7. Davidson - 3B ®

8. Nieto - C (S)

9. Beckham - 2B ®

Bench

Konerko - 1B/DH ®

Danks - OF (L)

Garcia - IF/OF (S)

Flowers - C ®

This would require trading both De Aza and Keppinger, which I think the Sox are going to try and do. With Danks' ability to cover all 3 outfield positions and Garcia's ability to cover all around the infield and outfield if need be, we can get by with having a backup DH and just 4 guys on the bench. Nieto starting might be wishful thinking and maybe a mistake as he isn't even made it to the advanced minor leagues yet, but he honestly can't really be worse than what we had last year.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start of season:

Eaton CF

Ramirez SS

Abreu 1B

Dunn DH

Garcia RF

Viciedo LF

Gillaspie/Kepp 3B

Beckham 2B

Flowers/Nieto C

End of Season

Eaton LF

Semien 2B

Garcia RF

Abreu 1B

Viciedo DH

Davidson 3B

Thompson CF

Ramirez SS

???? C

That is hoping development / markets go as planned, which is hoping for a lot. Catcher is a total wildcard at this point and there is no clear direction yet.

Elmore could possibly make the team to platoon at third with Gillaspie if Keppinger is moved. He has experience all over the diamond and was even an emergency catcher one game last year which could be key considering whoever sits in a game out of the Konerko/Dunn platoon will probably pinch hit for the catcher in the late innings of a game and if anything happened to the backup catcher in there 1-2 innings of having to catch, he could step in.

Then assuming Davidson starts the year in AAA, he plays third, Sanchez plays short, and Semien plays second with Garcia getting at bats around the infield and outfield. All these guys can get extra at bats in the DH spot as well.

Edited by chisoxfan310

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
Elmore could possibly make the team to platoon at third with Gillaspie if Keppinger is moved. He has experience all over the diamond and was even an emergency catcher one game last year which could be key considering whoever sits in a game out of the Konerko/Dunn platoon will probably pinch hit for the catcher in the late innings of a game and if anything happened to the backup catcher in there 1-2 innings of having to catch, he could step in.

Then assuming Davidson starts the year in AAA, he plays third, Sanchez plays short, and Semien plays second with Garcia getting at bats around the infield and outfield. All these guys can get extra at bats in the DH spot as well.

What the hell is with people's obsessions with Jake Elmore? I don't get it. The guy is not a Major League caliber player. I'd say the odds of Elmore getting a roster spot over Davidson or Garcia are slim to none.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
What the hell is with people's obsessions with Jake Elmore? I don't get it. The guy is not a Major League caliber player. I'd say the odds of Elmore getting a roster spot over Davidson or Garcia are slim to none.

I was just saying he would give them more versatility on our bench which is something we lack with Konerko coming back. And this is of course assuming Davidson doesn't make the team meaning Gillaspie/Keppinger are still apart of the logjam.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 01:23 AM)
Anyone not putting Dunn in the lineup is absolutely insane. The ONLY hope we have of dumping him at the deadline for a prospect or two is if he is playing everyday and knocking out 25 HR by the deadline.

Remember though that you are at This board, where people somehow completely forget Adam Dunn hits homers, and that homers are worth Runs & that Runs win games.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)

He was put on waivers and then let go by the Houston Astros. I don't think people grasp that the worst team in the entire major leagues did not want this guy on their roster.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
And this is of course assuming Davidson doesn't make the team meaning Gillaspie/Keppinger are still apart of the logjam.

I highly doubt he does, unless he tears the cover off the ball in ST. Kid is still a bit raw (although the power is very real). He'll be here before the end of the season though. Even Hahn spoke about him likely headed to AAA to start, which I believe is the right move for his development (unless, like I said, he just murders the ball in ST). Let him handle the tougher IL.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
I was just saying he would give them more versatility on our bench which is something we lack with Konerko coming back. And this is of course assuming Davidson doesn't make the team meaning Gillaspie/Keppinger are still apart of the logjam.

