Paulino apparently ahead of Rienzo

Princess Dye

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No surprise here. I will keep throwin this out there until people start to realize that Paulino has the chance to be a really good starter.... Sans 1 bad start, he has a 3.40 era over his last 153 innings as a starter.

If he stays healthy it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he puts up #3 type numbers.

He, not the draft pick, not the money, not the commitment, or not because Ervin Santana is a bit shakey, is the main reason I would avoid Ervin.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
Is there any chance that Rienzo could make it as our long man?

It's possible. I don't know what the Knights rotation will looks like but if there's a spot for him, I prefer to see him there. He was a boss his last 9 starts there and I prefer he stays stretched out and ready should an injury happen.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
So Paulino is blocking Rienzo. Who would have though that? Seriously though, they should groom Rienzo as a set up guy.

I think that's his ultimate role and I think he has the stuff to be a good one. Still, I'd keep him in the rotation for now and keep him starting and stretched out.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
So Paulino is blocking Rienzo. Who would have though that? Seriously though, they should groom Rienzo as a set up guy.

Can you please keep it to one f***ing thread. You are getting all the attention you are craving over there. Some of us want to actually talk about baseball and the team the Sox have now that the spring is starting.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
I think that's his ultimate role and I think he has the stuff to be a good one. Still, I'd keep him in the rotation for now and keep him starting and stretched out.

I think he can be a starter, but he REALLY needs to work on his command. I would love to see him in AAA learning how to keep the breaking ball down.

QUOTE (shakes @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
Can you please keep it to one f***ing thread. You are getting all the attention you are craving over there. Some of us want to actually talk about baseball and the team the Sox have now that the spring is starting.

You sound dead serious.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
I think he can be a starter, but he REALLY needs to work on his command. I would love to see him in AAA learning how to keep the breaking ball down.

Rienzo definitely still could benefit from working on stuff. That breaking ball was a really intriguing pitch last year, and supposedly it wasn't even his out pitch in the minors - everyone says his cutter was his out pitch. I like the big sweeping breaking ball he was throwing but it would really, really help if he could learn to change speeds on it - mix in the big breaker with a sharper breaking curve that drops farther out of the zone.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)

I think he could definitely benefit from more seasoning in AAA. I think it would be more worthwhile getting him starts there than as the swing man.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
As others have stated, Rienzo should be pitching opening day for Charlotte barring an injury to another member of the rotation. There's no argument to put him in the bullpen as we already have 6 guys that throw right handed and are better suited for the pen.

Yep. He needs to tighten up his command. If he does he can be a legitimate option for the rotation. I would also like to see him working on an out pitch to lefties.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
As others have stated, Rienzo should be pitching opening day for Charlotte barring an injury to another member of the rotation. There's no argument to put him in the bullpen as we already have 6 guys that throw right handed and are better suited for the pen.

Yep. He needs to tighten up his command. If he does he can be a legitimate option for the rotation. I would also like to see him working on an out pitch to lefties.

QUOTE (shakes @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)

Yes I agree. He's not going to throw anything by any good hitters though right? Dude needs to refine devastating corner control...until he just feasts on AAA. I hope he forces his way up sometime this year instead of breaking camp with the team because he was the best of a pile of s***.

He was just so homer-able last year. He would look brilliant for a couple innings and then just start tossing up softball pitches chest high. I honestly think he got really lucky on a lot of those hangers. He really easily could have a had a disastrous debut if not for a handful of shanked foul balls that could have been moonshots.

Edited by Eminor3rd