2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
Chicago Bears Nation

The Bears are calling around the league to see if they can find a trade partner for DE Julius Peppers, per sources.

Just due diligence. No one is trading for him.

I think Bennett played it pretty perfectly. Around the Super Bowl, a lot of the chatter was that he'd definitely re-sign. He made it very clear that he'd test the market, but gave his team a fair shot and got a deal he liked at home.

All that "no discounts" stuff turned out to be BS. Interesting. I wonder if Bennett's agent was on "get the highest bid" marching orders and Bears were highest bidder...then Bennett himself decides he want to stay in SEA.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)
Dante Rosario as well, which is odd, they resigned him less than 2 weeks ago. Wonder what changed.

My guess is they are locked in on an upgrade over him at TE and are clearing space and money. Probably nothing exciting, but an upgrade.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 07:08 PM)
Hearing they're chasing Lamarr Houston now. I wonder why they aren't seemingly in pursuit of Michael Johnson.

They're linked to him as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000033...ign=Twitter_atl

Article mentions Vikings, but that was before the Griffen re-signing. I expect Tampa to get one of these guys. Hope Bears get the other.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:38 PM)
Thoughts on a Revis Flyer?

How much you think he'll get now a days? If the Bears strike out on all the top tier DEs I'd rather sign him than a top tier safety.

EDIT- man he's still only 28??? Feel like he was in his 30's.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 03:15 AM)
How much you think he'll get now a days? If the Bears strike out on all the top tier DEs I'd rather sign him than a top tier safety.

EDIT- man he's still only 28??? Feel like he was in his 30's.

Ha, same. I thought he was on last legs and off an injury. He'll get paid. I too would prefer paying for CBs but on the other hand FA big money CBs have bombed horribly.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:38 PM)
Thoughts on a Revis Flyer?

Only if they end up cutting him, and he could be signed to a more reasonable contract. I wouldn't trade for him and take on his $16M salary.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
Only if they end up cutting him, and he could be signed to a more reasonable contract. I wouldn't trade for him and take on his $16M salary.

Bucs are trying to work his contract.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)
Feeling less good to start FA than I felt last year around this time.

That should be expected. IMO the Bears have more positions to fill than last year and less money with which to fill them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
We also seemed to get everyone we targeted last year (and all these mid-level vets were getting next to no money). I don't want to pay big money for the 4th best FA DE.

I kinda like Houston, he doesn't add much to the pass rush, but he still adds an element this team could really use, and that's a guy that can stuff the run.

Gotta get a solid pass rusher on the other side of the line and on the interior. Ideally that would mean something like Melton and Ealy or maybe they bring in a vet like Allen or even re-sign Peppers and paid them with Aaron Donald.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
I kinda like Houston, he doesn't add much to the pass rush, but he still adds an element this team could really use, and that's a guy that can stuff the run.

Gotta get a solid pass rusher on the other side of the line and on the interior. Ideally that would mean something like Melton and Ealy or maybe they bring in a vet like Allen or even re-sign Peppers and paid them with Aaron Donald.

If we let go Peppers I'm guessing there would not be an amicable reunion.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)
If we let go Peppers I'm guessing there would not be an amicable reunion.

Ya, probably not, just hypothetically speaking here....I do like the the idea of adding Melton and going Ealy in the first though, esp. with Aaron Donald gaining steam and possibly not being there

Edited by scs787

i dont believe Peppers can be merely cut and re-signed. I think he has to be either restructured or let go. Otherwise you would think a lot of teams would pull that stunt in order to lower cap hits