I understand that. The thing is though, that Garcia is a far better player when you factor in his speed and defense. He has the versatility to play all over the infield and can play the outfield as well. If a roster spot comes down to those two, it better go to Garcia. Between Garcia and the backup OF (whether it be De Aza or Danks) everything is covered. Wasting a roster spot on Elmore just because he could potentially catch in the maybe one time this year that the Sox have to go to an emergency catcher would be almost be as bad as carrying three 1B on the team. Oh wait.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
I understand that. The thing is though, that Garcia is a far better player when you factor in his speed and defense. He has the versatility to play all over the infield and can play the outfield as well. If a roster spot comes down to those two, it better go to Garcia. Between Garcia and the backup OF (whether it be De Aza or Danks) everything is covered. Wasting a roster spot on Elmore just because he could potentially catch in the maybe one time this year that the Sox have to go to an emergency catcher would be almost be as bad as carrying three 1B on the team. Oh wait.

Yeah, this. It's correct that we're going to need a super-utility guy to make the DH-heavy roster work, but Leury is a way better option for that than Elmore. The only way I can see Elmore making the team over Leury is if the organization wants Leury getting everyday at bats in AAA at the cost of 2014 MLB wins.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
I highly doubt he does, unless he tears the cover off the ball in ST. Kid is still a bit raw (although the power is very real). He'll be here before the end of the season though. Even Hahn spoke about him likely headed to AAA to start, which I believe is the right move for his development (unless, like I said, he just murders the ball in ST). Let him handle the tougher IL.

Ehh, maybe, I wonder. This could just be "cover" for his actual desperation in trading both Kepp and Gillaspie. If the Sox think Davidson is ready, and that call is likely made during ST, Kepp and/or Conor will need to go.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)

It's a good summary of how poor our roster construction is currently that people are considering him as a legit option for the major league roster. Out of anyone who might belong in the major leagues, only he and Leury have experience playing SS, and Leury really should be in AAA getting at bats.

As others have noted, yes, we might just say "hell with it Alexei's going to be healthy for the first 140 games and doesn't need a day off", but IMO that's a risky strategy as well.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Davidson is ready. He's been tearing up the minors and got some MLB experience last year.

I hope so.

Opening Day lineup - not my choice, but what I think we'll see:

1. Eaton

2. Ramirez

3. Abreu

4. Dunn - since we're facing a righty from the Twinks - I worry about him being the protection for Abreu, maybe flip them

5. Garcia

6. Viciedo

7. Unk. Lefty or Switch C - very wishful here

8. Davidson

9. Beckham - would like to see him flipped with Ramirez if he's hitting well, increase trade value from a current level of nuthin' :D

Bench:

Leury - best accommodation of 2 DH crunch as long as he hits a little, Kepp more likely if we're not prepared to eat most of $8.5M owed, Gillaspie likely gone regardless, if Davidson comes North.

DeAza - if not traded, JorDanks, if

Backup/Platoon C - Would like to see Phegley hitting mostly lefties, 40-50 games

PK14

SP:

Sale

Q

EJohnson

Danks - technically the 3, but flipped w/ EJohnson to break up lefties

Paulino - Could see him flipped w/EJohnson - ST determination, may depend on health

Pen (much determined by ST) early prediction:

Jones CL

Lindy - Will battle with Beli for 8th inning role, splitting set-up with Downs

Downs - Will be 8th inning guy, depending on matchups

Belisario

Webb - competition from Petricka?

Veal - loogy - hope there's decent ST competition here

Rienzo - longman/spot starter/5th starter if Paulino not ready

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
Davidson is ready. He's been tearing up the minors and got some MLB experience last year.

Davidson is the one guy we keep hearing qualifiers for when his major league status is talked about. I wonder if they are thinking about waiting to call him up to delay making a decision on someone like Connor, or if they are still trying to trade Kepp, and want a back up plan just in case they can't.

