2014 International Signing Period

Boopa1219

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
This is the one guy the Sox have been linked to.

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 36m

Huascar Ynoa will pitch in an IPL showcase game today in front of hundreds of scouts. One of the top July 2 pitchers: http://bit.ly/1sJ0Yhz

Small snippet from linked article:

While some teams won’t play in the million-dollar waters for a 16-year-old righthander, Marco Paddy, who runs international scouting for the White Sox, did so for Mexico’s Roberto Osuna and Venezuela’s Adonys Cardona when he was with the Blue Jays. White Sox president Ken Williams and general manager Rick Hahn went to Ynoa’s first game in Arizona in March to scout him, and while they didn’t see him at his best, the White Sox have the third-highest bonus pool ($4.27 million) and have been connected to Ynoa.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...hing-prospects/

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 15, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)

The results from Osuna and Cardona don't inspire much confidence in Paddy's ability haha. I have no statistical basis for this, but it seems like the high-bonus hitters generally are more likely to be solid major leagues than the high-bonus pitchers.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 15, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
The results from Osuna and Cardona don't inspire much confidence in Paddy's ability haha.

How old of guys are we talking about? If we threw $1 million at ten 16 year olds from latin America I might hope for 1-2 actual prospects to appear out of the group by the time 6-7 years have passed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
How old of guys are we talking about? If we threw $1 million at ten 16 year olds from latin America I might hope for 1-2 actual prospects to appear out of the group by the time 6-7 years have passed.

19 and 20, respectively.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 15, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
The results from Osuna and Cardona don't inspire much confidence in Paddy's ability haha. I have no statistical basis for this, but it seems like the high-bonus hitters generally are more likely to be solid major leagues than the high-bonus pitchers.

Osuna has a K/9 of 10.8 and K/BB of 4.64. Cardona has struggled with command, but he appears to be showing good stuff too with a K/9 greater than 9 every year while sitting at 10 for his career.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
BA (Ben Badler) now has Sox as favorite to land Huascar Ynoa (RHP, DR), their #9 prospect for 7/2. Article behind paywall.

Is he the only one Sox have an eye on? Who else have they been linked to and can we expect Hahn to sign any international guys? I know he would like to build through that also.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 22, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
Is he the only one Sox have an eye on? Who else have they been linked to and can we expect Hahn to sign any international guys? I know he would like to build through that also.

I wonder if the Sox might go after quantity given they threw a lot of money at Adolfo last season.

Give the stories about teams like the Yankees destroying their allotments, there might not be much left for them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
Give the stories about teams like the Yankees destroying their allotments, there might not be much left for them.

I'd bet they maybe go for one big fish like Ynoa, and get a handful of like 250-600k guys in that "next tier", for exactly the reason SS2K5 mentions.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
BA (Ben Badler) now has Sox as favorite to land Huascar Ynoa (RHP, DR), their #9 prospect for 7/2. Article behind paywall.

It is good to read but he's more joining the dots... Sox have money + are not linked with anyone else + KW/Hahn have scouted Ynoa = favourites.

Hopefully it happens though.

Ben Badler links the Sox to Dominican SS Amado Nunez, calling him their #1 offensive target, with an expected price tag of around $1m. Says he is an offensively minded SS that will likely outgrow the position. Projectable power. Currently he's 16, measuring 6'2", 175.

He also reiterates the Huscar Ynoa to Sox rumor.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...arias-and-more/

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 26, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Ben Badler links the Sox to Dominican SS Amado Nunez, calling him their #1 offensive target, with an expected price tag of around $1m. Says he is an offensively minded SS that will likely outgrow the position. Projectable power. Currently he's 16, measuring 6'2", 175.

He also reiterates the Huscar Ynoa to Sox rumor.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...arias-and-more/

I'd gladly take Nunez and Ynoa.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ May 26, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)
They're in on an outfielder I thought. Don't remember name or link.

Alfredo Despaigne, either 27 28, outfielder, Cuban playing in Mexico waiting to play in the mlb. unbelievable

power.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 26, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
I'd gladly take Nunez and Ynoa.

I would too, although I am only familiar with Ynoa. With that being said, I am highly anticipating this year's DSL team, with Luis Castillo finally along with other prospects like Cruz, Otano, Feliz and newer guys like Beltre, Feliz, and Reyes. Plus Micker Adolfo is making his debut with the new AZL team this summer.

Although I would love for Rick Hahn and the Sox bring in more scouts from other teams in order to improve the team from a scouting and player development standpoint, they have quickly put together one of the best international scouting departments in all of baseball in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Kiley:

Three more top Latin American prospects that all project for seven figures on July 2nd and don't appear to have deals in place yet are: Huascar Ynoa (RHP, Dominican and the younger brother of Michael Ynoa), Pedro Gonzalez (SS, Dominican) and Bryan Pena (OF, Dominican). Gonzalez has been mentioned with the Padres as they were the team with the most money not yet committed and were following him closely at Gonzalez's games that I attended last month. Gonzalez could get over $2 million, as could Ynoa (who the White Sox have been on, among other clubs), while Pena's bonus should be lower, down around $1 million or less.

http://t.co/Lk1A7FXoCm

Same as we've heard for a while now. Sox linked to Ynoa but nothing really concrete.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
From Kiley:

http://t.co/Lk1A7FXoCm

Same as we've heard for a while now. Sox linked to Ynoa but nothing really concrete.

The interesting part of that quote is that is says the Padres have the largest pool of money that is not already committed. The Sox have the third largest pool, so that would indicate to me that they have some deals in place.