2014 International Signing Period

Boopa1219

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
When are teams eligible to sign these international players? Around draft time?

The new period (and new pool value) begins July 2nd. But many verbal agreements are entered into before then (which is technically not allowed but happens anyway). No signings will be announced until then.

The Sox may have some money from 2013 still left though, as do other teams, so there could be signings before then. Likely no big ones though.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
Rockies were at 4.2 mil last year in the #3 spot so I would think we'd be closer to that number? I think you might be leaving out the additional 700k. Or are bonus allotments suppose to be down from last year?

"To calculate the bonus pool values, MLB created 120 “slot values,” with each team getting four slot values. Those slot values are added together, plus another $700,000, to get each team’s bonus pool for the 2013-14 signing period." - Ben Badler, Baseball America.

I added up all the slots individually, did not add the $700K. I believe the pool is expected to be about 10% higher this season, it rose 8.5% last year.

The Jays are still out using last years bonus to sign guys per mlbtr:

The Jays put some traded-for international spending money to use today in signing Dominican righty Hansel Rodriguez for $330K, explains Ben Badler of Baseball America. After selecting lefty Brian Moran in the Rule 5 draft, Toronto flipped his rights to the Angels in exchange for the 81st overall bonus slot, which boosted the team's total allotment just high enough to add Rodriguez without triggering any penalties. (2/5)

I'm extremely worried the Yankees will go all out this signing period. Reports are coming out they will spend up to $18 million or more and to try to go after every major player to rebuild their farm system. This is bad news for the rest of the league. Bad year to have only $5 milllion to spend. Also, worried some more teams might join in because talk of a 2016 International Draft and all the penalties would be thrown out the door with the spending overtures.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)
I'm extremely worried the Yankees will go all out this signing period. Reports are coming out they will spend up to $18 million or more and to try to go after every major player to rebuild their farm system. This is bad news for the rest of the league. Bad year to have only $5 milllion to spend. Also, worried some more teams might join in because talk of a 2016 International Draft and all the penalties would be thrown out the door with the spending overtures.

If more teams join in and try that, then it makes the money the Yankees spend less valuable.

Furthermore...if the Yankees do something like that, it will pretty much make an international draft inevitable. They'd be throwing away a system that has a slight advantage they can use by doing so.

Kiley McDaniel isn't too happy.....

Kiley McDaniel ‏@kileymcd 17m

Fun fact: if you stole my July 2nd/Yankees scoops and didn't credit me, you and/or your editor got an email today. More than just a few.

Kiley McDaniel ‏@kileymcd 11m

And if they don't act soon, the public shaming comes next. One huge outlet is on the clock right now. RT @ScottyChimp straight gangsta

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
An international draft is inevitable either way. The Sox should employ the exact same strategy the Yankees intend to do. Hahn has been making comments about all the money that they are putting towards the international talent maybe he wasn't just alluding to Abreu.

And when have the White Sox gone over the slot. Remember Jerry is our owner and follows the book with the slot recommendations

Edited by PolishPrince34

• 1 month later...

Hahn and Williams watched Huascar Ynoa yesterday (reportedly the top arm of the international prospects, brother of all-time record bonus pitcher Michael)

"Rick Hahn and Ken Williams are here watching the IPL travel team. I have Ynoa idea who they're here to see."

https://twitter.com/BenBadler/status/445258901236101120

"Huascar Ynoa mostly 88-92, worked out of some trouble but threw curveball for strikes and flashed feel for a changeup. Pretty good for 15."

https://twitter.com/BenBadler/status/445276974131343360

Have done a little reading about the international players and the Yankees big splurge this year potentially ruining things for other teams with big plans, like ours. But an understanding of their strategy has me not-so-worried, and I think we'll come out of it looking good. The Yankees have already bought up many of the top players, and apparently have all of their $11M budget committed. The thing of it is, we're talking about 15-16 y.o. 's just growing into their bodies, and many new studs will emerge before July 2. Would be ridiculous to call someone that young a "late bloomer".

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 11:18 PM)
Hahn and Williams watched Huascar Ynoa yesterday (reportedly the top arm of the international prospects, brother of all-time record bonus pitcher Michael)

"Rick Hahn and Ken Williams are here watching the IPL travel team. I have Ynoa idea who they're here to see."

"Huascar Ynoa mostly 88-92, worked out of some trouble but threw curveball for strikes and flashed feel for a changeup. Pretty good for 15."

How big is the international market for pitchers that age? Considering we don't like drafting high school pitchers I can't imagine we'd spend big on a 15 year old arm.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 11:18 PM)

How big is the international market for pitchers that age? Considering we don't like drafting high school pitchers I can't imagine we'd spend big on a 15 year old arm.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
I would imagine that the Cubs and Rangers will be trading some of their slot $$.

I imagine so too, in order to avoid the penalties.

Plus info regarding the top players should be coming out soon, the White Sox have been linked to Huascar Ynoa, who is widely considered to be the best pitching prospect available in this year's crop.

And it is widely believed that the Milwaukee Brewers have reached an agreement with Gilbert Lara for $3.4 million (Which is over their spending allotment), while other teams are still in pursuit for his services.

It is also rumored that the Yankees already have 6 deals in place.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
I imagine so too, in order to avoid the penalties.

Plus info regarding the top players should be coming out soon, the White Sox have been linked to Huascar Ynoa, who is widely considered to be the best pitching prospect available in this year's crop.

And it is widely believed that the Milwaukee Brewers have reached an agreement with Gilbert Lara for $3.4 million (Which is over their spending allotment), while other teams are still in pursuit for his services.

It is also rumored that the Yankees already have 6 deals in place.

All I have seen is one or two tweets saying the Sox were at an event of his. Is there more than that?

It looks like the Yanks aren't the only team planning on overspending.

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1375072.html

According to Kiley McDaniel, there are several deals in place and some of those deal exceed a teams entire pool.

Adrian Rondon -ss - $3.5M - Tampa - Pool is $1,998,100

Gilbert Lara - 3b - $3.2M - Milwaukee - Pool - $2,611,800

Anderson Espinoza - rhp - $2M - Boston - Pool - $1,881,700

Ricky Aracena - SS - $2M - Kansas City - Pool - $2,136,800

Juan Meza - rhp - $1.5M - Houston - Pool $5,015,400 - plenty of room to spare

The top player in this years class appears to be Colombian CF, Bryan Emery who supposedly has a $3M offer but no word on any deal.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
It looks like the Yanks aren't the only team planning on overspending.

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1375072.html

According to Kiley McDaniel, there are several deals in place and some of those deal exceed a teams entire pool.

Adrian Rondon -ss - $3.5M - Tampa - Pool is $1,998,100

Gilbert Lara - 3b - $3.2M - Milwaukee - Pool - $2,611,800

Anderson Espinoza - rhp - $2M - Boston - Pool - $1,881,700

Ricky Aracena - SS - $2M - Kansas City - Pool - $2,136,800

Juan Meza - rhp - $1.5M - Houston - Pool $5,015,400 - plenty of room to spare

The top player in this years class appears to be Colombian CF, Bryan Emery who supposedly has a $3M offer but no word on any deal.

Landing Huascar Ynoa would be awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Ben Badler has had a few July 2 preview pieces up at BA over the past few days (both subscriber only)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...al-bonus-pools/

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...names-to-watch/

No names linked to the Sox yet. Badler says that the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays and Brewers are expected to overspend their allotted bonus pool, with the Yankees possibly spending as much as $15m.