2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Yes, he was released

What? At 19th years old? What the hell happened? I mean, I know he was awful in his 2 rookie seasons in Bristol, but he was supposed to be such a tough sign out of H.S., that I figured they would have just kept him in rookie ball each year until he got older and improved. Seems like a short leash for a guy they tried hard to keep away from college.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
What? At 19th years old? What the hell happened? I mean, I know he was awful in his 2 rookie seasons in Bristol, but he was supposed to be such a tough sign out of H.S., that I figured they would have just kept him in rookie ball each year until he got older and improved. Seems like a short leash for a guy they tried hard to keep away from college.

He has spent a BUNCH of his life in extended spring at this point. That could probably drive a young man insane

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)

Maybe he has some demons.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)

Wow, that's shocking. To give up on a kid that young, there's probably something else going on to have prompted this move. I can't see us giving up on a young catcher regardless of how little he's played and how poorly he's performed.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
Wow, that's shocking. To give up on a kid that young, there's probably something else going on to have prompted this move. I can't see us giving up on a young catcher regardless of how little he's played and how poorly he's performed.

I would bet on that. Guys don't get quit on that easy without a good reason.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)

There has to be. I wonder from whom we can get an answer.

It might be an uncomplicated answer, like Sox having too many young catchers on the three low minors teams who are ranked ahead of Ayala. The writing was prob on the wall last year when he played about once a week at Bristol in his second pro year.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 07:04 AM)
It might be an uncomplicated answer, like Sox having too many young catchers on the three low minors teams who are ranked ahead of Ayala. The writing was prob on the wall last year when he played about once a week at Bristol in his second pro year.

I would bet it's more along these lines. They've worked with him enough, perhaps both on and off the field, and made a decision that he was no longer a fit in the organization. It could certainly be something complicated, but it's likely not that way.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
I would bet it's more along these lines. They've worked with him enough, perhaps both on and off the field, and made a decision that he was no longer a fit in the organization. It could certainly be something complicated, but it's likely not that way.

As hard as it is to find catching, if they saw something, they would have found a way to hang on to him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
As hard as it is to find catching, if they saw something, they would have found a way to hang on to him.

The Sox were going to have a hard time finding him AB's at C with what they have at that level now and is bat is too bad to play anywhere else. It's just as likely that the Sox did not feel he warranted a roster spot at this point than there was some off the field issue. With Hollenbeck there now and it probably came down to Ayala and Barraza, Barraza was seen as the much better defensive player when they were drafted and Ayala's bat was supposed to be good enough to play the OF if warranted.

Looking at the org depth chart for catchers:

AAA - Phegley - Gonzalez

AA - Smith - Medina - Sierra

A + - Navarez - Majarma

A - - Austin - Dowdy

PIO - Fisher - Stoner - Haupt

AZL - Hollenbeck - Barraza - Garcia

DSL - Gonzalez - Perez - Villarroel

Not a ton of prospects, a few guys that may eventually project to be starters and probably 3-4 guys that profile as backups. Ayala in his third full season seemed to show little improvement and just got caught up in the numbers.