Batting Order Options

Jose Abreu

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
Wouldn't Garcia hit too many home runs to be a #2 hitter? I have him going 24/77 in the 3/5 holes.

If there is such a thing, perhaps he could do so. But the counterpoints are, he has some speed, him hitting in the #2 slot has him getting extra at-bats on the year, it makes the lineup flow a little better than having 3 righties back to back going 2-4 (Ramirez, Garcia, Abreu), and I personally dislike Alexei in the 2-slot as I think it hurts his approach at the plate, taking away some of his power numbers (which could, btw, help him be a more tradeable asset if he can push those numbers higher again).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
If there is such a thing, perhaps he could do so. But the counterpoints are, he has some speed, him hitting in the #2 slot has him getting extra at-bats on the year, it makes the lineup flow a little better than having 3 righties back to back going 2-4 (Ramirez, Garcia, Abreu), and I personally dislike Alexei in the 2-slot as I think it hurts his approach at the plate, taking away some of his power numbers (which could, btw, help him be a more tradeable asset if he can push those numbers higher again).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
There is no such thing as too many home runs, but 24 homers for Garcia is awfully optimistic.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
PECOTA pegs Garcia to hit 8 homers. Seems a little low.

I did the math. If Avi were to play at the same level he did for 150 games last year, he would've hit: 19 homers.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
I did the math. If Avi were to play at the same level he did for 150 games last year, he would've hit: 19 homers.

I think you need to check your math. No matter how I calculate this, I don't come up with 19.

Sox/Tigers - 7 HRs in 72 games. 150/72*7=14.5

Just Sox - 5 HRs in 42 games. 150/42*5=17.8

By PAs - 7 HRs in 256 PAs. 256/7=36.5 would require 694 PAs (not happening) to hit 19

By ABs - 7 HRs in 244 ABs. 244/7=34.85 would require 662 ABs (not happening) to hit 19

Not a big deal, just curious how you got 19.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
I think you need to check your math. No matter how I calculate this, I don't come up with 19.

By PAs - 7 HRs in 256 PAs. 256/7=36.5 would require 694 PAs (not happening) to hit 19

By ABs - 7 HRs in 244 ABs. 244/7=34.85 would require 662 ABs (not happening) to hit 19

With the Sox, he hit a homer every 33.6 PAs. Over the duration of a season, given 650 PAs, it comes out to 19 homers.

To me, that's still pretty optimistic.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
With the Sox, he hit a homer every 33.6 PAs. Over the duration of a season, given 650 PAs, it comes out to 19 homers.

To me, that's still pretty optimistic.

I used PA's for just Sox.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
Finally someone agrees with me on Alexei and the 2 spot.

I don't see Garcia as a the two hitter. The FO repeatedly refers to him as a middle of the order hitter.

The ideal thing would be for Beckham to hit like .300-ish for the full season because even with the streak of righties that makes the order work a lot better (and the streak of righties is almost unavoidable somewhere).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
The ideal thing would be for Beckham to hit like .300-ish for the full season because even with the streak of righties that makes the order work a lot better (and the streak of righties is almost unavoidable somewhere).

If Beckham developed into what we though he was going to, he would be taylor made for the 2 hole.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
PECOTA pegs Garcia to hit 8 homers. Seems a little low.

The projection systems seem to be all over the board on him. I'm guessing that they all handle his BABIP differently. I think OLIVER is projecting 0.6 fWAR and Steamer is projecting like 3.0 fWAR. I think they're both in the 14-18HR range.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
I see Garcia as being an Alex Rios type guy, which is why I had him in the #3 hole. Offensively he could hit about .280, hit 20 HR, steal 20-30 bags. That's where I feel he is likely to land statistically.

I'd agree, just wondering whether he is best suited to hit there now and whether that's best for this roster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
I'd agree, just wondering whether he is best suited to hit there now and whether that's best for this roster.

He doesn't have the profile to hit 3rd yet. He should be around the 7th spot in a typical lineup, but for the lineup I constructed, I was trying to get him as many PA as I could while getting him to get used to that future role.

Does anyone have the numbers on typically how many extra PA you get from batting in one spot in the lineup versus another spot? I would guess the different from the 3rd hole to the 7th hole would be around 40-50 PA?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
He doesn't have the profile to hit 3rd yet. He should be around the 7th spot in a typical lineup, but for the lineup I constructed, I was trying to get him as many PA as I could while getting him to get used to that future role.

Does anyone have the numbers on typically how many extra PA you get from batting in one spot in the lineup versus another spot? I would guess the different from the 3rd hole to the 7th hole would be around 40-50 PA?

Over the course of a season, a guy will typically get 19 more plate appearances than the person he hits in front of.

I'd rather have Ramirez in the bottom of the line up in hopes that he starts turning on more balls. I remember Robin saying that they were asking him to last year, but he was too focused on trying to be a 2 hitter. If he can show more of that old power, his trade value goes up greatly at the deadline.

Edited by TaylorStSox

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)
As things stand, best 2015 lineup:

CF Eaton

2B Semien

RF Garcia

1B Abreu

DH Viciedo

3B Davidson

C Nieto

SS Leury

LF Johnson (really pushing it here)

Not a lot of power there though. And if Beckham FINALLY comes though (how long have we been saying this?) then things change considerably. And man would Castro look GREAT in there somewhere.

There's a lot of outs in that lineup! Obviously, young guys can surprise, but expect growing pains with this lineup

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 03:23 AM)
People are thinking he is going to be on the roster which is pretty likely. He's a back up catcher, if he is on the roster he is going to play.

Thanks, but I'm referring to people who have Nieto in the starting lineup. I can't blame you for being confused. The thread creator asked for starting lineups, but some people have been posting benches, 25 man rosters, etc.