2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
I am not an ESPN Insider anymore, but Dan Hayes tweeted that the he thinks the Sox may have 4 top 100 guys this year. Rodon, Anderson, Montas and......Hawkins maybe? He say's Montas MAY be the 4th, which means there is someone in front of him. My guess is Hawkins or Adams.

I would put Micah ahead of Hawkins.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 06:52 PM)
I am not an ESPN Insider anymore, but Dan Hayes tweeted that the he thinks the Sox may have 4 top 100 guys this year. Rodon, Anderson, Montas and......Hawkins maybe? He say's Montas MAY be the 4th, which means there is someone in front of him. My guess is Hawkins or Adams.

IMO, Adams is a clear #7 behind Johnson, Hawkins, & Danish. He's obviously an incredibly talented prospect, but his success has only come against rookie ball competition. He will shoot up the charts next year if he does well at Kannapolis.

Regardless, this is the strongest #1 through #7 the system has had in a long time.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
IMO, Adams is a clear #7 behind Johnson, Hawkins, & Danish. He's obviously an incredibly talented prospect, but his success has only come against rookie ball competition. He will shoot up the charts next year if he does well at Kannapolis.

Regardless, this is the strongest #1 through #7 the system has had in a long time.

I truly agree with you. my problems has always been, how to the so called professionals

grade them? are they graded on whether or not they will make the majors?

it is all subjective and varies with the person who is grading the prospects, making the list, or

using an idea of what that player is and should be,

re: Johnson and Hawkins will be gage on potential and can make one of the 4.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)

wow, I just thought of this. when the next batch of players move on up to the majors,

the system is going to take a huge hit. I can imagine the sox dropping lower than

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
wow, I just thought of this. when the next batch of players move on up to the majors,

the system is going to take a huge hit. I can imagine the sox dropping lower than

1) That's assuming they don't draft well and restock.

2) Who gives a s***? If Rodon, Montas, Adams, Danish, Hawkins, Micah and Anderson turn into MLB contributors, we're looking pretty.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
1) That's assuming they don't draft well and restock.

2) Who gives a s***? If Rodon, Montas, Adams, Danish, Hawkins, Micah and Anderson turn into MLB contributors, we're looking pretty.

nice f***ing language for a simple observation. I am glad the mods have that ability

to make simple observation.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
nice f***ing language for a simple observation. I am glad the mods have that ability

to make simple observation.

Don't take any slight to it, it wasn't intended as such.

It's just that if the White Sox keep graduating players and that's what keeps them from having a top rated farm system, so be it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 04:53 AM)

It's just that if the White Sox keep graduating players and that's what keeps them from having a top rated farm system, so be it.

that kool. no problems here. peace.

now with ref to what I was hoping for the response, was to discuss the next wave of prospects

and the importance of retooling the farm system. maybe get another point of view

of new prospects including the int'l prospect who the sox sign, getting their names known.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 07:01 AM)
that kool. no problems here. peace.

now with ref to what I was hoping for the response, was to discuss the next wave of prospects

and the importance of retooling the farm system. maybe get another point of view

of new prospects including the int'l prospect who the sox sign, getting their names known.

You have to remember that we're just seeing the first wave of Latin American signings hit stateside. It's taken a couple years to get going, but we should see regular inflows of talent coming from that channel going forward. That alone will move us up a few ticks in the system rankings, given that we had almost no presence in Latin America for a good chunk of time.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)

afterall of the point of a farm system is to produce major leaguers. Not to win BA awards.

Yes the BA or publication awards do not matter, but the farm system still needs some improving. The farm system is on the way up for sure, the Sox have been drafting pretty well since 2012 (When the CBA came into affect) and they have been consistently bringing in solid players from LA since they hired Marco Paddy. They may be ranked in the lower third of the ranking still, but they have made major strides but you have to remember that its going to take a few years for these guys to rise through the system. So in a year or two they might be ranked in the top ten or fifteen. The Sox could flip some of their major league assets for prospects during the offseason and that could potentially bring in some major prospects into the fold.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
Yes the BA or publication awards do not matter, but the farm system still needs some improving. The farm system is on the way up for sure, the Sox have been drafting pretty well since 2012 (When the CBA came into affect) and they have been consistently bringing in solid players from LA since they hired Marco Paddy. They may be ranked in the lower third of the ranking still, but they have made major strides but you have to remember that its going to take a few years for these guys to rise through the system. So in a year or two they might be ranked in the top ten or fifteen. The Sox could flip some of their major league assets for prospects during the offseason and that could potentially bring in some major prospects into the fold.

then we can really trade Sale or Q for those prospects, right

:lol:

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
You have to remember that we're just seeing the first wave of Latin American signings hit stateside. It's taken a couple years to get going, but we should see regular inflows of talent coming from that channel going forward. That alone will move us up a few ticks in the system rankings, given that we had almost no presence in Latin America for a good chunk of time.

you are right, after this wave of players move on up or get to an age where prospects

list won't mention them, I would like to see them named. I guess Micker will be the

leading prospect for that group.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan (Chicago)

One doesn't hear much mention of Rick Hahn as a top-flight GM, but his track record thus far suggests he's quite good at his job. What are your impressions of him?

Klaw (4:43 PM)

I think he's been a top-flight GM so far. They've become a much better drafting/developmental org since he took over. I was talking to a scout there I've been friendly with for a long time, and I could hear his excitement about all of the arms they've got - and he's right. It's the best group of pitching prospects they've had in a decade.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
Dan (Chicago)

One doesn't hear much mention of Rick Hahn as a top-flight GM, but his track record thus far suggests he's quite good at his job. What are your impressions of him?

