Batting Order Options

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)
Thanks, but I'm referring to people who have Nieto in the starting lineup. I can't blame you for being confused. The thread creator asked for starting lineups, but some people have been posting benches, 25 man rosters, etc.

I was really asking for the batting order only, but I don't mind people posting extra.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)
Thanks, but I'm referring to people who have Nieto in the starting lineup. I can't blame you for being confused. The thread creator asked for starting lineups, but some people have been posting benches, 25 man rosters, etc.

I have Nieto on my starting lineup for a couple reasons.

1) Being a rule-V pick, he has to stay on the roster this season, so I'm going to assume that they will at the very least break camp with him on the 25-man to see what they've got.

2) I don't have him as the backup simply because I feel/hope the Sox realize that Flowers is nothing more than a warm body, so I am hoping Nieto will get a chance to prove he can be the tallest midget.

3) Nieto is a switch hitter, and this lineup is largely devoid of left-handed hitters.

And the reason why I choose Phegley as the odd man out is because he could use some time in AAA to improve his game and I believe he is the only one of the 3 guys that can be safely placed in AAA. (Nieto can't, and Flowers would have to pass through waivers, although he probably would).

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 12:56 AM)

1) Being a rule-V pick, he has to stay on the roster this season, so I'm going to assume that they will at the very least break camp with him on the 25-man to see what they've got.

2) I don't have him as the backup simply because I feel/hope the Sox realize that Flowers is nothing more than a warm body, so I am hoping Nieto will get a chance to prove he can be the tallest midget.

3) Nieto is a switch hitter, and this lineup is largely devoid of left-handed hitters.

And the reason why I choose Phegley as the odd man out is because he could use some time in AAA to improve his game and I believe he is the only one of the 3 guys that can be safely placed in AAA. (Nieto can't, and Flowers would have to pass through waivers, although he probably would).

These are the exact reasons why I have Nieto in my starting lineup. Phengley has options left so its easy to put him back at AAA while we see how a platoon of Flowers and Nieto works out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem if he is the opening day starter, just that if he starts in the minors, it's not the worst thing in the world.

Let's hope the sox org and Buddy Bell has learned about rushing these kids too much. Thank god Jacob May for example figured it out after starting off so brutal in Kanny.

vs RHP

8 Eaton

7 De Aza

9 Garcia

3 Abreu

DH Dunn

6 Ramirez

5 Gillaspie

4 Beckham

2 Phegley

vs LHP

8 Eaton

6 Ramirez

9 Garcia

3 Abreu

DH Konerko

7 Viciedo

4 Beckham

5 Gillaspie

2 Phegley

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 05:56 AM)
Let's hope the sox org and Buddy Bell has learned about rushing these kids too much. Thank god Jacob May for example figured it out after starting off so brutal in Kanny.

I can see how Davidson might benefit from some extra AAA time...but there's no reasonable standard by which he'd be "rushed" if he were on the roster out of ST. Dude's had a full year at every minor league level, including full years at AA and AAA, hasn't clearly been overmatched at any level, had a cup of coffee in September in the big leagues already and wasn't immediately terrible in those first few at bats.

That doesn't mean he's ready, but based on any reasonable standard he's not being "rushed too much" like some of the other guys we bring along.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 06:56 AM)

Has there been a catcher in the history of major league baseball who skipped both Double & Triple A? You're telling me that this guy is ready to handle a major league pitching staff?

You guys may have your reasoning, but you're not seeing the forest.

I'm down with Stan Bahnsen's plan. It's Double A, or back to the Nationals.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
Has there been a catcher in the history of major league baseball who skipped both Double & Triple A? You're telling me that this guy is ready to handle a major league pitching staff?

It depends on what he looks like at the plate. Jesus Flores made the exact same transition between the Mets and Nationals and he didn't completely embarrass himself.

You asked a question that was answered with multiple reasons yet were the ones not seeing the forrest? I can see the forrest just fine and the forrest is called spring training. Let's see what Nieto can before we send him back to where he came from, Phehley and Flowers aren't the stiffest competition out there by any means.

Oh one more thing, any player selected in the rule 5 draft must remain on the 25 man roster for the entire season or be sent back to his former team, AA won't be an option.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
You asked a question that was answered with multiple reasons yet were the ones not seeing the forrest? I can see the forrest just fine and the forrest is called spring training. Let's see what Nieto can before we send him back to where he came from, Phehley and Flowers aren't the stiffest competition out there by any means.

Oh one more thing, any player selected in the rule 5 draft must remain on the 25 man roster for the entire season or be sent back to his former team, AA won't be an option.

I think he's saying that, in the case that we trade for him instead of sending him back, we then put him in AA instead of throwing him onto the 25-man

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
I think he's saying that, in the case that we trade for him instead of sending him back, we then put him in AA instead of throwing him onto the 25-man

OK, that would make sense then. We'll see how he does in ST and go from there.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)

Yep. I mean, he could blow them away in ST, to the point of earning the spot on the 25 man, but that would be surprising to me. And when the other guy is FlowGley, it's not like we'll be able to hide him. He'll have to play a lot - and that might not be the best thing for the team/young pitching staff, or for the kid's development.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

By the time they get to opening day, I hope it's something like this, unless they get another catcher:

1. Eaton - CF

2. Ramirez - SS

3. Abreu - 1B

4. Dunn - DH

5. Garcia - RF

6. Viciedo - LF

7. Davidson - 3B

8. Flowers - C

9. Beckham - 2B

Bench- Konerko 1B/DH, Danks OF, Garcia IF/OF, Nieto C (rooting for Nieto to be good enough to keep)

Move De Aza, Keppinger, and Gillaspie by opening day.

I'm not telling you that, the White Sox are, by taking him in the Rule-V draft. There is no "send him to AA" option right now.

EDIT: Yes, they could trade for him in ST, but I'm basing my moves on the team as currently constructed, not making any assumptions on future trades.

Edited by Chilihead90

I see it done a lot - even by the professional media - so I mean not to call anybody out, but I just so happened to see Joe do it which brought it to mind...

It's actually the Rule 5 draft, not Rule V. Semantics I know, but it's better to be correct than incorrect. The Rule 4 draft is the First Year Player Draft.

I'm also sure it won't be the last time I do this too.