing out on deals.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
My buddy lives in Denver and apparently the middle class home market (200-300k) was going crazy recently. Homes for sale a year ago were getting 4-5 offers, all above asking price. Not sure if it's leveled off at all, but he and his wife were pretty pissed about missing out on deals.

You can get a nice place along the light rail for that price range at times. It has been a sellers market for awhile though.