My generic lineup against most righties and lefties

CF - Eaton (L)

SS - Alexei

RF - Garcia

DH - Dunn (L)

1B - Abreu

LF - Viciedo

3B - Davidson

C - Flowers

2B - Beckham

I'm torn over whether I want to flip Dunn and Abreu. The best thing about having Dunn in the middle of this lineup is it takes away the other team's ability to bring in a really tough RH reliever and mow through all those young righties. Another setup I kinda like is Avi batting second w/ Abreu batting third, Dunn fourth, Viciedo, Davidson, Ramirez, Flowers, Beckham.

I'm imagining that we get rid of Keppinger but are unable to trade ADA for the purposes of this conjecture.

Bench:

Konerko - DH, 1B

Gillaspie (L) - 3B, 2B, 1B, LF

ADA (L) - LF, CF, RF

Nieto (S) - C

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
.280/.350/.481/.831 is not tearing up the minors, especially the PCL.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/l...amp;id=3219ab1a

He posted a 117 wRC+, which is league adjusted FWIW. 108 wRC+ in MLB. His wRC+ was right about exactly where guys like Kolten Wong and Chris Owings were

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
Davidson is the one guy we keep hearing qualifiers for when his major league status is talked about. I wonder if they are thinking about waiting to call him up to delay making a decision on someone like Connor, or if they are still trying to trade Kepp, and want a back up plan just in case they can't.

I have to imagine that they're trying to unload Keppinger. He really doesn't have a place on this team. I mean, yea he plays all over the infield, but he has no speed and with a short bench I want guys that can run. With either Konerko or Dunn available every game, we really don't need the bench guys to be pinch hitters either. Basically the way this team is constructed I would much rather have my backup IF be light hitting, fast and great on defense vs solid hitting, slow and average on defense.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
I have to imagine that they're trying to unload Keppinger. He really doesn't have a place on this team. I mean, yea he plays all over the infield, but he has no speed and with a short bench I want guys that can run. With either Konerko or Dunn available every game, we really don't need the bench guys to be pinch hitters either. Basically the way this team is constructed I would much rather have my backup IF be light hitting, fast and great on defense vs solid hitting, slow and average on defense.

All of this. Well said. How much cheapness will be displayed in chasing the $8.5m, for the slightest return? I hope very little.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
He posted a 117 wRC+, which is league adjusted FWIW. 108 wRC+ in MLB. His wRC+ was right about exactly where guys like Kolten Wong and Chris Owings were

A 117 wRC+ isn't tearing up the minors though either. He was good, but to suggest he couldn't use more refinement in the minors is the wrong mindset.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
Another setup I kinda like is Avi batting second w/ Abreu batting third, Dunn fourth, Viciedo, Davidson, Ramirez, Flowers, Beckham.

Unless Beckham or whatever it is that takes the 3b spot can hit like a #2 hitter, this is probably my favorite lineup for this roster right now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
A 117 wRC+ isn't tearing up the minors though either. He was good, but to suggest he couldn't use more refinement in the minors is the wrong mindset.

While I'm not 100% convinced he's ready, I think he showed enough in his cup of coffee in the majors last year to get a shot if he has a good spring. This team really isn't expected to win anything anyways and I think he probably could put as good of numbers as Keppinger or Gillaspie. I wonder if the plan really isn't for him to start in the majors and Hahn is just stating he may go to AAA to not completely diminish the little value that Keppinger and Gillaspie have.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
While I'm not 100% convinced he's ready, I think he showed enough in his cup of coffee in the majors last year to get a shot if he has a good spring. This team really isn't expected to win anything anyways and I think he probably could put as good of numbers as Keppinger or Gillaspie. I wonder if the plan really isn't for him to start in the majors and Hahn is just stating he may go to AAA to not completely diminish the little value that Keppinger and Gillaspie have.

There's probably also an element of making sure Davidson gets himself prepped for the challenge coming into ST on day one as well. But yes, there's still no place for all these guys on the roster together.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem if he is the opening day starter, just that if he starts in the minors, it's not the worst thing in the world.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
There's probably also an element of making sure Davidson gets himself prepped for the challenge coming into ST on day one as well. But yes, there's still no place for all these guys on the roster together.

This is a major part of it.