2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:51 PM)
Take, for instance, Jay Ratliff

Eh, I'm not sold on him still being a good starting option at the 3-tech. Though I guess you can argue Melton coming off injury might not be one either.

What are your thoughts on Pat Sims? I hear PFF likes him.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
What are your thoughts on Pat Sims? I hear PFF likes him.

I looked him up after reading this post (never heard of Sims before). He had 0 sacks through 13 games last year and ended up with just 2, in a contract season. That's certainly not too impressive, though the Bears still need cheap, veteran help at DT for depth.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 02:40 AM)
Rapaport said it'll be a 1 year deal with an option.....Another tweet, from one of those guys, said he was only asking for 4 mill. So ya, I too will be disappointed if it is indeed just the 1/4 deal.....Esp. if they can't land Donald, or whoever they do get to play the 3T doesn't get after the QB like the Bears need em to.

Kind of an interesting contract. Basically a 1 year 5 million dollar deal, and if he's on the roster the first practice (or something) after next season his 3 year 8 mill per year option kicks in.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
Who are these options you speak of?

So far this offseason they have added or retained DL Idonije, Trevor Scott, Nate Collins, Ratliff as well as ends Houston, Young, Lane, and still retain Paea. They may not be huge names, but there is depth there. Much better than last season.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
Have I just not really noticed in past years, or are the Bears busier than usual this year?

I feel like last year we did everything on the first day.

However, they are busier this year because I believe they had more of their roster to fill out than almost every other team in the league. Virtually the entire defense were on their last year of their contract.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
So far this offseason they have added or retained DL Idonije, Trevor Scott, Nate Collins, Ratliff as well as ends Houston, Young, Lane, and still retain Paea. They may not be huge names, but there is depth there. Much better than last season.

Don't get me wrong, I like what they've done, but my post was made specifically about the 3 technique.

Pat Sims got himself a +14.7 overall rating last year, which would make him our best acquisition to date from that metric. From Week 8 onward, he was about +20. 1 missed tackle all season in what they judge were 30 obvious run stop attempts. +4 of his overall was in pass rush, meaning he was somewhat productive in that regard and would have looked very good on this team.

In previous years, he was not so good or consistent. Rookie - terrible, Soph - terrible. Then he was okay, several great games and several not good games for an overall neutral rating. Then bad. Then good in very little playing time. Then this season where he was great.

As for Ratliff, bear in mind that Dallas always ran a 1-gap 3-4, meaning Ratliff's position was basically a 3-technique tackle. This is as opposed to a guy like Vince Wilfork, who had to chew up two gaps and therefore had to be fat and strong as hell.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
@AdamSchefter

So it's Jared Allen as a Seahawk, per Ed Werder, and Devin Hester as a Falcon. Quite a non-hoops afternoon.

In case anyone missed it, this report is false...at least for now.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h

Tidbit 1 on Jared Allen: He's considering 3 places now, with walking away still an option. Should know by the weekend what his future is

Seahawks are obviously one of the teams, have to wonder if the Bears are another. From what has been reported the only teams he's been in contact with have been Seattle, Dallas, Denver, and Chicago. Denver is out after the Ware signing and it was reported that it was either gonna be Melton or Allen in Dallas, not both.

Seattle has to be the favorite, but I suppose he could be interested in Chicago.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
In case anyone missed it, this report is false...at least for now.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h

Tidbit 1 on Jared Allen: He's considering 3 places now, with walking away still an option. Should know by the weekend what his future is

Seahawks are obviously one of the teams, have to wonder if the Bears are another. From what has been reported the only teams he's been in contact with have been Seattle, Dallas, Denver, and Chicago. Denver is out after the Ware signing and it was reported that it was either gonna be Melton or Allen in Dallas, not both.

Seattle has to be the favorite, but I suppose he could be interested in Chicago.

I still think he ends up in Seattle.

Ex-Jet Sanchez now in pool of vet QBs worth Bears’ consideration

csnchicago.com

Bears general manager Phil Emery has left the door unlocked for the possibility of the team looking at ex-Jet quarterback Marc Sanchez, who was cut by New York after the team signed Michael Vick.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
no jared allen decision yet?

Nope, still waiting.

You'd have to think they're gearing up for someone who's gonna get paid more than the vet min.

I'm undecided on whether I'd rather have Allen or Clemons (the safety).

On 1 hand having a guy with Clemons range playing CF would be real nice. On the other hand, lining up Allen-Houston-Ratliff-Young in passing situations could be pretty sexy.

I'm kinda thinking Allen would be more of luxury and Clemons would give the team more.