2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
Or DL'd, as the Sox are wont to do.

Also should note, didn't see this earlier, the Sox released SS Jaime Pedroza.

Who's playing SS? Wagner? I really think they need to call up Demichele.

Sox also released Jake Floethe (spelling?) from Winston Salem.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
Who's playing SS? Wagner? I really think they need to call up Demichele.

Sox also released Jake Floethe (spelling?) from Winston Salem.

Floethe hadn't pitched in a long time, and was released a week or two ago.

As for SS at B-Ham, they only have four infielders on their roster now - Ravelo (who plays only 1B), Wagner, Farrell and Curley. Curley can play a competent SS, and Wagner is a 3B, so that means Farrell at 2B. Marrero can play 1B too but is listed as an OF. They're a little thin on skill INF's right now (probably why Ravelo played 3B for a game the other night).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
Floethe hadn't pitched in a long time, and was released a week or two ago.

As for SS at B-Ham, they only have four infielders on their roster now - Ravelo (who plays only 1B), Wagner, Farrell and Curley. Curley can play a competent SS, and Wagner is a 3B, so that means Farrell at 2B. Marrero can play 1B too but is listed as an OF. They're a little thin on skill INF's right now (probably why Ravelo played 3B for a game the other night).

Yeah I saw that, I think they still need another infielder up there, and in my opinion, DeMichele has earned a promotion.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
Yeah I saw that, I think they still need another infielder up there, and in my opinion, DeMichele has earned a promotion.

Could be, though I'm not entirely convinced he's ready. It would also alleviate some pressure in Kanny on their infield, as someone like Stringer could come up to W-S in a corresponding move. Then one of the rookie infielders, maybe Jake Peter, could head to Kanny.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
Could be, though I'm not entirely convinced he's ready. It would also alleviate some pressure in Kanny on their infield, as someone like Stringer could come up to W-S in a corresponding move. Then one of the rookie infielders, maybe Jake Peter, could head to Kanny.

I agree. Those would be the promotions I would make.

I've got some great news about our big speedy OF Adam Engel. Apparently he is INSANELY fast. Stoltz says he's faster than Micah.....

Nathaniel Stoltz ‏@stoltz_baseball Jul 19

Most of the few players who possess Adam Engel's crazy speed aren't anywhere near as big or strong.

Have never timed Engel, but I think he's the superior runner (to Micah Johnson).

I think Engel is faster, though. He just flies all over the place. Plus-plus range in center, first to third in a blink.

Micah's got tremendous speed, but I've never seen him just explode on the bases like Engel does.

If he can even hit .240 with a few walks, he'll be a nice player. Should have some pop, big speed/D value.

I've got to say that's the best thing I've heard about Engel. Of course he is too old for his league, but his bat can catch up some, it sounds like his speed and D should carry him.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:03 AM)
I've got some great news about our big speedy OF Adam Engel. Apparently he is INSANELY fast. Stoltz says he's faster than Micah.....

Nathaniel Stoltz ‏@stoltz_baseball Jul 19

Most of the few players who possess Adam Engel's crazy speed aren't anywhere near as big or strong.

Have never timed Engel, but I think he's the superior runner (to Micah Johnson).

I think Engel is faster, though. He just flies all over the place. Plus-plus range in center, first to third in a blink.

Micah's got tremendous speed, but I've never seen him just explode on the bases like Engel does.

If he can even hit .240 with a few walks, he'll be a nice player. Should have some pop, big speed/D value.

I've got to say that's the best thing I've heard about Engel. Of course he is too old for his league, but his bat can catch up some, it sounds like his speed and D should carry him.

Positive stuff but nothing new.

BA's best draft tools from 2013:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/best-tools-2013-draft/

Engel in there for best athlete, fastest runner and best defensive player.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 06:39 AM)
btw is that Andrew Mitchell the sox prospect that was mention as best secondary pitch?

Yes. From his BA draft scouting report "He has the best curveball among college prospects this year, a sharp 80-81 mph bender that can be unhittable.".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
Nathaniel Stoltz ‏@stoltz_baseball 41s

Danish 86-90 sinker, 73-78 SL, 70-78 change. Offspeeds slower than prior looks.

Danish adding and subtracting from all three pitches. Just threw a 70 mph change that was practically a screwball.

I don't know why, but even with his great season he's having, I just can't envision Danish as a SP at the MLB level. I have to keep telling myself that he's ridiculously young, hopefully he proves me wrong.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
Just saw that the Pirates called up Brent Morel from AAA where he was hitting .243 with 3 HR's.

Injury replacement, just another body for the bench. Maybe he gives really good back massages or knows the best place in Pittsburgh to get a burrito.

Someone mentioned the other day, Tanner Mendonca's absurd K rate. Check this out...

2013 in Rk League w/ Twins (age 21): 23.1 IP, 37 BB, 23 K (14.3 BB/9, 8.9 K/9)

2014 in Rk League w/ Sox (age 22): 10.2 IP, 2 BB, 20 K (1.7 BB/9, 16.9 K/9)

That's quite a turnaround. I've seen a report that he's got serious stuff, velocity and movement, just didn't have any control. If they've got him dialed in control-wise now, that could be a nice find.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 02:14 AM)
Anybody catch that Jeffry Santos was the PTBNL in the Doran trade? He's played 8 games in the Appy League affiliate for Houston and I just noticed that lol.

I tweeted it over FS a while back. Or RT'd some Houston writer, I think.