2014 International Signing Period

Boopa1219

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 07:29 AM)
Real happy with the system direction, could be top 5-10 by July, 2015

There is no guarantee we get either of the two players and even with adding them (assuming we did) and Rodon and the rest of the 2014 Draft group, there is no way we break the top 20.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
There is no guarantee we get either of the two players and even with adding them (assuming we did) and Rodon and the rest of the 2014 Draft group, there is no way we break the top 20.

I hope this is a joke, after Rodon we should already be top 15-20, then adding these guys and next year's picks and signings

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 07:56 AM)
I hope this is a joke, after Rodon we should already be top 15-20, then adding these guys and next year's picks and signings

16 year old players are going to have such little influence.

Who gives a s*** where the system is ranked anyways?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
16 year old players are going to have such little influence.

Who gives a s*** where the system is ranked anyways?

This. These international signings really don't do s*** for prospect lists. They are way too young and aren't going to make an impact in the minor league system for a few years if at all. They are just too young, and often too raw. It's fantastic that the Sox are going to add talent to the system but international signings generally don't leap to the top of prospect rankings.

We MIGHT sniff the top half on SOME lists. We've improved vastly, yes, but do not forget the depths from which we've climbed.

Wite is right: adding 16 year-olds won't move the needle at all this year or next, in terms of system rank. They might turn into guys that make a huge impact later, but not now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=int

MLB has a top 30 rankings out the July 2 prospects. The guys that have been linked to the Sox are ranked as follows.

Ynoa - 17

Nunez - 26

Alfaro - 28

The scouting report on Nunez is very enticing:

Standing 6-foot-2 and weighing close to 180 pounds, some have compared Nunez to a teenage Alex Rodriguez.

Overall, scouts like his medium-frame build, his bat speed and his power potential. He has also been praised for his fluid swing and balanced setup at the plate. The broad-shouldered teen can also hit the ball to all fields. The shortstop could end up at third base in the future but will likely stay in the middle of the infield for now because of his soft hands, quick feet and range. He also has an average but accurate arm.

The son of a colonel in the Dominican Republic's military, Nunez has been praised for his makeup and leadership abilities. Competitive and aggressive, he also played in international tournaments in Mexico and Venezuela.

Nunez is based in Santiago, Dominican Republic, and is trained by Aldo Marrero. The White Sox have expressed serious interest in the infielder.

MLB has a top 30 rankings out the July 2 prospects. The guys that have been linked to the Sox are ranked as follows.

Ynoa - 17

Nunez - 26

Alfaro - 28

I like how the Yankees are linked to like half the kids on that list. The Yankees are planning on breaking the bank for the international free agency class but it will be interesting to see exactly how much they decide to spend.

Ynoa - 17

Nunez - 26

Alfaro - 28

According to those reports, the Twins are now the favorites (which is usually code for has a deal in place) with Ynoa.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
If the Yankees want to spend over budget go ahead, but I hope they get the most severe punishment to send a message.

The Yankees pretty much want to sign all of the best guys this period, and will just have a down signing period the following year. They will be capped on what they can offer international prospects next year I believe. I'm at work and not able to do the research, but it's something like they can't offer a prospect more than $200,000. The Cubs have stipulations like that this signing period because of their overages last year.

Edited by DirtySox

Just so it's known, we made a Soxtalk top 25 prospect list shortly after Adolfo signed and we made it a point to NOT include him simply due to having no knowledge of what he can or can't do. It's going to be the same exact thing with these others.

If they hit the DSL and perform well at those young ages, then you will see them start to get included, but it's really not until they get state side do you see them ranked very highly.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
The Yankees pretty much want to sign all of the best guys this period, and will just have a down signing period the following year. They will be capped on what they can offer international prospects next year I believe. I'm at work and not able to do the research, but it's something like they can't offer a prospect more than $200,000. The Cubs have stipulations like that this signing period because of their overages last year.

You're right, I just wish the punishment was more severe.