Klaw (4:43 PM)

I think he's been a top-flight GM so far. They've become a much better drafting/developmental org since he took over. I was talking to a scout there I've been friendly with for a long time, and I could hear his excitement about all of the arms they've got - and he's right. It's the best group of pitching prospects they've had in a decade.

I am one of Hahn's biggest fans. This is encouraging to see as we all know we have promising young players coming up soon.

Ben Badler and Josh Norris of Baseball America were discussing the Yankees system being underrated on twitter. Badler said that there are many systems that are worse. I suggested the Angels and asked his thoughts on the White Sox. He said that Angels and White Sox both near the bottom still. I disagree. I think White Sox are firmly in the mid to late teens but here is the chat transcript:

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 1h1 hour ago

It's trendy to take shots at the Yankees farm system, but I'm looking at some of our Top 30s. Several teams in much worse shape.

James Fox ‏@JamesFox917 47m47 minutes ago

@jnorris427 @BenBadler Angels the worst system? White Sox out of the 20s and into the teens yet?

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 42m42 minutes ago

@JamesFox917 @jnorris427 They're both toward the bottom of the pack for me.

James Fox ‏@JamesFox917 41m41 minutes ago

@BenBadler @jnorris427 Really? Rodon, Adams, Danish, Montas, Anderson, Johnson, Hawkins? They have 3-4 top 100 guys. Much improved system

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 39m39 minutes ago

@JamesFox917 @jnorris427 They have a few good prospects at the top, but no better than what the majority of teams have. The rest is thin.

James Fox ‏@JamesFox917 37m37 minutes ago

@BenBadler @jnorris427 Interesting. Ill take my chances with their pitching. Most theyve had in years. Not saying much though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
Ben Badler and Josh Norris of Baseball America were discussing the Yankees system being underrated on twitter. Badler said that there are many systems that are worse. I suggested the Angels and asked his thoughts on the White Sox. He said that Angels and White Sox both near the bottom still. I disagree. I think White Sox are firmly in the mid to late teens but here is the chat transcript:

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 1h1 hour ago

It's trendy to take shots at the Yankees farm system, but I'm looking at some of our Top 30s. Several teams in much worse shape.

James Fox ‏@JamesFox917 47m47 minutes ago

@jnorris427 @BenBadler Angels the worst system? White Sox out of the 20s and into the teens yet?

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 42m42 minutes ago

@JamesFox917 @jnorris427 They're both toward the bottom of the pack for me.

James Fox ‏@JamesFox917 41m41 minutes ago

@BenBadler @jnorris427 Really? Rodon, Adams, Danish, Montas, Anderson, Johnson, Hawkins? They have 3-4 top 100 guys. Much improved system

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 39m39 minutes ago

@JamesFox917 @jnorris427 They have a few good prospects at the top, but no better than what the majority of teams have. The rest is thin.

James Fox ‏@JamesFox917 37m37 minutes ago

@BenBadler @jnorris427 Interesting. Ill take my chances with their pitching. Most theyve had in years. Not saying much though.

I respect Badler, but I disagree with him on this also. A lot of teams aren't even stacked at the top than we are. The depth in the farm has certainly gotten better and I believe it should get out of the 20s.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)
I am one of Hahn's biggest fans. This is encouraging to see as we all know we have promising young players coming up soon.

The proof is going to be the big league team in a couple years. If they're still a 73 win team in 2016 then Rick Hahn will have made some serious mistakes, and it's too early to know how some of his moves will work out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
The proof is going to be the big league team in a couple years. If they're still a 73 win team in 2016 then Rick Hahn will have made some serious mistakes, and it's too early to know how some of his moves will work out.

I agree. Hahn has done well with most of his trades so far, its now a matter of wait and see if he spends the money he has wisely on the right players. So far he's 1-2 (Abreu and Keppinger).

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
I respect Badler, but I disagree with him on this also. A lot of teams aren't even stacked at the top than we are. The depth in the farm has certainly gotten better and I believe it should get out of the 20s.

I hate to say this, but I disagree. the prospect while promising and talented, compare

to other systems, the sox is lacking.

we, the fans are excited, b/c there is really nothing to get excited about. now the

system is rebuilding and the sox have a few major prospects to get excited about.

look at last #1 top 10 for the sox. I am not talking about 2014 and Rodon, I am

talking about the yr beore.

got it, now rate it against the other teams #1 in the top 10. the sox are a long way still

from being really nice. however the sox do have some really young interesting

prospects.

here is another thing to look at. when Rodon and Montas moves on up. the systems

is going to take a major hit. look at the #11-20. see any major league prospect | players?

someone who will be ranked in the top 10-20 of all prospects????

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 10:48 PM)
I agree. Hahn has done well with most of his trades so far, its now a matter of wait and see if he spends the money he has wisely on the right players. So far he's 1-2 (Abreu and Keppinger).

Hahn, until I can see it somewhere else, screwed up last yr. he should have

had and signed some other fa's to be as backup, for the "what if" injury.

this past yr system was kind of bare. imagine if the sox had some reliable

players who could've step him. well, who could tell but I will say, the team

would have done better.

now with last yr as a learning tool, I hope the sox does not make the same

mistake. plus wow, next yr draft is starting to look exciting with lots of talent.