2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The key ones for us

Richard Smiley (Chicago, IL): Bill, Thanks for the chat. What impressions did people have of Micker Adolfo of the White Sox?

Bill Mitchell: Micker Adolfo was one of the big names in last year’s July 2nd international period. (His name was reported as Micker Adolfo Zapata at the time of his signing). He’s a very athletic 17-year-old outfielder with plus raw power, five-tool potential, and a frame that should add strength. His arm is already a plus-plus tool. He needs to significantly improve his pitch recognition and make better contact. High ceiling but still very high risk—keep an eye on him.

Mateo Kovacic (Milan, Italy): Anyone who missed the list you feel could be a breakout guy next year?

Bill Mitchell: I’ve already talked about Ti’Quan Forbes and Micker Adolfo, both who have enormous potential but are far from reaching that ceiling. A breakout next year for either player is very optimistic, but perhaps we’ll be talking about one or both of them in three or four years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
The key ones for us

There is also this one: @Jaypers413 (IL): Thanks for the chat, Bill. Had he qualified, would Rodon have unseated Jackson for the top spot? What were your impressions of him during his time there, and do you see him breaking camp with the Sox in April?

Bill Mitchell: Considering that Rodon was arguably the top player in the draft and that he’s closer to the big leagues than anyone else in the AZL this year, it’s safe to say that he would have ranked at the top. I saw both of his brief outings. He was rusty at first and had trouble locating his pitches, but by the second inning of his last start he was dominating. I see more minor league time in his future, but he should be in the big leagues to stay at some point in 2015.

Sickels on Sanburn in his A's top 20 review:

7) Nolan Sanburn, RHP, Grade B-: Age 23, posted 3.28 ERA with 73/25 K/BB in 71 innings for Stockton, nine saves. Throws four major league quality pitches but doesn’t have the durability to start. Traded to White Sox for Adam Dunn.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/9/25/6...pects-in-review

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2014...prospects-chat/

BA had a chat on the South Atlantic league top 20. Below are the relevant excerpts:

Nate (Chicago): Was Trey Michalczewski in consideration at all for the top 20?

J.J. Cooper: His name kept coming up. Him and Cleuluis Rondon were the two Kannapolis players who came closest to the list. Tyler Danish just missed qualifying because he was a few innings short. Rondon is an outstanding defender with serious questions about how much he’ll hit. Michalczewski showed legit power potential but most saw him as a future first baseman who can’t handle third base long term.

Also, for all I know this was posted somewhere, but below is a snippet, including a question answered from NS (FutureSox):

Matt (FutureSox) (Chicago): Did anyone get a look at Jake Peter? 7th rounder pounded the ball in PIO with a great contact rate, then was double-promoted to A+ as a 21 year old. How does he look at the plate? Did he get consideration for this list?

Bill Mitchell: Peter’s name came up as one of the better prospects on a thin Great Falls team, but he was already gone to A ball until I got to see the Voyagers. He’s got good hand-eye coordination and a solid knowledge of the strike zone. Defensively, his best position is second base where he makes all of the plays. Peter plays with a lot of energy and, according to his manager, makes the whole team better when he’s on the field. He looks to me like a potential utility infielder.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 08:44 PM)
a great catch on the interview.

do you or anyone think that Trey will have enuf power to be a first baseman?

Met/interviewed him in person last year right after the draft. Big frame, skinny guy at the time. Plenty of room to add mass/power but long term who knows? Ryan Sweeney was supposed to add a bit more power and become an all star and he never did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 01:35 AM)
Met/interviewed him in person last year right after the draft. Big frame, skinny guy at the time. Plenty of room to add mass/power but long term who knows? Ryan Sweeney was supposed to add a bit more power and become an all star and he never did.

an excellent comparison and for those who may point out, different position. I know

I am speaking from the hitting aspect.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 07:43 PM)
Also, for all I know this was posted somewhere, but below is a snippet, including a question answered from NS (FutureSox):

I understand the importance of defense, but good bat/below average defender at 3B is better long-term than a good bat/above average defender at 1B. They'll stick with him at 3B until he shows he can't play it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
Josh Norris and Bill Mitchell had some good stuff on twitter about Micker Adolfo yesterday. I can't go on twitter at work but it's worth posting if someone can find it. He had a homer, double, stolen base, and an impressive walk yesterday.

