Paulino apparently ahead of Rienzo

Princess Dye

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
It's not about name value it's about track record and Paulino's track record is going to severely limit any return they may get for him. That's in a BEST case scenario.

I disagree. If he is throwing well and showing he is healthy, he will have good value.

Well, that's the other side of Paulino. He doesn't have the wear and tear on his arm from an elevated workload the last two seasons, so there's at least a 50/50 chance he can be productive.

Paulino or Belisario are both potentially high reward situations that can easily pay off in adding more young assets for the rebuild, just like we flipped Reed for Davidson.

Even Boggs.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 07:09 PM)
Who exactly said he IS going to be great? I think you are making stuff up and twisting people's words again.

I don't make up anything, and don't twist words. The fact is Paulino is 31, hasn't thrown a pitch in a major league game since Paul Konerko had an 1.100 OPS and anyone thinking he will make career highs in starts and innings and be better than he ever has been before, isn't using reality coming up with those thoughts.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 07:32 PM)
I don't make up anything, and don't twist words. The fact is Paulino is 31, hasn't thrown a pitch in a major league game since Paul Konerko had an 1.100 OPS and anyone thinking he will make career highs in starts and innings and be better than he ever has been before, isn't using reality coming up with those thoughts.

So who said he is going to be great?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)

He may or may not, DA. It's a shot in the dark. The Sox believe he hasn't reached his upside and they are not insane to think so. He's never even managed to pitch a full season because of injuries. No one knows what a healthy season looks like from him, but I'll trust the professionals to evaluate his health and potential before I'd trust you or anyone else here. And if the Sox want to risk one ninetieth or whatever of their payroll because they think he might be a good trade chip, then what the hell is the downside? I'd be livid if they gave him a huge contract, but they didn't. It's not even a SIGNIFICANT contract.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
Many posters here think it's a win if a player outperforms their contract regardless of whether the team is any better. There's something wrong with an acquisition when the best thing that can be said is if he is awful it doesn't hurt the rebuild. Low reward move that in the end does nothing.

Marty, you're ignoring posts again. You're the only one that believes "the best thing that can happen is if he's awful he wont hurt the rebuild." Stop pretending five people haven't explained that AND given an example of the best case scenario that happened within the last two years. If you think teams acquire players based on track record and NOT on potential, you haven't been paying attention to ANYTHING that's happened around baseball the past five years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 10:36 PM)
Does this debate have to enter EVERY SINGLE THREAD?!

Seriously, right! Santana has nothing to do with Paulino and Rienzo dueling for a starting rotation spot. Because people keep bringing up Santana throughout multiple threads tells me they are simply looking for attention and know that mentioning Sanatana's name will get them the attention they seek.

With the new acquisitions this off season you would think a few posters would be willing to talk more about those players instead of a player who isn't even on the team. Whine,whine, whine, Boohoo.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 12:37 AM)
kORMXC3.png

I'm guessing that's not licensed by MLB and/or the Blue Jays, lol.

Nobody thought Loiaza would do anything for us...Humber for nearly a full season....or that Bartolo Colon would be pitching this well into his late 30's/early 40's at his weight and conditioning level.

It's a negligible risk on Paulino and Boggs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 01:39 AM)
It's a negligible risk on Paulino and Boggs.

This is the point.

I'm (the) one who thinks Paulino will pitch really well this year, but I can't assume he'll stay healthy. I do think he is going to pitch very well. I've said I think the odds are just as good that he pitches as well as Jimenez and/or Santana. I have cited the last several starts Paulino has made, but they've come over a 3 year period due to injuries. I think he is a very good pitcher who has been injury prone. If he avoids the DL - that is no small 'if' - I think he can and will be the Sox 3rd best starter this year.

If Paulino gets hurt or Boggs bombs, you DFA them or don't bring them back next year. It's a drop in the bucket.

Paulino essentially has a two year deal if he performs, I would expect him to stay with the Sox and either be dealt this off-season or at the deadline next season. Not many teams will trade for Paulino for the stretch run this season given the wall he will likely hit when his innings accrue.

Boggs or Lindstrom are the pitchers that are most likely moved at the deadline this season.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 09:50 PM)
Marty, you're ignoring posts again. You're the only one that believes "the best thing that can happen is if he's awful he wont hurt the rebuild." Stop pretending five people haven't explained that AND given an example of the best case scenario that happened within the last two years. If you think teams acquire players based on track record and NOT on potential, you haven't been paying attention to ANYTHING that's happened around baseball the past five years.

Would you take Arrieta and Strope or Avisail Garcia?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
Peavy was also locked into an extra year of his contract to, which in this day an age, also has a price.

I'm sure if Baltimore wanted to extend Feldman at what Peavy is getting paid for 2014, they would not have had a problem.

Track record is a huge part of determining future performance.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
Peavy was also locked into an extra year of his contract to, which in this day an age, also has a price.

Peavy also had a track record of producing at a high level were Feldmans performance was more of an anomaly. Peavy will also likely bring back draft pick compensation, something Feldman was ineligible for due to a trade in the final season of his deal.