Notes and video in the notebook here.

Might be subscriber only.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 06:30 AM)
I understand the importance of defense, but good bat/below average defender at 3B is better long-term than a good bat/above average defender at 1B. They'll stick with him at 3B until he shows he can't play it.

I think that sort of comment is pretty premature given that he is a solid athlete. Guys can improve defensively.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
I think that sort of comment is pretty premature given that he is a solid athlete. Guys can improve defensively.

I absolutely agree and it's worth it for him to stick there until he shows he absolutely cannot handle it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
Clint Longenecker ‏@Clint_BA 2h2 hours ago

The most college-heavy drafts (as % of signed players in class) were NYY (96.2%), CWS (93.9%), SD (93.3%) and DET (90.3%) PHI (89.3%)

Not a good thing or a bad thing. It's just a thing. It's also hard to draw any sort of conclusion over it too other than them wanting to get warm bodies in the system to see how they perform and signing college guys who they are sure will sign as opposed to reaching for guys who may not based solely on the efforts of getting one Carlos Rodon signed and under contract.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)
Not a good thing or a bad thing. It's just a thing. It's also hard to draw any sort of conclusion over it too other than them wanting to get warm bodies in the system to see how they perform and signing college guys who they are sure will sign as opposed to reaching for guys who may not based solely on the efforts of getting one Carlos Rodon signed and under contract.

I was somewhat disappointed with the 2014 draft, except for the first 2 rounds. that was until

someone posted about saving money so the sox can sign Rodon.

the sox may have drafted players that may fill out the roster and help with numbers in the system

but still they need good prospects.

barring any FA's signing or not using that as an excuse, next draft, the sox need hitters.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 06:47 AM)
I was somewhat disappointed with the 2014 draft, except for the first 2 rounds. that was until

someone posted about saving money so the sox can sign Rodon.

the sox may have drafted players that may fill out the roster and help with numbers in the system

but still they need good prospects.

barring any FA's signing or not using that as an excuse, next draft, the sox need hitters.

If the White Sox come any where close to seeing the ceilings of Rodon and Adams, this years draft was a win.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 09:28 PM)
If the White Sox come any where close to seeing the ceilings of Rodon and Adams, this years draft was a win.

If Carlos Rodon is a good starting pitcher, this draft is a win. If you get value out of any of the other players they signed, it's icing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 07:22 AM)
If Carlos Rodon is a good starting pitcher, this draft is a win. If you get value out of any of the other players they signed, it's icing.

I'm not so sure about that, although it depends on the definition of "good."

We need at least 3-4 contributors from every draft, and at least one of them to be very good to catch up with all the bad drafts.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)

We need at least 3-4 contributors from every draft, and at least one of them to be very good to catch up with all the bad drafts.

3-4??? Really? On average, who hits on 3-4 draft picks?

You have unrealistic expectations.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)
3-4??? Really? On average, who hits on 3-4 draft picks?

You have unrealistic expectations.

I think that is me and I will also add greedy.

this is another point I believe, if the sox saved more money with other drafted players,

that money saved would go toward the signing of Rodon, esp with his agent demanding

more.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)

I'm not sure a single MLB team can average 3-4 contributors for every drafts.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
I'm not sure a single MLB team can average 3-4 contributors for every drafts.

With 6 years of control that would give you 24 guys prior to FA.

That basically sets you up to compete for the world series every year because you can trade a guy or two and sign big money FA's with no worries whatsoever since you have a loaded young roster. 3 draft successes per year over a 4 year period will put you in world series contention for half a decade.